Temp gauge probs?

imotepify

Reaction score
Hi guys, the temp gauge in the DTM looks as if its not working but after a while it creeps up 2 around 60ish so im thinking new sensor or stat? The car runs fine and pulls v well but im just wondering if this could end up over heating or not letting the fan cut it when it needs 2. So any advice???

Thanks, Karl.

either stat or the temp sensor

are you geting good heat threw vents ?
does the temp drop when you go faster ?

Hi, not noticed the temp change at speed just stays low then when we get into traffic it will sit at 60ish and have not noticed the heat through the vents as not used the heater yet lol will go find out asap.

Yep, it gets good heat through vents when set 2 high!

id change temp sensor first
only use oem tho as others are hit and miss for working

As bez said stat or temp sensor. Sounds more like the stat is stuck open.

temp sensor about 21 quid from audi
stat im not sure was a long time ago i bought one.

Any ideas as 2 how much the sensor and stat cost?

Definitly thermostat you may notice your fuel consumption will be more as well during this time.

06D121111G - Audi Thermostat for your vehicle. £31 retail , £22 trade

Try and use the Audi part as they revised it a few times due to cracking etc.

The easiest way to tell is check if you getting a engine fault code.

Also if you idle and rev the car do you notice smoke? Or even if you driving and come on boost if you are getting puffs of black then definity thermostat.

But if either are up the poll the engine diagnostic will tell you. Mine had the same issue it would go to around 70 something then when I idle in traffic it would go down.

No smoke at all and the mpg is fantastic, best car ive owned for economic run! We did 2.5 hrs from Derby 2 Cambridge sitting around 80ish and have used it all weekend and its only used just under half a tank lol

Could driving with the car like this cause any problems like overheating ect?

Hi guys, if I let the A4 sit in my garage for 15 mins on tick over the temp gauge will rise to 90 deg but will stay at 50 deg while driving so would this be a stat problem rather than a temp sensor?

Thanks again fella, is it much of a job 2 change and how much was your stat?

Karl.

My stat was supplied and fitted free as Coventry Audi had the car in at the time (trying unsuccessfully) to fix my engine hesistation - which was a faulty crankshaft impulse sensor (due to oil leaking over it).

I did research changing the thermostat which is under the inlet manifold. The alternator has to be removed to access the pipes and screws securing it, about 2 hours work apparently -

Thermostat DIY please - AudiForums.com

Alistair

Reactions: imotepify
For reference I had my thermostat changed last year at an independent garage for £128. Parts £27 + labour £80 + VAT.

Had the stat changed, but the problem is still the same (will get up to 70ish degrees faster, but that might be my imagination lol) so whats next 2 change? Thanks, Karl.

If its not the stat, then its most definitely the sensor....No doubt about it. Unless you have a air lock in your system.

My DTM when driving is warm within 1.5 miles generally speaking.

If you know someone with a VAG Com just get them to scan your vehicle it makes life a lot easier. You might find a world of errors :happy:

I dont know why but I think I recall there being 2 sensors. But not 100% sure.

Part number for the one for sure is - 06A 919 501A

Hi fella, thanks for your help. What temp should they run at, 90ish? And is the sensor easy to reach?
Thanks, Karl.

No problem, as for the temp it should be on 90. nothing more nothing less.

If there is 2 the one is harder than the other. One sides right at the rear of the engine.

Ect

That should help

Strange thing is it will rise up to 90 when sat in the garage on tick over (that's why I changed the stat first) will do the sensor and report back ASAP.
Thanks again for your help, Karl.

New temp sensor and all is fixed, sits at 90 degrees now and only had 1 sensor (I thought they had 2) so not 2 many £££ lol.

Reactions: ruairi83