Took the plunge..... Now bagged :)

ESD1711

Reaction score
So.... here comes the biggy!!

Finally took the plunge and decided to go for air. Yup, its maybe fake lows and yup, I’ve even been known to dish out the abuse against them in the past..... but...... it makes sense for me in terms of using my car up north in the winter loaded with people and gear.

So, finally ordered up some kit. Airlift Struts and Autopilot V2 management. Dual 444c compressors, shiny polished 5 gallon tank and 3/8 lines.

IMG_35041_zpsbdab0dc3.jpg

IMG_36331_zps805d7b72.jpg

IMG_36341_zps47411e72.jpg

When it came to stripping off the old coilovers - it was pretty obvious that these were never going to be adjustable again...... these went on pretty much exactly a year ago and as you can see have seen better days. The downside of cheap coilovers I guess!!

IMG_36371_zpsbe66229e.jpg

In went the bags (not much in the way of pics of the actual fitting going on - you get the idea though).

IMG_36791_zps343be185.jpg

Then it was on to coming up with an install to house it all. My boot does tend to get well used, so I didn’t really want to sacrifice a whole load of bootspace - but, at the same time - wanted there to at least be something to look at back there! So the challenge was a simple, space saving install with a small 'showy' element to it.

We decided to house the compressors within the spare wheel well and set about fabricating an enclosure for them.

IMG_36201_zps5f60befb.jpg

In order to keep vibrations down and to absorb a little of the noise, we dynamatted the wheel well and the outside of the box.

All the lines and compressor wiring were run neatly round the edge of the enclosure and a couple of small push / pull fans were added to assist with airflow in the compressor enclosure.

IMG_37001_zps0762f0c9.jpg

Inside of the box was trimmed in alcantara and the compressors mounted.

IMG_37011_zpsbf345a4f.jpg

Next up was the tank enclosure. The plan for this was to have most of the tank and its fittings hidden from sight, with space below to hide wiring / lines / manifold etc.

IMG_36971_zpsd37556b2.jpg

From here we trimmed the inside of the enclosure, again in alcantara and decided that as we'd gone to the trouble of sourcing some red airline rather than the standard black that comes with the kit - we should try and show off some of it. This resulted in us devising a small tray, again trimmed in alcantara to house the 6 lines coming from the manifold - we started referring to these at 'THE VEINS' haha, as that’s pretty much what they looked like.

IMG_37071_zps8c14bff1.jpg

Then it was a case of getting everything secured down and buttoned in to place, and it was time to throw in some colour changing led lighting to illuminate the compressor enclosure, 'vein' housing and the tank enclosure.

IMG_37171_zps659fa819.jpg

IMG_37181_zpsd761e783.jpg

Finally, on went a floor panel and tank front panel complete with windows to show off the important bits. These were just trimmed in acoustic carpet. Plan is to get some acrylic in the windows at some point in the near future.

8CB7BC95-DE8E-4211-86D4-BF6570B98C15_zpsvuugoaqn.jpg

E7559345-E195-49C2-BCC3-89F03D6A7244_zps4wissq9l.jpg

40B3FF9D-D7FD-4D83-A5B5-890B9F77F6E7_zpsopno3zlm.jpg

Very happy with the finished product - boot remains usable without giving up too much space, but it’s also kinda easy on the eye at the same time.

And of course - here's some pics of how the car sits on air now. Still needs a bit of fine tuning and I’m probably gonna have to re-think my wheels / fitment as I can’t get the back end right down the way it sits just now.... but that’s work in progress.

IMG_37121_zps425a0e59.jpg

IMG_36851_zpsf58f0a35.jpg

IMG_37131_zpsccce7ba2.jpg

8311F3BE-1CB1-4A99-AC20-506EF5B24752_zpskji7bwpr.jpg

AAFF92FD-7A2C-42A4-823C-239408E21CE8_zpstmyj4gbz.jpg

There's scope for the front to come down more as well if I chop the inner wings to make space for the control arms - but not decided whether I’ll go down that route yet or not.

Massive maaaaasssive MAAAAASSSSIVE thanks to Billy at Complete Auto Solutions for all his hard work on this, there’s absolutely no way I coulda taken this on myself and the work and attention to detail he's put in to this is second to none.

Reactions: bigmoylan, seandom, D2NY G and 2 others
good man!!! air is the way forward :D :D

did u do the cut out on the top of the inner arch?

good man!!! air is the way forward :D :D

did u do the cut out on the top of the inner arch?

Nah mate, not yet. I can't get the back low enough yet anyway. When I sort out wheels / tyres / camber / flaring or something to let me get the back down more I'll think about doing it then :)

Reactions: D2NY G
good stuf yeah now its play time with the fitment, you will love the air mate its so good.

cant wait to have my car back its been off road for 5 weeks nah :(

Great choice buddy. Air is really sorted nowadays. I was doubtful at 1st, but asked a lot of questions and decided to go for it and I'm glad I did. Awesome install too. Here's how mine sits. I'm pretty chuffed with the fitmentView attachment 35496

Reactions: ESD1711
good stuf yeah now its play time with the fitment, you will love the air mate its so good.

cant wait to have my car back its been off road for 5 weeks nah :(

I feel your pain mate! I was 3 and a half months in my wheelchair and crutches without getting to drive mine. Makes it worth waiting for though!

