I am a total numpty

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
My attempt to fit LED sidelight bulbs with error cancellers yesterday ended in ignominious failure. I managed the easy part; removing the air duct to access the bulb cover on the driver's side, yanking the bulbholder out of the main beam housing, and swapping the standard bulb for the LED, and in-line canceller. Unfortunately, I failed to notice that the bulb holder end of the error canceller was not a very tight fit for the LED bulb.

As soon as I tried to feed the new bulb into the headlight aperture, it fell out of the bulbholder and dropped through the hole into the headlight housing.

:keule:

Last edited:
Reactions: T3nnant
I've done this with my side light before, we made a little noose with some string and a straw and fed it through the hole, hooked it around the lamp, pulled the noose tight around it and pulled it out, it worked a treat, give it ago if you still haven't solved this problem.

Take your string, double it up, feed it through the straw so the looped string comes out of the other end of the straw, feed straw and string into the headlight, book around lamp, pull string, grip lamp and hey presto.

Reactions: Av4nt and tut_gareth
Bit of bent wire, pop some duct tape on the end and use it to fish the bulb out.

i use the above duct tape and a wire coat hanger

I have one of these flexible tools for getting those nuts and bolts that drop into places where you don't want them too . And also an extending magnetic tool.
They are a god send when you drop something and enable you to fish it out rather than jacking the car up to remove the engine covers just to get a nut or bolt.

LASER TOOLS 2434 MAGNETIC & FLEXIBLE CLAW PICK-UP TOOL - 2PC | eBay

Karl.

If all fails then it's not too much of a job to take off the bumper and headlamp and shake that sucker out of the hole.

Ive just got some Bright white xenon coloured sidelight bulbs...Will these need in line cancellers? are these sidelight bulbs 501 or T10 ?

Last edited: