My new A4 B7 , very happy so far but there are a few issues.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all, Joined this great place a few days and thought it was a good time to add some pics etc of my new steed.

Its a nice little 2006 A4 (B7)Avant 2.0T FSI Quattro S LINE SPECIAL EDITIONS in "brilliant Black.
Its a one previous owner car with 29k on the clock and in excellent condition .
I was looking for a replacement for my 2006 legacy estate but was struggling to find anything used that filled my requirements (less than 30k miles, one owner , manual, and all wheel drive, in the £12-13k price bracket).

I had pretty given up when i came across this audi being sold as an audi approved used car with warranty, which is not that common as it was a 2006 car and main dealers rarely handle older cars, but, due to its condition which included a very comprehensive service history and model spec etc they were happy to offer it for sale.
Anway, the dealer website pics were not really doing the car any favours on the selling front and i had discounted for a while as it looked a tad worse for wear, but i took a look and i wasnt disapointed.

its had all the servicing due to date plus more inc 2 lots of cambelts and water pump services last one in may this year, new front discs and pads aswell (they arent cheap either)

It wasnt cheap for a 56 plate car but all things considered i think it is worth it. I has the normal quattro s line parts and with the special editions bit too, also has some extra pack fitted which include: Xeon plus headlights/rear side airbags/acoustic parking aid front & rear/heated front seats/bose sound system/headlamp wash.
All very nice compared to the legacy, not sure what audi's option packs are to be honest so these extras may be fitted to most car.

I would like to get an RNSe unit for it and maybe a front splitter to start with and progress from there, as it is under warranty for 12 months i dont really want to alter much just in case something big goes tits-up.....

As far after a few days and limited milage due to work the car does drive well with very good performance etc and for the most part i am very happy with it, fuel consumption is a big improvemnt over the legacy( which drank it). The S Line leather sports seat are fantastic , one of the most comfortable seats i've had in a car for some time.

But, there are a few issues that need addressing, they maybe common faults only feedback will confirm this for me.
First off was a biggy, two days after i got it home cracks were noticed in the front tyres around the shoulder and theywere big cracks, also all the tread was worn away on offside tyre shoulder, baring in mind the car had been a full service and mot by the dealer before i collected it , that came as a bit of a shocker and i wasnt happy at the prospect of forking out on min 2 new tyres so early.
Went down to my local audi dealer that afternoon and explained the situation, they had a look and agreed it wasnt right, they rang the delaer i purchased the car and within 5 mins they were fitting 4 new tyres allround at no cost.
I was well chuffed after that and just shows that there are good used dealer out there.
Problem no2: drivers door handle cover was very loose, but i sorted that out with my old credit card.
Problem no3: The petrol cap looking mechanism is non -operational, if fact it is not even visible, sounds like its become detached in the void, anyway audi are going to sort it out under warranty next week so thats good.
Problem no4: has now appeared in the form of heavy condenation in the drivers side headlamp and it just wont clear, goes with out saying that i'll be looking to audi to sort this too under warranty.

On this subject, is this a repairable job or will they just replace the complete headlamp assembly.

Thats about it on the neg side of things as far but fully expect a few other gremlins to appear at some point, just hope its within the next 12 months.
In summary then, well chuffed with my A4 so far, and based on what has been done to it and its proven history etc i think it was well worth the purchase.

I hope to be picking other member brains as time progresses for future mods etc.
a few pics attached.
Audi1 020
Audi1 021

Audi1 022
Audi1 032
cheers
Rob

Looks like a nice car you have there, brilliant mileage and history-you should be really pleased!

I can't help you with much really (although it sounds like your dealer has it all in hand!) other than the headlight. My passenger headlight was misting up when I got mine a few weeks back. It can be bulb covers not being seated properly on the rear of the headlamp, but mine was the rubber seal around the top of the headlight which is just covered by the wing. I have managed to put a small amount of silicone around the seal and the light which has cured the condensation (you'd never know, made sure it was nice and neat), however, it is a bumper off job to get the headlight out so I would imagine you'll be leaving that to Audi? It's only about 25 bolts to remove the bumper, piece of cake really. But if it's under warranty I'd let the dealer take care of it, sounds like they're happy to help!

