Comments please........

Anito

Reaction score
I'm bouncing off the walls at the moment with Audi's f**k off we don't care attitude.

I have a solar roof fitted to my car, all £1175 worth. It's supposed to power the air con when the engine is off and there's strong sunlight and the interior of the car gets warm. Great f**king idea I thought, I'll have some of that.

We've had a warm spell so stupid me expected to go back to a nicely chiiled car. Not a f**king chance!

The system has been checked and is worked perfectly. It appears the system only works for a limited amount of time not the "as long as your away from the car" audi claim.

I'm bouncing off the walls beciase audi say 'there's noting wrong with the system so we can't do anything' Only problem is they misled me when ordering it and had I know how it truly works I would not have spent the money.

Comments chaps? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

Hi, I don't know the roof myself but when you buy something it must be "fit for the purpose" and "as described". If you buy a colour tv and it does not work or it only produces a b/w picture it is not fit for the purpose.

Try your local trading standards or What Car.
You will need to a person who understands what a solar is and how it works. You will need to be able to prove what you have been told is incorrect, is it listed in an Audi brochure? I will take a look in my A4 brochure after the match!!!

Try phoning another Audi dealer asking as a buyer act a bit thick..."Ah mate what's a solar roof do mate"? Wait for the answer then get on to Audi HQ!!!!! Best of luck.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif

Agree about fit for purpose and all that but getting them to see my point is proving difficult. All they say is 'specification can change'. that said I know they haven't and the current brochure describes it exactly as the one I used when ordering.

I think I will call a dealer tomorrow and see how they describe it. Good idea, cheers

BTW it's Audi HQ that are giving me the brush off.

Audi have a habit of giving the brush off, in my recent experience.

The biggest problem is that Audi UK doesn't have any 'user' accessible knowledge base in the UK HQ - they always refer back to dealer. In a dealer as overworked, and with such high sales, as my local dealer, it's no wonder that they can't give a T055.

trading standards, motoring press.

going to be a real pain in the *** though.

good luck.

There's no way in hell a solar panel could power anything as hungry as aircon indefinately, christ it takes 5mpg off you with the engine running. Get real!

Quite agree Andy. It would need to be as big as a house roof!!!

This is what the Audi website says in its glossary about the solar sunroof

"Even in very low sunlight, light-sensitive elements under the glass sunroof panel produce electricity to power the ventilator inside the vehicle. Even when the ignition is switched off, the interior will be supplied with a continuous flow of fresh air and temperature levels inside the vehicle can be reduced by as much as 50% with the outside air that is cleaned as is passes through the dust and pollen filter. This kind of ventilation does not put any additional demands on the car’s battery. This preliminary cooling lets the air conditioner cool the interior to the desired temperature with little energy and use of the ventilator."

Even so, I think you may have some difficulty here.

You would first have to persuade a court on the balance of probabilities (the standard of proof in a civil claim) that you paid extra for the solar roof in reliance on a misrepresention about how it worked.

Even assuming you could do that, you would also have to persuade the court that the nature of the misrepresentation was such that it was reasonable for you to rely on it. And that's where Andymac's point comes in.

To be honest I have no intention of taking any kind of legal action, talking to trading standards or anythnig of that nature.

For me this is just another example of Audi's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif poor attitude towards their customers.

With all the other niggling problems I have with the car & my previous long stading disagreements with my previous A4 I am seriously considering getting rid of it.

The cars are truly fantastic but I'm not going to have a another 3 years of warranty claims and being treated like a man who spend £300 on a banger.

For all the money I've spent I can't, with hand on heart, say I've been happy with what i've had. I may as well go and spend a third of the money I have on the S4 an buy a ford or vauxhall. They can't be that much worse and I certainly won't feel as bad about having spent all that money.

This sounds very similar to the "rest" button fitted to my merc sprinter, if you depress the button after the engine has been switched off the fan will blow on position 1 at the last temperature setting (not air con), for approx 30 mins or until the control unit senses that the batterys output may be affected, even though i have air con it would be down to the user to select the desired temp, i suspect the audi system is the same only using cool air from outside not conditioned air. hope this make sense. Andy

Andy,

It makes perfect sense and it does similar in terms of what the system is doing.

My problem is that it was sold to me as something else. Had I known how it really works I would not have shelled out £1175 for it.

air con compessor is driven by a belt from engine so no engine stopped no cooling, only the residual coldness in system,(which is the ice that melts and forms a pool under your car after you park) could be blown into cabin

[ QUOTE ]

"Even in very low sunlight, light-sensitive elements under the glass sunroof panel produce electricity to power the ventilator inside the vehicle. Even when the ignition is switched off, the interior will be supplied with a continuous flow of fresh air and temperature levels inside the vehicle can be reduced by as much as 50% with the outside air that is cleaned as is passes through the dust and pollen filter. This kind of ventilation does not put any additional demands on the car’s battery. This preliminary cooling lets the air conditioner cool the interior to the desired temperature with little energy and use of the ventilator."

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds pretty clear to me. The panels feed the ventilator, not the aircon! All it does is blow outside air into the car, preventing it from becoming an oven. The car will never become cooler than the outside temperature. You could also just leave the windows down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif ...