Changed key fob outers, now key doesn't work. tried manual reset

TimFok

ex vRS driver
Reaction score
Website
www.timfok.com
The key for my recently purchased B7 Avant was looking a little tatty, so I purchased a replacement shell for it.Changed over the internals from my old key no problems, but now my immobiliser keeps kicking in.The fob won't work, unlocks via the lock barrel but doesn't dis-engage alarm.I tried the reset procedure as per manual - won't work. As soon as I turn the ignition, the alarm sounds, indicators turn on and I get SAFE in the mileage meter (as per manual, this is the immo kicking in).Had a good search around on here, but couldn't find an answer; most seem to rectify the issue by reset as per manual.Can anyone help? Am I looking at calling out a re-coder?Thanks in advance.

You forgot to swap the hidden immo chip across as well that's within the old key.

I bet your next question will be how to remove it without breaking it :)

No personal experience, but I did some searching on this when I thought I might get a nice new case and recall a heat gun being mentioned - also acetone, to soften the plastic securing it. Breaking it is a bad thing.

Where is it? Beneath the white flexi layer?

How does it integrate with the circuit board?

I'll have a browse later on for removal, but if anyone knows of a guide that would be great!

Google a4 audi immobiliser chip - that'll bring up a wealth of stuff.

Yes its under the flexi part, they are actually relatively easy to remove. If you get real stuck and need another chip programming i may be local in the week.

Yep, as advised it was simply the absence of the chip.

Thanks all for the advice, and Mike for the guide!

Just be careful not to break the glass or you're fudged, tbh I dremelled out the plastic around it, then it dropped out.

with these banana shape keys the chips not held in nearly as well as with older keys, much less plastic holding it and a craft knife is enough.