AH FabricationsVolks Autos
    1st Gear

Status

Thumbs up Conti Sportcontact 3's

As some of you may have read, I had some probems with 4 Goodyear F1's since fitting them to my car, awful vibration through the whole car, but mainly at the rear.
    I had the wheels balanced a number of times over the last 2 months, swapped front to rear etc... No difference 40mph upwards, it was awful, a real rollercoaster ride !

The car when into Audi as I thought it must be a suspension issue, they changed the wheels and confirmed it was the tyres, I drove the car with a different set of wheels - Perfect - It seems the tyres were out of shape.

After a mornings work on the phone to Goodyear and the tyre shop, they agreed to change the tyres and offered me 4 Conti Sportcontact, I thought they would be contact sport 2, but they fitted 3's as above.

The feel of the car is vasly different to how it drove on the F1's, quieter, more composed, it justs sits on the road so much better than it ever has before..

Has anyone else had any problems with F1's, and has anyone had any experiance of the Continential ?

I'm confident my next set of tyres will be Continential.

Cheers.
    Phanton Black A4 2.0 TDI Multi, B&O, AMI, NAV, 19" wheels

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Anyone have any feedback re Continential tyres ?

1st Gear

Status
    I've got factory fitted Conti 3's on the TT and very happy with them.

Excellent grip in both wet and dry conditions and very little tyre roar.

Only downside is that 19 inchers don't come cheap.
    Audi TT coupe 3.2 quattro S-tronic - quattro GmbH 19" RS4 style alloy wheels - Silver metallic - Magma red leather - Audi Magnetic Ride - Symphony II - Multi-function Steering Wheel - xenon plus headlights

3rd Gear

Status
    Here's my re post of the Conti's that were on my A3 if you want feedback on these tyres, a picture paints a thousand swear words. All the damage you see was on the inside edge of the wheels and not spotted until they were changed. From others posts, I am not alone with this damage.

The damage was on three out of the four tyres.

The only Conti's I will ever use now are on my mountain bike and I must say, they are pretty good. Funny though, I have sort of lost faith in Conti's for the car.....

You may ask FJtwelve in the handling forum, he is a one man test bed for these, as he does mega miles in a short time. He has some Conti's fitted too.

Hope this helps...
    Coming back to Audi with an A3 Tdi Sportback Quattro... but the 220bhp T5 was epic....

1st Gear

Status
    Thats not good. . . . People rave about F1's on here, but my 1st and only experiance of these has been poor.

2nd Gear

Status
    I've been through a set of contact 2s (16K miles not bad for my mota)
    Now Im on contact 3s! Done 4k no probs so far!
    Seem like good tyres to me.
    Soon - S4 Avant quattro Black Edition

Now - A4 Avant 3.0TDi quattro Black Edition

GreasedMonkey HoofHearted

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rickquattro
    Here's my re post of the Conti's that were on my A3 if you want feedback on these tyres, a picture paints a thousand swear words. All the damage you see was on the inside edge of the wheels and not spotted until they were changed. From others posts, I am not alone with this damage.

The damage was on three out of the four tyres.

Yes, but what you have failed to mention is two crucial issues. Firstly, those tyres are for the US and Canada market only - the word "tire" is a dead-givaway, along with the fact that they are "EtremeContact, which is not officially available in Europe. The other give-away is the web site - the dot com is the US site, whereas European tyres are dot de.

Secondly, those are M+S, or Mud and Snow tyres, and being as daisys are poping up, I really don't think they were being used appropriately (though I could be mistaken!)

At the end of the day, the ContiSportContact (2 or 3) are an OEM fitment on many high performance and prestige cars, particularly notable examples would be Audi S models and Porsches, so they are a very competent and dependable "all round" tyre.

Yes, there are better boots available, but the Goodyear F1 GSD3 certainly isn't one. If it were any good, it too would be on the OEM fitments, just like the Conti and Michelin.
    Sean - Independent Motor Vehicle Technician (retd)
    ------
    2007 Audi B7 (8EC) RS4 quattro saloon 4.2 FSI V8 32v (BNS) (with ceramic brakes ) - V-max = 9.8mpg @ 172 mph - WOW
    2006/7 VW A5 (1K) Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr 2.0T FSI (BWA) DSG, fully loaded, colour coded,
    1998/9 Honda CBR600FX - the blueberry trifle

2003 Audi B6 (8E) S4 quattro saloon 4.2 V8 40v (BBK) 6sp man, fully loaded (gone, but not forgotten)

6th Gear

Status
    Yeah I put continentals on my previous car 2.0 tdi 140 sport excellent tyres had them one my golf tdi as well got 30Ks out of them good grip in wet and dry weather alike.Current car has pirelli rossos on and they are showing considerable wear already 4600 miles (fronts) needless to say contis will be going on probably around 10-12k as rossos are made out of chocolate.
    2007 Sportback S Line Tdi 170 Avus,Bose,Multi function steering wheel, Electric Lumbar support,Front centre armrest,
    Storage pack,Through load system,Folding mirrors,Non smoking pack

2009 BMW K1300S, ABS, ASC,OBC, heated grips