Notchy Gears -Normal or what ?

Spin140

Reaction score
I have noticed that in comparison to my A3 the gearbox on the A4 feels quite notchy with every change, anyone else noticed this or have I bought a lemon? I'm taking it into the dealers tomorrow to let them have a look along with the climate that no longer works.

not driven a a3 for a while, the only problem i have had was a clutch judder but the box feels very smooth i would get i checked by a independant first , how many miles has it done cheers aldo286

The A4 has only done 19K as only 15months old, they are not excessively notchy but certainly not as smooth as the previous box on my A3.

i think the a3 has a a different box , i would ask the stealers to change the fluid to see if that helps , the take a similar car out on a test they should have a demo 140 tdi if that one is ok then it looks like there is something wrong with the synchromesh in the box cheers aldo286

took car into stealers on Sat am, Tech confirmed box feels notchy in comparison to A3 but this apparently normal as A3 has cable operated gearbox as opposed tp push rods on the A4, as long as no underlying problem I'm ok with the explanation.

New Air con controller and compressor being fitted under warranty next Tues, cheeky so and so almost tried to charge me £973 as a stone/foreign body had damaged the compressor therefore wouldn't be covered under warranty, I reported the fault within 20 mins of picking up the car !!

He soon saw sense when I offered to return the car under the Audi Apporoved 30 day return policy, dealers !! :(

Hi mate

I sold my A3 a few months ago and brought the A4. My gear box feels notchy as well.
I think what the dealer said is correct.
I also have alot of engine shaking when running at idle revs. If you look at the A4 and A3 engines there mounted differently.

The dealer said that the A4 and A3 TDI engines have loads of different componets and you cant compare them.

beerglass said:
Hi mate

II also have alot of engine shaking when running at idle revs. If you look at the A4 and A3 engines there mounted differently.

The dealer said that the A4 and A3 TDI engines have loads of different componets and you cant compare them.

would agree with that too, my car has the 'rough' idle just a characteristic so I've chilled now and stopped comparing the 2.

On the plus side the A4 is a lot more refined at speed and about town, I guess due to extra sound proofing, also the ride is not as harsh as the A3 although this never really bothered me as I have a preference for firm suspension.

Hi. Only joined the website last week. I have an A4 S-Line SE (220bhp) 2007 MY. Bought it in October and had the (6 speed) gearbox relaced under warranty at 2,000 miles as the synchro's were not right. New box feels much better but still notchy unless you are accelerating fast and going up through the gears quicky. It seems to prefer this and then feels it much smoother. Guess I'll just have to drive like this all the time!
smokeymike