Wheel Balancing

Smudge973

Reaction score
Since having 4 new corners, the wheels have not been the same. They have been balanced and re-balanced by a few tyre fitters but there is still some vibration from the front at 60mph and some coming from the back....

I've heard that the best way to balance a wheel is whilst on the car as it takes the hub etc into consideration..

Does anyone know where this can be done ? I'm in Yorkshire but travel and I'm prepared to get it sorted...

Any advice is welcome, cheers

So it's defo not the balancing then? Other causes could be alignment, buckled/damaged alloy or knackered wheel bearing. I always get the alignment done after new tyres, so it may be worthwhile trying that first as it's only about £70.

Thanks for the reply... Take a look at my new thread "lumpy rear".. I don't think it's the alignment - It sits perfect on the road - straight wheel and no pulls to the left or right.... I think it's a suspension problem.
Took the car to a small independent tyre dealer today - Top bloke - He checked the wheels were not buckled and re-balanced the wheels...

Couple of comments here.

Firstly, if you had to pay extra at your independent tyre fitter to get them balance properly, then I trust you got this refunded from the original supplying tyre dealer!

Who/where did you get the tyres from originally?

If you repeatedly had them re-balanced on the same machine, and they were still not correct, you need to ask to view the calibration certificate for the wheel balancer. They can NOT refuse to show you this. They need recalibrating every 12 months. If the Cal-Cert is over 12 months, or they refuse to show you, then complain to Trading Standards.

Also, I'd personally avoid Kwik-fit, as they have a policy not to dynamically balance (inner and outer row of weights) wheels, and merely use the central single line static balancing. This may be fine on pram wheels, or space saver spares, but not on wide wheels/tyres found on modern cars.