Vibration/resonance through the floor

888dee

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

so bought an '06 2.0 TDi Quattro last friday and it's got a weird resonance almost but not quite vibration through the floor between about 45 and 60 mph, 4th, 5th and 6th gears and it "scrabbles" a bit at anything more than half lock.

Now i've changed the oil and filters this evening, oil was like p!ss :( and the under tray wasn't the most secure thing ever...

So it's better but still not right, having read a bunch of stuff on here already so checked the inner joints, there's a little bit of slop there and also picked up cheap complete shafts off evil bay are probably not worth the effort so where should I be looking?

Ta much :)

Could be all sorts of things really.. wheel balancing, dual mad flywheel.... Have you changed the gearbox and rear diff oil too?

Reactions: 888dee
sorry, should've said, there's been a lot on money spent on this car recently, not by me thankfully

a recon engine and turbo
clutch and dmf
centre prop bearing
4 x discs and pads

although not recent it does have 4 matched premium tyres fitted,

gearbox and diff oils, now there's an idea...

a recon engine and turbo

Did you check the engine/gearbox mounts ?

I'd have gone for DMF but you've already covered that and the clutch.

Also, I can recommend an all 4 wheel alignment as it makes a noticeable difference. You could always try swapping the front wheels with the rears to see if its wheel balance etc.

I recall reading on here that Quattro's do "scrabble" a tad on lock.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Reactions: 888dee
Have you checked the rear wheel balance, mine was miles out on my old quattro and caused shaking/vibration through the floor and seats

Quick update people, 2 issues found

firstly, car has had the centre prop bearing replaced and obviously gone to great trouble to get the prop balanced too as is stickered up from some where in the midlands...

problem is the exhaust was cut to get into the prop, when it was sleeved back together again the ends weren't butted together adding about an inch to the length of the system, result? tail pipe on the NS was touching the rear bumper causing vibration & noise through the floor, strike one!

second issue, got the wheel balance checked, NSR wheel has a decent buckle in it requiring 70g to get it to balance out even so it's still egg shaped, strike two!

so it's a lot better but still not right :(

and to add insult to injury the DPF warning came on when coming home from the MOT place, damn car!!