AH FabricationsEM Tuning
    Neutral

Status

multitronic multitrouble

does anyone here has or have experience shifting problems and performance troubles with this gearbox?
    ed

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    have a search, there appears to be some interesting problems with the multi-box. Luckily all reports have had them fixed under warranty.

The start of most of these problems is a flashing gear selection display.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Multitronic CVT boxes are notorious for giving trouble. The main causes are sticking valve bodys, and wear in the clutch plates within the input shaft. The main problems noticed by the driver will be either delays in selecting / changing gear or a juddering when accellerating / decellerating.
    Last edited by Elsa_Man; 7th December 2006 at 22:59.

Neutral

Status
    Hi, I have a multironic gearbox in my 2.0 FSI and have posted a number of times regarding issues with it so just do a search on my user name.

The ECU unit in mine failed (resulting in the gear indicator on the DIS flashing) a few months ago and had be replaced. As I type this I am just about to collect my car from the dealers as the gearbox went into 'safe mode' (no revs above about 1200 rpm) a couple of days ago. Appearently they did not set the 'adaptation' settings correctly when they replaced the gearbox ECU and over time they went out of tolerance. Fortunately all under warranty.

The re-occuring theme on these boxes is the requirement to have the automatic transmission fluid changed every 40,000 miles. They were originally sold as 'sealed for life' but after a number of failures Audi appear to have recommended the ATF fluid be changed every 40,000. However, I've done a bit of digging around and it seems that this messege either did not always get through, or, as it was merely a recommendation, not manditory, was simply ignored by some owners / dealers.

I do not know how many miles yours has done, but the symtoms seem similar to other posts I have read, and in many cases the ATF change seemed to fix the problem. I had mine done (as a precautionary measure) and it cost £150 at an Audi dealer.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cadders
    The re-occuring theme on these boxes is the requirement to have the automatic transmission fluid changed every 40,000 miles. They were originally sold as 'sealed for life' but after a number of failures Audi appear to have recommended the ATF fluid be changed every 40,000

. . .

I had mine done (as a precautionary measure) and it cost 150 at an Audi dealer.
    I would have expected Audi to pick up the tab as this is a cost you would not have budgeted for when buying the car.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    My Multitronic was sold new in 2003, and the service book clearly states the fluid must be changed at 40,000 mile intervals.

The other useful thing to do (and it doesn't cost a penny) is to clean the torque sensors in the wheel hubs from time to time. A simple task. Even a moron like me can do it.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

GreasedMonkey HoofHearted

Status
    Appologies for dragging up an old thread!

There have been some excellent reports about these: http://www.inde-tech.co.uk/multitronic.html from another forum I freqent.
    Sean - Independent Motor Vehicle Technician (retd)
    ------
    2007 Audi B7 (8EC) RS4 quattro saloon 4.2 FSI V8 32v (BNS) (with ceramic brakes ) - V-max = 9.8mpg @ 172 mph - WOW
    2006/7 VW A5 (1K) Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr 2.0T FSI (BWA) DSG, fully loaded, colour coded,
    1998/9 Honda CBR600FX - the blueberry trifle

2003 Audi B6 (8E) S4 quattro saloon 4.2 V8 40v (BBK) 6sp man, fully loaded (gone, but not forgotten)