"Running in" new car?

mykaloon

Reaction score
I'm expecting to take delivery of my new A4 Avant 2.0 tdi (170) Sline in a few weeks. Any advice on how one should drive ones new vehicle?

I know that nowadays modern engines don't require to be "run in" like they were years ago where you had to keep below 50mph but is there a best way to look after the engine in it's early life which may lead to less problems as it clocks up the miles?

The last new car I had was a MKIII Golf GTi and when I took delivery the guy told me that the engine had already been tested during manufacture at full speed so I shouldn't worry too much about how I drove it! Still tended to take things easy in the early months until things started to loosen up.

I've read somewhere in the past that giving your new engine a bit of a workout every so often aids the sealing of rings or something - not too mechanically minded but would appreciate any comment on this so I'm giving my new baby the care and attention it deserves!

Thanks in advance.

Let it warm up and then drive it as you would any car.

That's what I did with our 130PD and it hardly uses any oil. Haven't had it dynoed to see what power it's making.

drive it normally, but don't cane it for the first 1,000 miles

but still give it some load, like accelerating up hill on a motorway in top gear, for example

again, I got a 130 TDI

I have an A4 170 s-line too and I have been running it pretty gently for the first 5k miles. I really believe that you will have a smoother and quieter engine if you look after it for the first 2k to 3k. It hasn't used a drop of oil yet and it is really performing well without any clatter. In contrast my friend is a fleet salesman for VW with a passat 170 from new. He has ragged it and it is using oil and is noticeably noisier. The message is RUN IT IN! It cannot do the engine any harm and the benefits are real.

Phil's Barber said:
I have an A4 170 s-line too and I have been running it pretty gently for the first 5k miles. I really believe that you will have a smoother and quieter engine if you look after it for the first 2k to 3k. It hasn't used a drop of oil yet and it is really performing well without any clatter. In contrast my friend is a fleet salesman for VW with a passat 170 from new. He has ragged it and it is using oil and is noticeably noisier. The message is RUN IT IN! It cannot do the engine any harm and the benefits are real.

Does he rag it from cold though? That IS bad for an engine.

I just let mine warm up then drove it normally.

Take it easy for the first thousand miles but make the engine is pushed to different revs - I tried not to push mine over 4000rpm until the thousand mile mark. Its six months old now and approaching 10K - and still sounds a peach!!

yeah, just like the Navman says, I would personally not rag the Sh1t outta it until its passed about 1000 miles. Treat it like a lady! (Guess it depends how you treat a lady) and it will still spend all your money and drive you up the wall! only kidding. You wont see the best out of its economy side for at least 5000+ miles so dont be put off by that. 1000 miles will come up faster than you think and then you can really let open the taps on her.

cooky

Thanks for all the replies to date. Looks like the general consensus (which I kinda expected) is to not try anything silly in its early life. Then once I've reached 1,000 miles I can open things up a bit until about 3,000 miles when things are settled in and time to have some fun.

Will have to try to stick to keeping below 4000rpm for a bit which shouldn't keep me back too much once I'm up into 5th or 6th.