A4 Cab ordered today - did I get any of my options wrong?!!

timjhoward

Audi Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All,

This is my first post here, I registered yesterday just after I faxed off the order for my A4 Cab! I wish I had found the site months ago as it would have assisted with my decision over specs and options greatly!

It feels fantastic to have a car that I am going to be proud of once again. Historically I posted on the seatcupra.net forum back in the glory days of my Leon Cupra, however the past few years have been very dark since I made the jump from VAG to Saab, a decision I have regretted every day since due to endless faults and issues with my 93 saloon.

I am finally appoaching the last few months of my contract and have made the jump back to VAG, this time to an A4 Cabriolet, I have high expectations, and I'm fairly confident I will be happy!?

Anyway the point of this post was to say hello, but also to ask peoples opinion of the spec I have ordered. I have to point out that as a company car I am limited in what spec I can order, and sadly the S-Line was out of my reach, though hopefully the options I have ordered will have almost made the car visually as appealing, just a shame it won't handle as well. I also am locked into ordering a diesel vehicle and couldn't run to the 3.0 so my only choice was the 140bhp 2.0TDi.

Ok, the spec -

A4 Cab 2.0TDi Sport

Phantom Black with black hood
18" 9 spoke alloys
Pearl Nappa Leather - Wine
Xenon Plus Headlights
BOSE
iPod Connector
Accoustic hood
Heated mirrors & washers
Accoustic parking system - rear
Colour DIS
No rear model inscription

I would have liked the electric seat adjustment, auto dimming and folding mirrors, gutted the DVD sat nav isn't being offered at £500 as it is on the Saloon and Avant, and really couldn't spend any more on extras and couldn't entertain the £1750 for the sat nav option when I have a TomTom which I can use.

So did I make any big ommisions, or specify anything I shouldn't have, I guess the accoustic hood is my biggest worry, I love good quality audio, and whilst the BOSE might not be the best I didn't want it to have to compete with road/wind noise, but to be honest neither of the two A4 Cab's without this option I have driven have suffered much.

Cheers
Tim

Have they given you a date for your car yet??? Only as they told me 12-16 weeks when I ordered mine.
I received a call today saying it is coming in this week . . . . 9 WEEKS. Must be a record for the stealers to get a car in before they say they would.

Looks like it'll be a nice car, look forward to seeing the pics. If you did want the RNS-E Navigation you could always retrofit it . . . . . It does look spot on.
Didn't you fancy the S-Line model??
I have driven one with and one without the Acoustic hood option, it did make a difference, not overly as if you was in a saloon, but it was much better. And it is supposed to be better/warmer in colder weather too, anyone clarify on that???

Tim,

Seriously nice car there mate!!, well done for ditching that Scaab!! used to have a leon cupra myself and to be honest I miss it at times!

I think you got the spec spot on, xenons are a must (wish I had some), the only other things I wish I had are elec seats. Used to have them on the cupra and found it was great for when the mrs had been driving. Now every time I drive my car I can never get the seat quite right!. Might have gone for a red hood, red leather but thats down to personal taste!

The engine should have bags of torque........with a remap :icon_thumright:

Aso for the sat nav, save on dealer prices, 500 quid from ebay, 40 quid for a dvd player, 100 ish for a freeview tuner and if you dont want to fit it yourself, I know of a guy who does sat nav installs for Audi, propper comapany etc for about £120.

Thanks for the responses guys,

phil1978 said:
Have they given you a date for your car yet??? Only as they told me 12-16 weeks when I ordered mine.

Well I am not quite at that stage yet, my order has gone in to the leasing firm, it will be another two weeks before it is formally ordered with Audi. I was anticipating a long lead time, my car is not up for renewal until the 17th December so even if it arrives before that I won't get it until then sadly (still I am sure it can't be wetter than this June/July!).

phil1978 said:
Didn't you fancy the S-Line model??

