Westfalia Towbar - Question on flip down electrics

Cyrix

Reaction score
I fitted a Westfalia detachable towbar to my S-line Avant over the weekend, all went well with the exception of the electrics.

They don't seem to drop down far enough to get the socket into it, I could probably rectify it by cutting a bit more out of the underside of the bumper but want to be certain it's not just an issue with the fold down bracket first.

Would anyone with one fitted mind taking a photo of the bumper cut and the electrics in the flipped down position?

I've recently fitted the Westfalia to mine with the drop down electrics, and did have to cut quite a bit from the bumper. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow for you if I remember.
Did you go with the dedicated electrics or a bypass kit?
I went with the bypass kit and it didn't come with an angled rubber boot for the cables, so the drop down wouldn't work anyway, after much moaning at PF Jones they managed to find a drop down.

If you could get a picture that would be great.

I went with the bypass relay option, just makes more sense that ripping half of the car to bits to route a couple of cables.

I didn't use right angle boot, I simply used a zip tie to pull the cable close to the flip down bracket and stop it catching on the bodywork.

You do have to chop a bit of bumper away, but luckily its out of sight and never to be seen

ImageImage

Cut out on mine is 280mm x 40mm, it's a 13 pin socket, there is just enough room to insert the plug. Cut out cannot be seen - unless you are down on your knees!

I am also in the process of sorting out a westfalia towbar as above from PFJONES.
I am happy to fit the bar etc but do have a question about the electrics.
I only have a small erde trailer so not as if i am towing a caravan etc, i cant really bring myself to paying for the dedicated electrics loom for the useage i have.
What may swing the descision is this, my avant has the front and rear parking sensor pack fitted, is this going to be an issue if i go with the generic bypass kit.
On the dash i have a switch that turns off the sensor bleeps after the sensors have been activated, would this have the same effect when the trailer is attached, once ativated i can then turn the bleeper of,OR, will it keep coming back on every minute due to the sensors picking up the trailer.

any help would be great on this issue.

If you decide not to go with dedicated electrics the car will not 'know' that it's towing and your reversing sensors will continue to work, it's handy that you can switch them of though. I went this route because I was initially only using the towbar for a bike carrier, now that I've got a caravan I kind if wish that I'd bought the proper electric kit. Mind you, how long do you actually reverse for?

I didn't go with a dedicated kit, and my Avant has the dealer fit Cobra sensors rather than the factory ones, however by using a 13 pin socket with a switch inside it and wiring this into the feed to the reversing sensors they automatically turn off as soon as anything is plugged into the socket.

If you were really keen you could wire the switch to the button on the dash, but for all the hassle it is, I'd probably just press the button when you reverse.

Photo%2001-07-2014%2021%2011%2025.jpg

Photo%2001-07-2014%2021%2011%2052.jpg

Cheers guys, the bumper on my car looks different to the ones pictured which is what I suspect is causing the problem.

Audi_A4_B7_Avant_S-Line_20090809_rear.JPG

I shall just modify the bracket so that the electrics drop down further I think.

hi all,I have the westfalia drop down fitted but im having trouble with the indicators not working on trailer. For some reason the right hand flasher dosent work on trailer but does on car,everything else is fine. Its worked previously,ive had the socket apart(7 pin) & that looks fine. Any suggestions? Thanks