Diesel or Petrol Quattro or a Passat`

dibbledom

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

It is time to get a company car. Shortlist is

A4 Avant 2.0T Quattro S-line SE or
A4 Avant 2.0TDi Quattro S-Line SE

I don't get hit for tax as our scheme uses net salary not gross and the diesel will cost £30 more a month. I am expecting to do 14k miles a year.

Any advice on which is the better drive?

I mention the Passat as I can get the v6 4 motion for £30 less than the petrol A4. It has 250hp but its still a Passat.

Cheers

There's no comparing the quality of the passat compared to the A4's. Though there is a lot more room in the rear of the Passat (compared to a B6 A4 anyway, not sure if the B7's would be any bigger).

As for the choice petween a petrol or Diesel, I have no idea. Sorry.

Go to your dealer and try both.

Try one as a S line and one as SE if you can.

Make some notes about each area of the car so you can cross ref.

Try not to talk to the sales person during the drive so you can remember more about each car and the way it drives. Helps to use the same route.

Then make a debrief note on each one.

I've test driven both those engines. Although the petrol is quicker on paper, the diesel felt quicker through the gears due to the torque.
I've ordered the diesel version as I do about 25000 a year but i actually preferred the way the diesel drove anyway.
I think it's down to personal choice though and you should try them both. Back to back if possible.

I am driving one of our works 2.0 Tdi Passats, 56 reg. Its quite nippy and ok, even though its poverty spec. The problem is the insane electronic handbrake. Press a button on the dash to engage it. Foot on the brake, press and hold to disengage. So how do you do a hill start without the car rolling back? Dragging the wheels up hill while smoking the fronts is not good though a guess sensors tell it to release. How this works I really dont know. Check it out...

Oh, in Black, it looks like a Herse. (spelling)