I did fancy the S-Line model, and it may have actually saved me a little money as I ended up ordering things like leather, 18" alloys and heated mirrors/washers seperately. However it is a company car ordered on an intranet based system, we can only order cars in bands appropriate to our level in the firm. The S-Line got moved one band above earlier in the year, I was gutted! Still it did allow me to go for a different colour leather at least so not all bad.

Stevey.D said:
I think you got the spec spot on, xenons are a must (wish I had some), the only other things I wish I had are elec seats. Used to have them on the cupra and found it was great for when the mrs had been driving. Now every time I drive my car I can never get the seat quite right!. Might have gone for a red hood, red leather but thats down to personal taste!

Got Xenons on my Saab and they are probably the best feature, they are functional but also cosmetically I think they look great, Audi Xenons look fantastic IMO, they might be an expensive option but I had to have them.

Really fancied the electric seats, had them on the Cupra too and loved them, the Saab has them with the addition of seat memory which is great (until it failed!) as I am 6'2 and the mrs is 5'1!! But cosmetics won the day over function and at £500 they were dropped!

Toyed with the idea of a red hood to match the interior, saw it on a demo car and thought it was just a little too 'bling' for me (and the other half didn't like it!), though probably a very good no cost option for those that would have chosen it.

Stevey.D said:
The engine should have bags of torque........with a remap :icon_thumright:

Remap is high on the agenda once I have a few miles on the car, it transformed the performance of the Saab, just need to research my best option in terms of warranty etc. No doubt there are lots of posts about it on here!

Tim, welcome to the forum. :)

Looks like a v.nice spec Cab you have on order. On thing I would strongly recommend is the interior auto-dimming mirror. They work very well on Audis, and Xenons behind you at night look much less tiring with the auto-dim. Don't bother with exterior auto-dims though!

Teutonic Tamer: Are the exterior auto dims not that good then??

I cant remember, but I think they were part of the comfort pack when I ordered mine, so no choice in the matter really.

mjsewell said:
Leather and no heated seats? :ohmy:

Well I did consider the heated seats, but to be honest I've had leather in my last two vehicles without any heating and it really hasn't bothered me. I had an Alfa Brera on demo a few weeks ago with them and didn't think I'd use them (that said it was early July and not February!) Now if there was some way to cool them in the summer then that would be a different matter!

Teutonic_Tamer said:
Tim, welcome to the forum. :)

Looks like a v.nice spec Cab you have on order. On thing I would strongly recommend is the interior auto-dimming mirror. They work very well on Audis, and Xenons behind you at night look much less tiring with the auto-dim. Don't bother with exterior auto-dims though!

Thanks for the advice on the auto dimming mirror, however I am now in the 'cooling off' period with our lease firm and to change the spec would mean starting the process once again.

My other problem is that our company scheme with the lease firm only allows us to spec a certain value of options. The absolute essentials wiped out much of my budget (leather, xenons, 18" alloys) and I picked the best fit I could with the smaller options. BOSE and iPod connection were another 'must', I have folding mirrors on my Saab and the only time I have used them is passing vehicles on narrow roads in the Lake District, so I just went with the heated mirrors, to have specified the auto dim I would have had to drop something like the accoustic hood (at a similar cost) so I tried to select those options I really needed - not 100% convinced that the hood was one of them, but that's the gamble I guess!

It is a shame, I will miss the auto-dimming function as I have it at present. I think my one critisicm of Audi would be that the standard specification on such a costly car is quite mean. I do realise this is a trend with manufacturers in this bracket so I didn't expect any different, but was amazed when I found out that heated mirrors isn't standard, my other half's Vauxhall Corsa has them! Still, why give something away that you can get away with charging for!

I know what you mean with the heated mirrors!! Almost every small car has them - and if you're parking outdoors in Winter they make a massive difference!

I reckon you got a decent spec, unfortunately the list is endless - the only thing I would have got on top is heated seats - in a Cab when the hood is down in the evening they definitely make a difference

Take some pics when its here and enjoy!!