What is this tube for?

TerryUK

Reaction score
Hello,

Was replacing my Pollen Filter today (First time actually doing work on my car, Ive made it my mission for 2014 to be the year I learn how to do my own stuff to my car, especially when Audi just quoted me just over £1000 for new pads and discs for the brakes!). When replacing the filter I accidentally knocked the black plastic tube off, the one held in by the silver metal clips. I can't work out where it goes or what its for. The only hole I see that it could fit into is a little hole on the battery?

Can you please advise.

Thanks!

IMG 0068

Any other pictures a bit further out so we can see roughly where it is?

It's in the top right hand corner of the engine. I'll take another photo in a few mins.

It connects to the side of the battery, I stand to be corrected but I think it acts as an overflow.

Terry, The pipe you referring to is a overflow tube for certain batteries.

Also acts as a breather pipe but not all batteries have this feature as it connects to the side of the battery then runs down into the fender as a run off point. Also sometimes used for when water is on top of the battery but again it differs a lot based on brand.

Not sure what vehicle you have but it shouldn't cost 1k. unless you got a faulty calliper or something in the likes of it.

Unless its a RS4 or S4. Then again the RS4 fronts are almost 1k on there own anyway.

Reactions: ruairi83
Terry, The pipe you referring to is a overflow tube for certain batteries.

Also acts as a breather pipe but not all batteries have this feature as it connects to the side of the battery then runs down into the fender as a run off point. Also sometimes used for when water is on top of the battery but again it differs a lot based on brand.

Not sure what vehicle you have but it shouldn't cost 1k. unless you got a faulty calliper or something in the likes of it.

Unless its a RS4 or S4. Then again the RS4 fronts are almost 1k on there own anyway.

Ah right, ill make sure ill pop it back in place :)

Yup I was shocked, they agreed to do it for £600 and i still turned them away. I wrote in a letter of complaint about the prices as I think they are making them up. Not herd anything back. Went to a local independent, discs did not need replacing and only the front and back pads needed doing, although front pads still had a good amount of wear left in them. Cost me £200.