Think I need 20's now. Really wish I'd had the money for your cantona's!

Great choice buddy. Air is really sorted nowadays. I was doubtful at 1st, but asked a lot of questions and decided to go for it and I'm glad I did. Awesome install too. Here's how mine sits. I'm pretty chuffed with the fitmentView attachment 35496

Looks good fella :)

Yeah air made sense for me for a load of different reasons. Impressed with how it drives too!

Reactions: seandom
Looks good fella :)

Yeah air made sense for me for a load of different reasons. Impressed with how it drives too!
Yeah it's so practical that I don't understand why people slate it so much. It's good in the corners without jarring your spine, and I can still get down all the gravel tracks to go fishing without getting stuck or grinding anything off. It's just great. Enjoy buddy

Reactions: D2NY G
I feel your pain mate! I was 3 and a half months in my wheelchair and crutches without getting to drive mine. Makes it worth waiting for though!

Think I need 20's now. Really wish I'd had the money for your cantona's!

hopely be back and better than before, shows u at next man??

hopely be back and better than before, shows u at next man??

I think we've just got a couple of local things up here in Scotland coming up - we were down in Cumbria at the weekend there, but our next venture down south probably wont be till Edition now..... shall see how things pan out though!

When it came to stripping off the old coilovers - it was pretty obvious that these were never going to be adjustable again...... these went on pretty much exactly a year ago and as you can see have seen better days. The downside of cheap coilovers I guess!!

IMG_36371_zpsbe66229e.jpg

Hallelujah, words of wisdom indeed. Potential cheap coilover buyers look at that pic and take note of the above if nothing else.

Fantastic job on the bags, a beautiful install. Lovely car too.

Thanks for the kind words chaps :)

Its a bit of a shame really, cos to look at it now - you get no idea of just how much hard work went in to it - a lot of the best bits are the bits that are hidden away and wont ever get seen!

As far as the cheap coilovers go - other than the condition they are in (probably not helped by the amount of time the spent driving up north to Ski resorts), I cant fault them for what they are. But, they are what they are and you get what you pay for I guess!

I think we've just got a couple of local things up here in Scotland coming up - we were down in Cumbria at the weekend there, but our next venture down south probably wont be till Edition now..... shall see how things pan out though!

probs catch you at edition then man

Reactions: ESD1711
Boot build is really tidy ! Nice work

My management is still in its "functional but looks crap" stage !

That looks awesome mate, too low for me but looks brilliant and suppose you can set it how you like

Little bit of jiggery pokery over the weekend....

15mm spacers, heaps of camber and some tyre gel for lube haha, end result is this:

3E40DE56-42F9-45D6-901E-0A3BABC08E7D_zpsqsl8suaz.jpg

looking good man, a prefer a tuck set up ma self, would be well scared of smashin my arches in :(

looking good man, a prefer a tuck set up ma self, would be well scared of smashin my arches in :(

I've always kinda preferred the poke look - it looks awesome from the back :)

Still got a wee bit of a tuck going on up front. If I do the inner wings I could have it tucking quite nice.

Problem was, before the rear arch would have actually sat on the wheel rim, so couldnt ever properly air it out..... had to have my bags sat at about 32psi at the back to keep it off the rims. And when its setup like that, it lowers the front then kinda pauses then lowers the back down after it...... whereas now, i can have all 4 at 0psi and it comes down much nicer.

Would rather not have had to camber it to be honest, but we will see how it goes. I think the 19's will come off at the end of this season so it'll all need re-thought out again. Problem is, the 20's I want are an et35 too, so would be much the same problem....

Headaches mate, HEADACHES!!

Just seen this and you've done a ****** good job espeically on that boot build.

I noticed a few people on this forum are now running air. Don't want to sound nosey but how much is everyone paying for it? I've wanted air ride for about a year but the price keeps holding me back. I looked on ebay and a full set including everything was around £2,600. Does this seem about the right?

Cheers Sam

Just seen this and you've done a ****** good job espeically on that boot build.

I noticed a few people on this forum are now running air. Don't want to sound nosey but how much is everyone paying for it? I've wanted air ride for about a year but the price keeps holding me back. I looked on ebay and a full set including everything was around £2,600. Does this seem about the right?

Cheers Sam

Thanks Sam :)

I'd love to take all the credit for it - but the absolute lions share of the work was done by my best mate - he deserves all the credit for the work.

With regards to cost, you're probably in the right ball-park with that figure yeah, although ultimately it'll depend what kit you opt for and what options you choose.

Factor in fitting costs and a whole heap of consumables if you're going to do anything with the boot build side of things as well - its quite scary how quickly all those small little costs that you hadn't thought about mount up!