Monster MotorsportVolks Autos

Thread: Wheel Balancing

1st Gear

Status

Wheel Balancing

Since having 4 new corners, the wheels have not been the same. They have been balanced and re-balanced by a few tyre fitters but there is still some vibration from the front at 60mph and some coming from the back....

I've heard that the best way to balance a wheel is whilst on the car as it takes the hub etc into consideration..

Does anyone know where this can be done ? I'm in Yorkshire but travel and I'm prepared to get it sorted...

Any advice is welcome, cheers
    Phanton Black A4 2.0 TDI Multi, B&O, AMI, NAV, 19" wheels

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Anyone help ?

1st Gear

Status
    Sorry to ask again gents, can anyone help with this please ? ?

Controversial & Contradictive

Status
    So it's defo not the balancing then? Other causes could be alignment, buckled/damaged alloy or knackered wheel bearing. I always get the alignment done after new tyres, so it may be worthwhile trying that first as it's only about 70.
    53 A4 2.5TDi Quattro Sport 180 Tiptronic. Heated Buffalino leather, DVD Sat Nav RNS-E, TV, Bluetooth, 6 cd, BOSE, Colour DIS, Cruise Control, Auto lights and mirrors, Interior light pack, Heated mirrors.

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks for the reply... Take a look at my new thread "lumpy rear".. I don't think it's the alignment - It sits perfect on the road - straight wheel and no pulls to the left or right.... I think it's a suspension problem.
    Took the car to a small independent tyre dealer today - Top bloke - He checked the wheels were not buckled and re-balanced the wheels...

GreasedMonkey HoofHearted

Status
    Couple of comments here.

Firstly, if you had to pay extra at your independent tyre fitter to get them balance properly, then I trust you got this refunded from the original supplying tyre dealer!

Who/where did you get the tyres from originally?

If you repeatedly had them re-balanced on the same machine, and they were still not correct, you need to ask to view the calibration certificate for the wheel balancer. They can NOT refuse to show you this. They need recalibrating every 12 months. If the Cal-Cert is over 12 months, or they refuse to show you, then complain to Trading Standards.

Also, I'd personally avoid Kwik-fit, as they have a policy not to dynamically balance (inner and outer row of weights) wheels, and merely use the central single line static balancing. This may be fine on pram wheels, or space saver spares, but not on wide wheels/tyres found on modern cars.
    Sean - Independent Motor Vehicle Technician (retd)
    ------
    2007 Audi B7 (8EC) RS4 quattro saloon 4.2 FSI V8 32v (BNS) (with ceramic brakes ) - V-max = 9.8mpg @ 172 mph - WOW
    2006/7 VW A5 (1K) Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr 2.0T FSI (BWA) DSG, fully loaded, colour coded,
    1998/9 Honda CBR600FX - the blueberry trifle

2003 Audi B6 (8E) S4 quattro saloon 4.2 V8 40v (BBK) 6sp man, fully loaded (gone, but not forgotten)