Interested in buying a 57 A4 2.0 TDI S-line

Jet1990

Reaction score
Hi all,

new to this forum. I currently own a 03 A4 1.9tdi (100 BHP) SE and a opportunity has arisen to upgrade to a newer A4.

As the title states I've come across another A4 but this is on a 57 plate with 132k on the clock, the trim is a 2.0 tdi s line auto. I'ts just had the timing belt and water pump changed at 130k with the previous keeper owning it since 60k and 90% of the miles were motorway miles as well as regular servicing.

I've heard alot of bad things about these engines compared to my current engine but what do you guys think. I'm getting the car at a very good price and its got quite a few extras such as full sat nav system etc

thanks in advance

If it is a front-wheel drive automatic, it will have the Multitronic CVT gearbox. Unless you can be shown documented proof that the car's service history includes gearbox oil changes at or near every 40,000 miles, walk away. No buts, no questions, just walk away.

I guess at 132k the gearbox must be in pretty good order, but service history would be a must for me.

I'd also want to see some indication that the oil pump/balance shaft issue had been rectified....if not then there must be potential for failure at that mileage.

Hope it all checks out for you.

Was there still an issue in this particular year for the balance shaft?