Should this item be shaking?

mancdan

Reaction score
Have just been topping up the oil on my 2.0TFSi and when I started up the engine I noticed this item was shaking quite a bit, is this normal?
I'm not even sure what the item is, but as you can tell it is located right near the timing belt.
Video taken from above. Hopefully someone can tell me what it is and if it should be vibrating like that.

[video]http://s6.photobucket.com/user/dti2k/media/VibratingItem_zpsfbd7894d.mp4.html[/video]

That my friend is a belt tensioner or if you want to be technical accessory belt tensioner. It has nothing to do with the timing belt but yes you are correct it is near it. Basically the item puts the belt of your AC, power steering etc under tension.

And its normal they move like that when they start moving a bit wild then you know its bust. But they also tend to make a clicking noise. If yours is doing neither then you all good.

Reactions: Craig Cull and mancdan
Cheers Giosabcsl.
No wild moving or obvious clicking, so all must be good.
Phew!!

No worries.

"If the accessory belt is sloppy and loose in your vehicle, your generator, power steering, and a/c might not work properly. Alternatively, if your belt snaps constantly, the tensioner is too tight. With either problem, the only solution is a new tensioner. This unit is a factory-direct replacement for your original, worn out unit. It applies the proper amount of tension to the belt to keep it tight against all of the accessory pulleys.
Recommended to be replaced any time accessory work is performed or when belts are replaced."

Reactions: mancdan

guys watch my video im.having a clicking noise and something that my be the accessory belt as above mentioned in the video ita moving near the belt quite fast but not as noticable on video but its causing a sort of pinging noise

Can't hear the pinging noise but if it does that, one of the pulley edges is colliding with something metallic. Worth investigating.

Reactions: khanvict86
No, not straight away. You need to have a close look at the alternator pulley but taking off the belt and check the pulley is not wobbling about, also the tensioner mechanism may be too loose. . However if the belt hasn't been changed for years, I suggest to change it now.

which belt are you refferring to? lol sorry im not a grease monkey

a few people have said its the alternator clutch pulley.

soot1 how sure are you its the aux belt? have you come across this noise before?

You need to read my post 10 again and establish what is loose before you change anything.

Reactions: khanvict86