A4 2.0TDI (170bhp) Quattro S-Line Special Ed!

Keef

Reaction score
Any one got one of these yet?
Should be ordering one on Saturday and just wanted a bit more advise:-

Realistic MPG figures for the Quattro version?
What can the 170bhp be chipped up to?
Is it just me or do the 18" RS4 style wheels look Very small?
How long did it take to build? Been told 12 weeks?

Cheers
Keef

Should be picking one up tomorrow if the dealers managed to sort out the paperwork. Ordered it the 3rd week of January, so thats about 9 weeks to deliver.

As this is Mrs S3DBW's car and she has changed from a V8 S4, the fuel economy will be significantly better regardless of how she drives it!!!

I ordered one back in mid February and got told it wontbe here till end of April maybe start of May

Picked the car up yesterday and have to say it really looks good in blue with the black optics pack and RS4 type alloys. Had a 120 mile drive back from the dealers on A roads only, most of them fairly twisty and the car performed and handled really well. IMHO it is actually better in this respect than the S4 as it is not so nose heavy. Performance, while obviously not as quick as the S4 is very good and despite a fairly vigourous drive home it still managed just under 40mpg, which given the roads and speed I thought was pretty good.

All in all, well pleased with the car. I'll try and get some pics posted at the weekend.

Pic as promised

DSCN0661.jpg

How come you changed from an S4 to a tdi ? Was it the fuel consumption?

Having those thoughts myself at the moment...

Nice colour choice - love that black grill and roof rails...

Generally remapping gains are c30%. So for a 170bhp, this translates to a 51bhp increase? Others might correct me, and I haven't checked any mapping firms details...

So a c220bhp disel should pull like the S4, ie brilliantly...

I don't think you'll get that much out of a 170 TDI after a remap, as I think this already has been tweaked slighty to get to the 170 figure.

I'm sure there will be some gains from a remap, maybe just not as significant as remapping say a 140 diesel (which does yeild a large gain)....

stoakseya4 said:
How come you changed from an S4 to a tdi ? Was it the fuel consumption?

Having those thoughts myself at the moment...

Nice colour choice - love that black grill and roof rails...

Generally remapping gains are c30%. So for a 170bhp, this translates to a 51bhp increase? Others might correct me, and I haven't checked any mapping firms details...

So a c220bhp disel should pull like the S4, ie brilliantly...

The change from the S4 to the TDI does seem a bit dramatic, but as we already have a 2007 S3 in the family it seemed a bit OTT running to two High Performance S models, particularly as the new S3 is just as quick as the S4 and a lot cheaper to run.

The big decider, however was not so much the running costs, but the potential depreciation. I had been looking at the trade in figures for some time now and could see that I was potentially going to take a fairly big hit, add to that the general public perception about running Band G cars and ever increasing fuel costs and i can only see the values heading in one direction!

So with my Captain Sensible hat on I can take the TDI out and get 35-40mpg, but when I get bored I can jump into the S3 and burn rubber so to speak.

In terms of performance gains, there is a delay in getting kits out for the 170 models because of issues with the DPF, but there are a couple of companies running prototypes which claim to have resolved these issues and are expecting kits out soon. In both cases they are quoting around 210BHP, the gains being made due to the bigger turbo and injectors on the 170 models over the 140

I do like the look of the black optics pack on the blue, it looks well smart. I cant help thinking the wheels now look a bit out of place and wonder whether darker ones would look better..??

The quality of the picture actually doesn't do the wheels or the car justice, in the flesh so to speak the combination of the wheels and the black optics pack is really very good, in fact most of my friends have actually commented that they reckon this is far better looking than the S4!

the only thing i didnt like about the 170 special edition was the rs 4 style pedals. dunno what it was about them, they just seem out of place.