Congrats on the purchase anyway! :)

congrats on the car, they are pokey little things :)

I must ask though.... Why has it had TWO cambelts already at 29k!!??

congrats on the car, they are pokey little things :)

I must ask though.... Why has it had TWO cambelts already at 29k!!??

I did wonder that myself, spoke with audi service dept and they explained that the belts were done dead on time as opposed to milage, but under the approved warranty a major service was carried out again inc belts/waterpump etc and the service details etc have been updated to show this.
I think its a safefty net to cover them during the 12mnth period as its cheaper than if they went ping.

It is fine by me as i get a bit more time/milage before they need to be done again.....

yeah that sounds good to me! nice one. got yourself a bargain there pal :) enjoy

As per scottys comment he would be correct. Its either the miles or the years. As its considered the belt will either strain till 60k/2010 or perish from standing.

And it would be correct 2006 vehicle, cambelt 2010, then 2014

Also grats on the new car I bet it looks a lot better in the flesh.

My only concern was that the drivers seat has a lot of creases in for a car that has 29k miles.

Just to confirm for future purposes. I understand you said the front discs and pads weren't cheap they actually are if you ask Audi to hold up there end of the bargain. Audi have a fixed price scheme for vehicles older than 3 years old. Front discs and pads is £279.

Both your vehicle and mine use the large 320mm discs in front that are drilled. And I just today explained this to someone else that the discs actually on there own are £200. But if you tell Audi its on your site if not I go else were they will do it. And everytime I have taken the car in for brakes they say oh that job would cost over £500+ to get it done and we would make a loss. Again I just say well its on your website and my vehicle is a 2L as per requirement. They just dont touch cars with S/RS badge or any ceramic brake pads or discs. As you can understand they not cheap.

Just out of interest what tyres did they put on for you and what size are they?

And lastly regarding your headlight. If you can get it fixed that's good as they not cheap especially if they replace the unit which is unlikely but if you put up a fuss they usually fold. But I will tell you this the B6 and B7 Audis have always suffered it mine personally is the near side one when winter comes it mists up. Just learnt to live with it. So I am not sure if there was maybe a revised part or rubber to help solve the issue. But if there isn't give it time it will return again.

Nice looking car; welcome to the forum.

As and when you've got all the teething problems fixed, and turn your mind to fitting RNS-E, have a word with forum member and sponsor, NHN. He does audi OEM retrofits for a living, and the list of members who can testify to the quality of his work (as well as his insatiable appetite for tea and toast) is longer than the odds on England winning the World Cup.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys, all info greatly recieved.
Spoke to audi garage today re the headlamp condensation issue , they say they will not attempt to fix it, they will just replace the whole unit, so thats going to be another problem sorted.

As per the seat creases, it is a bit of a camera illusion to be honest, there are a couple of very light ones but they are more superficial than actual creases, probably due to the seat front section being used in the fully extended position, they certainly look fine otherwise and i have no issues with them. I have a friend with a 2011 merc E350 with only 15k on it , his seat are way more creased than mine.
I suppose it's another example of age verses milage, a car maybe 8 years old with 29k miles but the driver may have done long runs and less jumping in and out of the seats, or the same age/milage but a local car with more seat action.... than long runs, not fussed as they seem fine to me.
anyway, thanks again guys for the feedback as far.
rob

Last edited:
[Just out of interest what tyres did they put on for you and what size are they?

They fitted 4 new dunlop Sportmax RT's 235/40 ZR18 (95y) , which was fine by me as my recently sold legacy spec B was running them allround and i couldnt fault them.

They do seem to be good on the A4 thus far, the old michelins were well and truly old and tired....

They fitted 4 new dunlop Sportmax RT's 235/40 ZR18 (95y) , which was fine by me as my recently sold legacy spec B was running them allround and i couldnt fault them.

They do seem to be good on the A4 thus far, the old michelins were well and truly old and tired....
I put new Dunlop Sport Maxx RTs on mine a couple of months ago. They're terrific.

Welcome to ASN!

I put Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 road legal full tread depth track tyres on for summer alloys - most awesome!!

[Just out of interest what tyres did they put on for you and what size are they?

Thats actually really good of them to put those tyres on considering they are one of the best suited for your vehicle. I thought they would put some dirt finders on Good on you Audi.