Elusive rattle from underneath car

lazyjay34

Reaction score
Car was rattling away and after some work there's still one little niggle.
The car just passed mot last month and for it I replaced the entire front suspension.
I thought it might be the under-tray so removed that too but there's still a light rattle, not a heavy clunking sound.
It's very noticeable on a bumpy road at a slow speed.
I didn't replace the track rod ends however but they did come with the suspension kit
So any ideas what it could be?
Would a bum shock be the cause?
I have been under the car and checked around and found nothing loose.

it's seriously doing my nut in

please, help me!

Can you isolate whereabouts the noise is? I've just had a stone stuck in the undertray under the b pillar, only noticed it around 2k revs and did my nut for ages...checking all trim etc couldn't find it, took me and the mechanic to find it...

It seems to be coming from the front passenger side but I could be wrong. I had the shocks out when I was replacing all the arms and they seemed ok. The car has 150k miles on it btw so it wouldn't be a disgrace if they failed.

What i will suggest is this, go back out in the car and at the slow speeds when it rattles press your foot on the brake pedal and if the car goes silent its the brake pads rattling in the calipers and a common issue on lots of cars.

Reactions: ruairi83
I think that may be the answer
I just noticed that the caliper spring is missing too!
When I brake it stops.

I'll get a spring and let you know.

Try the steering rack bolts under the battery tray. There is also another one by the power steering pump. They usually work their way loose over time.

Let me know how you get on.

sorry for the late reply.
Finally got round to gettin a new caliper spring and fitted it.
no more rattle!

it's mad how something so simple could make such a difference.

Thanks for all the help men.

Reactions: DieselJake