Bit of 4 wheel launch action from York drag way yesterday

Craig Cull

Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Had 3 runs at York yesterday. Messed up the first 2, then managed a launch I was quite happy with! I didn't expect it to be a 10 second car, but we were hoping for 13 seconds....
Needless to say we were very happy with 13.4 and top speed of 101mph in the 1/4 mile.
Car performed well! Just the driver let the side down lol! Good tyres will take us into a late 12 easily. Could have probably got more but didn't want to push it too hard. 3 runs is enough.

Audi A4 B7 2.0T FSI Quattro (Stage 3) Vs Audi S4 B5 - YouTube

Audi A4 B7 2.0T FSI Quattro (Stage 3) Vs Audi S4 B5 (2nd angle) - YouTube

Anyone considering the k04 conversion.... Do it!! You'll never look back! :)

Reactions: DieselJake, Big Al and V6 Quatt
I don't think you will make up 0.5s with different tyres, not unless you have really poor ones at the moment. What was your 60ft time ?.

Karl.

I don't think you will make up 0.5s with different tyres, not unless you have really poor ones at the moment. What was your 60ft time ?.

Karl.

I'll have to check the slip. I'm running ditch finders so I'm happy half a second is doable. Pulled 0.6 of a second just by driving it like I meant it. I'm happy I could have got better than that, but like I say, 3 runs was enough.

A 1.8s 60ft time sounds good , the tyres can't be that bad. To get 1.5 second times I think usually requires slicks or serious amounts of power.

Karl.

Reactions: warren_S5
A 1.8s 60ft time sounds good , the tyres can't be that bad. To get 1.5 second times I think usually requires slicks or serious amounts of power.

Karl.

It was probably the launch control that got me off the line that quick to be honest mate.
My mate was watching at the side and said that all 4 wheels lost traction on launch so hopefully some good rubber might help. There only accellera tyres, not a bad everyday tyre to be honest, but put them under some load and they can't handle it. Naturally for £65 per tyre lol, you wouldn't expect any more from them. Just not sure which way to go tbh.

Good job it wasn't wet, I had some nearly new Aceelera tyres on my Passat when I bought it, they were the worst tyres I have ever had on a car completely useless in the wet.I ran them for a few weeks then bought some part worn continentals and put them on, much better and I felt a lot safer.

Karl.

Good job it wasn't wet, I had some nearly new Aceelera tyres on my Passat when I bought it, they were the worst tyres I have ever had on a car completely useless in the wet.I ran them for a few weeks then bought some part worn continentals and put them on, much better and I felt a lot safer.

Karl.

I've never had any trouble in the wet tbh, makes things more interesting lol! These are 235 35 19's though so maybe that helps, but who knows, hit boost in 2nd gear through a corner in the wet and your sideways. Very manageable with the Quattro tho tbf.

Here's the in car video from my first pathetic excuse of a 1/4 mile, partially left the handbrake on, shifting too early due to the handbrake warning making me think I had an oil pressure warning, and a poor launch.... Even after all that I still beat the Subaru lol. Typically the only in car video that recorded, so better than nothing I guess.

http://youtu.be/YpTjmoilqlo

13.4 is a cracking time. S3's which are a good bit lighter are doing mid 13's on Stage 2 plus spec.

Karl, need to get the B8 on the strip!

Rick

Cheers rick! Vote of confidence as always! Few bits to do and you can take it for a week or two and do your thing. Back on the strip on the 25th after giving it a once over.

Knew I went to the right place! Very happy with the results!
😀

Click on the build thread link at the bottom of the post.
3.0 TDI quattro, DPF delete and remap by Rick, Modified exhaust, Intercooler, additional fuel pump, modified airbox, lightweight wheels, S4 brakes front and rear. Hopefully somewhere just over 300bhp and 660Nm . It certainly goes well enough, theres a RWYB at Santa Pod on the 17th May so if the weather is good I will probably be there.

Karl.

Click on the build thread link at the bottom of the post.
3.0 TDI quattro, DPF delete and remap by Rick, Modified exhaust, Intercooler, additional fuel pump, modified airbox, lightweight wheels, S4 brakes front and rear. Hopefully somewhere just over 300bhp and 660Nm . It certainly goes well enough, theres a RWYB at Santa Pod on the 17th May so if the weather is good I will probably be there.

Karl.

I'm on the app mate, doesn't show any links. My dad's got a 3.0 TDI Quattro, he's thinking of getting it mapped. You done anything with the clutch? I want to go to Santa pod but it's a trek, might go next month. Still got loads more to add really so might just wait until then. First gears abit **** in the manual, only thing that let's it down. He let me have a blast, really enjoyed it. I prefer the petrol but if I wanted power and economy it would be a no brainer

Nice sounding exhaust.
My car is a manual even though it has a dual plate clutch it's not the same as a DSG box.
To get around the problems of transmitting loads of torque through a single plate clutch Audi along with LUK created a dual plate clutch system for the 3.0 TDI. It effectively uses two 228mm clutches stacked on top of each other so gives you twice the capacity of a single 228mm clutch.
People have run upto 800Nm on the standard clutch which seems to be about it's limit, They seem to handle 650-700Nm with no issues which is 480- 515 Lb/ft of torque.

Look at page 36 of the A5 SSP, the A4 3.0 TDI uses the same system.

http://training.avme.net/admin/Upload/SSP/4801_392 Audi A5 generell.pdf

Karl.

Nice sounding exhaust.
My car is a manual even though it has a dual plate clutch it's not the same as a DSG box.
To get around the problems of transmitting loads of torque through a single plate clutch Audi along with LUK created a dual plate clutch system for the 3.0 TDI. It effectively uses two 228mm clutches stacked on top of each other so gives you twice the capacity of a single 228mm clutch.
People have run upto 800Nm on the standard clutch which seems to be about it's limit, They seem to handle 650-700Nm with no issues which is 480- 515 Lb/ft of torque.

Look at page 36 of the A5 SSP, the A4 3.0 TDI uses the same system.

http://training.avme.net/admin/Upload/SSP/4801_392 Audi A5 generell.pdf

Karl.

Wow, I didn't realise that! That's quite clever really, sharing the load so to speak. That's a lot of torque aswell! Guess that shows how much the Quattro system could handle

finally got around to watching the vid. thanks for making public ;) very nice!!! :D things beasty!!!!

Reactions: Craig Cull