A4 3.0tdi

Eeef

Lord of War
Reaction score
I was initially thinking of replacing my A3 with a nearly new S4 but don't think I can put up with the fuel costs (25k miles p.a.)

So I'm now looking to get a spanking A4 3.0tdi (at the moment...) Whats the auto gear box like? my A3 has the rather fantastic DSG which I know isn't available in the A4(yet...) so what does it have and what's it like? Is it just the standard tiptronic or is it that funny CVT malarky?

Standard Tiptronic since it's a Quattro. No idea what it's like to drive

Not driven one but I guess it is fast.

I have heard some comment about it only doing 26/27 mpg in the real world.

Why not wait until autumn and get the 170PS version of the A3 Quattro Sportback 2.0Tdi?

I don't like the look of the sportback, think it ruins the shape of the A3, plus you can't get DSG with quattro.

Guess I'll have to speak to my stealer and get a test drive.

I have heard that it is good and quite quick but not so good on mpg which has to be the only.... sorry...main reason anyone would buy a diesel right?...

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the look of the sportback, think it ruins the shape of the A3, plus you can't get DSG with quattro.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you on the looks of the A3 sportback. Strange but I always felt that the Mk4 Golf looked better as a 5dr and the A3 looked better as a 3dr. Now that the new versions are out I think that still holds true.

As for not getting DSG with Quattro on the A3. I'm baffled as the R32, TT3.2 and now A3 3.2 are all available as either manual or DSG and they are Quattro. As far as I'm aware the Quattro system in those is the same as the lower spec models.

[ QUOTE ]
DSG is for traverse engines only - all a4s are in line engines....

[/ QUOTE ]

It's only currently available on transverse engines but there's no reason why they can't develop a version for longitudinal applications.

Still doesn't answer why you can't get an A3 2.0TDI Quattro with DSG. Unless of course Audi don't think they'll sell enough to justify the development costs.

[ QUOTE ]
isn't that what I said?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes mate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Remember that the Quattro system on the A3's and Golf is the Haldex system and not the Torsen Diff of "proper quattros" ie A4,6 & 8's

I think that this may also have something to do with why the DSG is only available in these models.

[ QUOTE ]
isn't that what I said?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I just misread.

i have a 3.0 tdi quattro.shopped my beemer in for it,had the a4 now for two months and can say it is quick.although u are never going to beat evos and the like in it,for most people it is more than quick enuff.
got loads of xtras and the usual stuff
valcona leather(NICE!!!!)
xenons
s/roof
mem seats
tip tronic with paddles
sline kit
all in all a nice cruiser to get to places!i am well happy with it
i know i did say it is quick enuff but i have got it booked in for a remapp at QST MTM in a few days time.
the thought of an extra 70bhp and 520nm of torque for around £850 is worth a go so i cant wait to see wot it feels like!
right now fuel econ is about 33mpg. if i boot it around i still get around 29mpg so i just drive it in sport mode all the time now.
never tried the dsg gearshift but everyone is raving about it,so a bit dissapointed when it wasnt on the options list also i am a bit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif of that the same model now has 233bhp!!!mine is 205 standard
also does ne one know if they changed any engine parts to get this power increase or is it just a ecu remap???
also does it mean a (KIM COLLINS remapped 3.0 tdi could be hitting 300bhp)???

i'm more than a bit confused by the current a4 3.0tdi...

The manaul version is 206bhp & does 6.8
but
The auto version has 226bhp & does 7.5 ?

why the two different outputs?

[ QUOTE ]
i'm more than a bit confused by the current a4 3.0tdi...

The manaul version is 206bhp & does 6.8
but
The auto version has 226bhp & does 7.5 ?

why the two different outputs?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe all 3.0 TDIs sold in the UK are now using the 233PS engine regardless of transmission.

HTH

I thought that the A6 still had a slightly lower power version?

I nearly bought an 3.0tdi quattro avant, originally I was looking for an S4 but the sub 18mpg would really hurt, so I looked at the A6, but it was just too slow, ok so that is not very fair, what I should say is I was expecting it to be alot quicker than my REVO'd 1.9tdi A6 avant, and to be honest I was a little dissapointed.
So I turned my attention to the A4 avant, lighter car and all that, again though it was quite quick and very smooth but it wasn't what I was hoping for, it felt a little numb and wasn't as exciting as my A3 TDi S-Line, and I really didnt like the tip compared to the DSG at all.

Then I got some finance figures and to be honest they were not that good, residual after 2 years was terrible (although not as bad as my old man was given last week on a 3.0TDi A6 avant!). But on a car that was £39k new and down to £33k 6 months old, they would only give a residual of £18k after 2 years.

Then one day whilst my daughter was in her dancing lesson we popped into the local BMW dealership, and looked at the new 330d, and while there had a quick look at the 535d M-Sport Touring, was really surprised at how it looked and the fact I lked the styling, and the interior was actually nicer than the Audi, far more up to date and felt better quality, which really surprised me. The one I was looking at with all the toys was just over £50,000 so I took a brochure and that was it, thought it was too expensive for me being realistic.
But then I looked at 3-6 month old ones and found you could get them with all the toys for between £35-38k.
Also the residual was alot better than the A4 so it worked out £100 a month cheaper.

Anyway took one out and was blown away, the A4 3.0TDi takes just under 20 seconds to get to 100mph, the 535d does it in 15seconds, and after a reamap from DMS it does it in 13 seconds and get to 60 in around 5 seconds! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

S4 performance with 30mpg!

I was struggling to get over 25mpg on the 3.0TDi Q btw!

Don't compromise, if you really want an S4 then go for it, the 3.0TDi is neither very quick or feels nimble (heavy lump up front) and won't save you much on fuel anyway. So don't mess around, get that V8 and enjoy, or dare I say it on here, tae the BMW out as it's well worth a try, and you never know, you may just like it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

As fast as an S4 only if the road is dry.