My new car experience

MyNewCar

Reaction score
Well, after 5 months I finally got my A4 Avant 2.0TFSI S-line SE in mid-May. Brilliant car.

But, after 2 weeks, I discovered the drivers footwell was flooded. Took it back to the dealer and didn't hear from them for 3 days. Finally, car is ready, some engine bay bung missing or replaced. Thing is, the interior plastics and alu was scratched all over the place, not withstanding that they had obviously left the blowers on full and the engine running for 5 hours+. Looks like they maybe took the seat out, scratches on the seat and b-pillar too. So I took it back. Reluctantly it was agreed that they would replace various bits, but I found it hard to push for everything to be replaced, so some scratches would remain, like the side of the seat plastic.

Anyway, nearly a week later I get the car back again, only to find on getting in that the handbrake surround is falling off. Well, they fix that on the spot but I notice that this time they've scratched the kickplate, and I think, I just wanna get out of here.

Only, I get home and discover that, guess what, the drivers footwell is completely flooded. (I'm no car mechanic, but I reckon its the windscreen that is leaking....)

So now the car has been back for nearly another week, I still haven't heard from them.

I might have expected some teething problems, but the way they've been handled have left me seriously disappointed. I might as well have bought secondhand.

I'm not one to go out and sue people, but perhaps I should ask for an extended warranty or something. What do people think?

How old is this car?
A flood would constitute a serious defect, I'd be thinking about handing them the car back as not fit for purpose.

Car was delivered May 15. Discovered the leak after 2 weeks. Having waited 5 months I'd quite like them to just fix it, but....

get it back to them and tell them you don't want it, or you could have all sorts of problems in store.
I don't know of any car thats designed so that a grommet holds back a torrent of water.

Agree with A4Quattro, the car is not fit for purpose, you need to make this clear, even though they have attempted to fix it, badly, You really need to get on the case with letters to the principal dealer and Audi UK.

my works van (VW caddy) was delivered with a missing grommet. water would **** in and land all over the dash, radio etc. took it to the local VW dealer (not the one it came from) and they didnt give a rats. told me to pay for the grommet or take it back to the dealer it came from! suffice to say they dont get ANY of the service business I was planning to give them. expensive mistake.the grommet cost 26p (supplied FOC by the dealer who sold the van).

MyNewCar said:
Car was delivered May 15. Discovered the leak after 2 weeks. Having waited 5 months I'd quite like them to just fix it, but....

Have you involved Audi Customer services? I'd get in touch with them and explain the whole problem (by phone and by letter - cc'd to the dealer involved). If cs don't rectify it to your satisfaction, I'd think about getting trading standars involved. Keep a good record of dates and conversations with the dealer, and if you've given them enough chance to rectify the problems and you're still not happy, seriously look at returning the car.

I guess I should wait to see what state the car is in when I eventually get it back. But I wonder if I should ask for a free extended warranty - can they do that for say years 4/5?