AH FabricationsSky Insurance

Thread: S4 Front Discs

1st Gear

Status

S4 Front Discs

Just had to fork out a fair bit of cash for 2 new front discs for a car which is under a year old and only covered 10K miles, due to warped discs!

Not particularly impressed given that the car has had a pretty easy life, I would have thought that I would get a bit more life out of the brakes of a so called performance car.

Is this a known weak point in 4.2l engined S4's

What annoyed me even more was Audi's dont care attitude of sorry sir, Brakes are normal wear and tear and not covered by the one year warranty. OK, but I generally expect them to at least last a year!

Sorry, rant for the month over, I just get somewhat ticked off, when they are quick to sell you a 40K car but dont give a stuff on aftersales. Ah well thats life I suppose!!

regards

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status

Re: S4 Front Discs

I have to agree with you. If the discs go on my car with only 10K miles I'd be hammering the door.

I worked with a guy who had a B5 S4 which suffered the same problems. His were changed under waranty though. I'd keep trying

Grumpy Old Man

Status

That stinks!

About 14 years ago, I had the front discs warp on a Mk3 Cavalier when it was about 2-years old & had done 30,000 miles. Dealer replaced them, made an out-of-warranty claim to Vauxhall, & I got 50% of the bill refunded.

Don't just accept what the dealer tells you. Make some noise!

1st Gear

Status

On the warranty schedule "non Warrantable items" are quoted as " Fair wear and tear on items such as brake pads, discs....etc", so I suppose it comes down to the dealer definition of fair wear and tear.

Personally, under 1 year old and 10k miles could be regarded as a bit more than fair wear and tear, so i might try stirring it up with Audi UK and see if I can get any more mileage (excuse the pun) out of them.

regards

Grumpy Old Man

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    On the warranty schedule "non Warrantable items" are quoted as " Fair wear and tear on items such as brake pads, discs....etc", so I suppose it comes down to the dealer definition of fair wear and tear.

Personally, under 1 year old and 10k miles could be regarded as a bit more than fair wear and tear, so i might try stirring it up with Audi UK and see if I can get any more mileage (excuse the pun) out of them.

regards

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what you should do. The dealer will try to fob you off that it is fair wear & tear, if only for a quiet life. No way is 10k & less than a year fair wear & tear on a pair of discs. Like I said, make some noise.

Neutral

Status

I've got 34k miles on my S4 Avant with the original pads and discs.

I'm in Scotland too - which dealer are you using?