Colours

Phil's Barber

Top Gear
Reaction score
Hello all,
This is my first post although I have been reading for some time.

I have almost made my mind up to order an A4 2.0 TDI 170 S-Line as my new company car. For the last 9 years I have been in BMWs and at present have a 320d. Can anyone here with experience of both tell me how they compare with regards to engine noise levels in the cabin and handling.

I would also like to see pictures of some of the colours available. I've looked in the gallery and on the Audi website (rubbish!) Any of you lot want to show off your cars in any of the silver/grey/dolphin colours?

I prefer the design, and the image of Audis, but after trying 5 of them I am back in a BMW.
The main thing you will notice is the lack of feel, the steering on the A4 is very light and a little dull. The S-Line does look nice though, but you need to drive one for at least a day because you may not be over impressed, I had a (150bhp) 320d touring and went to the 2.5tdi A4 avant and was very disapointed in the handling, the engine was very smooth though although no quicker, only kept it for about 4 months before getting an A3 S-Line.
Unless you really need the A4 then I would look at the A3, personally think it is a far better car, like a little go kart.

Have you got an E90 320d or the E46?? If it is the E46 have you driven the new 3 series, it is very impressive especially in M-Sport Guise, plus you have the Alpina D3, again a 2.0d so low company car tax but it is 200bhp and £200 cheaper than the 320d M-Sport.

Hello and welcome to the site.

Here's a few to keep you going.

WAUDF78E26A06566603.jpg

I ordered the 320D SE with some toys, only for our finance dude to tell me it was too much. Now looking at an A4 170 S-line too...
Unfortunately the noise levels and handling are pretty hopeless next to the new 3 series. ALthough having said that, I haven't driven the new 170TDi.
Basically you get a better looking car with a nicer interior and more toys from Audi, but you don't get the refinement or the driving pleasure.
I've had an A3 for a couple of years and regretted every second of it - wish I'd stuck to the 3 series.

Thanks for the responses people. I really cannot decide. I love the look of the Audi and have heard that the 2.0TDI 170 uses common rail technology so should be an improvement over the 140bhp version in terms of refinement and power delivery. My major concern is ride and handling. I suppose I should book a test drive really, but just can't seem to find the time. I also believe I will need more than 20 mins with a cheesy salesman bending my ear to make a decision.