A trailer pulled up this morning.......

Phil's Barber

Top Gear
Reaction score
.....and it had my new A4 170 S-Line on the back!:rockwoot:

It looks great in Dolphin Grey and the paint work is immaculate.

Had a quick 20 minute drive in it and can say that the ride is firm but not uncomfortable at all even over the dirt tracks they call roads round here!

Haven't open her right up yet but very quick compared to the 320d 150 I had previously. Once that turbo has spun up the car just surges forward in any gear, bags of torque.

The Bose and Symphony sound great, just one problem.The sub is making the rear parcel shelf rattle. Will have to try and sort that.

All in all, very happy today!!!

No fraid not mate. Tried to blag one from the fleet manager by slipping "SE" on the end of the order form but got rumbled!

Not long for you now is it?

Believe me it will be worth the wait!:thumbsup:

Phil's Barber said:
No fraid not mate. Tried to blag one from the fleet manager by slipping "SE" on the end of the order form but got rumbled!

Not long for you now is it?

Believe me it will be worth the wait!:thumbsup:

was supposed to be getting it on on saturday but im going away ! say they will try their best to be ready for tomorrow

Ok, well, I am going to make an appointment with the local dealer to get the rattling parcel shelf sorted out. Can't be right that it vibrates with the sub can it?

I've only done 200 odd miles and the economy seems pretty good already. I don't think the 170 TDI engine is as refined as the BMW 2.0td I had previously. I would also say that the wind noise at Motorway speeds is worse. It does seem a little bouncy on the motorway

I am probably being a bit hyper-critical because the cabin is a nice place to be and the looks are fantastic. Plenty of envious looks, and people actually let me out at junctions now!

The car has done 1000 miles now and it is loosening up nicely. The wind noise is down to the vents and these can be shut. I have achieved around 48mpg measuring on a brim to brim which is very good, and i expect this to improve. 75 percent of this was at 90mph and the other 25 around town.

I still think the BMW was better in terms of refinement and ride comfort but then I am on sports suspension.

Performance wise, this car is quick. Smoked a Mondeo ST TDCI today with ease, 3 times!!!

The ride is poor on the S-Line suspension, there is no denying that, and that leaves me concerned that the car might end up with rattles and squeaks. Time will tell I suppose...... Any high mileage S-Line owners want to comment on this???

Phil's Barber said:
The ride is poor on the S-Line suspension, there is no denying that

Interesting that you should think so. I've driven a few S-Lines now and found them to be quite comfortable. Certainly a lot better than our B6 Sport.

In terms of longevity I think it'll be OK. Ours is coming up to 3 years old with almost 26K at the moment and there's nothing major - just a few small creaks every so often and some of those have been there since day 1.

Although I did notice our first failure this weekend. The rear window isolator switch always has the light on regardless of position so the rear windows are always disabled. Not a big deal as I can stil control them from the front and our 2 year old isn't going to be using them anyway. It'll get fixed at the next service before the warranty runs out.

sline Special Ed suspension is pretty bad actually IMO; its very bumpy and harsh in a non sporty way. It is the only fault I have with the car though, otherwise, its excellent.
(8000 miles)

my thoughts exactly,I much prefer the B6 sport suspension.on the M42 section where it is concrete the ride is terrible.
Otherwise an brill car