Intake manifold - split in diaphragm - advice please?

Bethj

Reaction score
Hi there

I'm new to this forum but have been trawling through some past threads which have been very informative. I have a 2007 A4 2.0 170BHP with 110k on the clock. To be honest, I've had nothing but trouble since buying it approx 3 years ago. The latest problem has been diagnosed by my local independent garage - he has found a split in the diaphragm inside the intake manifold. From reading previous threads it appears that this is fairly common - symptoms included glow plug light coming on intermittently culminating in the engine management light coming on a couple of weeks ago. My garage chap has been advised that he needs to replace the complete manifold but I think I am correct in thinking that it is possible to purchase the part that I need for approx £10 or so? What my local mechanic has done in the meantime is blane off a vacuum pipe that goes in to the manifold? Sorry if I'm sounding a bit vague but I'm not 100% sure what he has done. What I have now noticed is that I get a sound I can only describe as a blocked hoover sound (the sound you get if you put your hand over the end of the hoover pipe whilst vacuuming!?) - this occurs when accelerating quite hard. Could anyone give me an opinion as to whether replacing the split diaphragm in the manifold will sort this out? My husband thought it sounded like a problem with the turbo but the chap at the garage says he has checked the turbo and that it is OK.

Another issue that I've had for a while now is that it does blow a lot of blue smoke occasionally - mostly on start up when the engine is cold. But this does not happen every time?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

Sorry this is the wrong section.
A moderator will move this to the B7 Section soon.
Thanks.

Reactions: Sandra
Moved to correct section now. Welcome to audi-sport.net :) x

Reactions: Audi Dynamik