A4 great in snow............................NOT!!!

jonmusicman

Reaction score
Well I must admit I thought it was going to be fun when the snow arrived in the Midlands until I had to drive in it!

My dashboard now looks like Blackpool illuminations. I've got the ESP, ABS and brake warning light flashing like mad. And just to make it worse I smacked 2 of my alloys on the curb after the car started sliding. The car was pathetic when it came to a slight incline.

I'm pretty sure the ESP is F#@*d, it was rubbish in the snow anyway. Better call my insurance company about my wheels.

Oh by the way, this made me laugh. Picture this...It's snowing very hard, roads very icy and it's nose to tail everywhere. I'd moved about 50 meters in last hour or so...

As my ESP light and ABS light came on so as I was not going any place soon I phoned Audi...

Me: Hi can I speak to service please?

Audi: I'm sorry sir they have all left due to the snow

Me: Ok, can I talk to someone in sales?

Audi: Yes sir hang on

Audi: Hello how can I help?

Me: I'm not sure if this is more of a service question but... my ESP and ABS light are staying on and my brake warning light is flashing. Do you know what it means?

Audi: Mmmm, sounds like the EPS isn't working. You need to press the ESP button on the dash

Me: Yes, done that it's done nothing

Audi: Mmmm right, sounds like your brakes arn't working. You'd better slow down

Me: I'm not moving I'm stuck in miles of traffic. I haven't moved in ages

Audi: You will need to call the RAC!!!

Great why didn't I think of that? The RAC must be able to fly after all just like in the advert. Even in the snow!!!!

You can't blame the car for your poor driving ability in the snow. 99.9% of cars will struggle in the snow - just because a car has Quattro/is an Audi doesn't turn you into a Driving God...

I cant see how its the car's fault.. the snow is terrible looking, there is no traction on the roads no matter what car you are driving, have you got snow chains on?

as for the wheels and insurance.... I would pay to have them fixed, i doubt you want to lose your NCB and also pay the excess.. which would probably have paid for the wheel repair in the first instance :)

To be honest I know it was not all the cars fault, the conditions are deardful.
No I haven't got chains (I think I might invest in some). There is a small incline near where I live and I really struggled to get up it. I even tried it in 3rd gear. The car just slipped 90 degrees and slid down it sideways!!!

Can I ask how Quattro's cope in the snow? Are they any better?
I guess a lot is down to the tyres... and us drivers?

Just heard a car crash out side must go!

Good news, I have checked the wheels and they are fine, no damage done. I called the RAC this morning about the ABS AND ESP flashing lights etc. and the chap said it was the 3rd car this morning that has had the same problem all due to the snow.

When the computer sees that one wheel spinning more that the other at speeds below 5mph, it will log it as a fault. As we drove off to test it all the lights went off straight away. Thanks Mr RAC man!!

If your car is front wheel drive the EDL (electronic diff lock) works via the ABS to try and control wheel spin.

It's hopeless, especially in the snow.

My A3 1.8T used to overhead the EDL / ABS in the snow and the lights would all come on. I imagine with ESP the same problem would light up that warning too.

Easily cleared with an ECU reset (pull the fuse or use VAGCOM).

Quattro is good in the snow. The Torsen diff on the A4/S4 is superb, the haldex system less so...

You still can't stop or steer, but it's nice to get up hills when everyone else is stuck.

my quattro was superb in the snow last night, i sat there in amazement watching 2wd cars getting stuck on small inclines with the drivers not even bothering to drop the gear box from 1st into 2nd to try and get some traction. i didn't have any problems stopping or steering either and as long as i kept everything quite calm and smooth didn't have one single drama, kept passing small accidents on the way home though!

it just shows what this country is like though, last night was like the end of the world with people abandoning there cars on the side of the road just because they couldn't manage to drive them in the conditions...

I spoke too soon. I have damaged the two wheels a bit too much to get repaired. Does anyone know costs of 5 arm, 18" RS6 wheels?

Cheers thanks for that.
I had a quote off Neil @ Audi accessories to the tune of £680 (very fast reply to my email. Thanks Neil). As it was my in-laws dog I went to get when it snowed they said they would pay for them. Guess what... it's cheaper to get a set of new 18" RS4 (type) wheels at £549 including tyres mmm. I'll have a chat to them in the morning.

thats tough luck; sorry to hear you knacked your wheels too...
Its about the 2 or 3 times a year us quattro owners feel vindicated for stumping up 1700 extra for quattro.. Yes... it really is that much better traction wise!..
(Rs4 stayed in the garage though!!_...