Bluetooth Roof Aerial

Anito

Reaction score
Morning All,

I've got snow on the ground /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Anyway, I was looking at the brochure for my car and as part of the Bluetooth Prep it says with roof mounted aerial (whiich I assume should be the fin) but my car doesn't have it.

Anyone got thoughts about this? Is the aerial elsewhere?

bluetooth is not a "wired" car kit in the old sense. it is a way of hooking up the audio from the phone to the car's audio/ICE set-up.
More recently, we've come to see enhanced features such as access to the phone-handset's phonebook/sim content, and the ability to make/accept a phonecall from a steering-wheel button etc.
additional tranmission power and aerial reception are no longer common.
I think the "sharkfin" type antenna is an option/feature of satnav, although it will allow hook-up to GSM car-kits with external antenna out. i don't think you'd get the fin type antenna with just the phone prep.

I know it's not the same as the traditional phone kit but it is supoposed to proide an external antenna, hence my question.

My car also has Sat-Nav, but no fin.

cheers

My new B7 avant has Mobile phone prep & DVD Sat Nav, it also has the 'Shark fin' antenna!

Why would you need any form of external antenna for Bluetooth?
It only operates within the confines of the vehicle, having an external antenna would actually make the wireless connection worse as the cars earthed bodyshell acts as an electrical shield.

With the BT prep you do get a cradle and antenna amp which connects to your sharks fin GSM antenna.

In truth you don't need it, and would only use it if you had the cradle for your model of mobile phone.

When you plug a phone into the cradle, it powers up the boot mounted GSM antenna amp.

Hope that clears it up.

Craig

[ QUOTE ]

When you plug a phone into the cradle, it powers up the boot mounted GSM antenna amp.

Craig

[/ QUOTE ]

So the antenna is in the boot then? How come it says the roof on all the material. Was it once on the roof and they moved it?

cheers

No, the antenna is on the roof for the GSM phone, which connects to the antenna amp in the boot.

The BT module has a BT antenna installed into the module under the seat.

What I said is when you insert a phone into the cradle it turns on the boot mounted antenna amplifier. the amp is connected to the sharks fin and is used purely for better reception in the car. Not for the bluetooth.

Strange but my B7 has the GSM/Bluetooth prep and no 'shark fin'!

Maybe the design has changed?

Steve

Possibly, I know that they are now integrating a lot of the antenna systems into the rear window frame.

Craig

[ QUOTE ]
. the amp is connected to the sharks fin and is used purely for better reception in the car. Not for the bluetooth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Craig, I'm agreeing with you, just used the wrong words in my reply. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I am still left with the same cureosity. I have both bluetooth and SatNAv in my car. The roof has nothing

Yup, I have the gsm kit (cradle) but in the saloon, I dont think you get a sharkfin. Not sure where the aerial is though since there is a connection to it in the cradle?..
Maybe Craig knows?

If you haven't got a Sharksfin antenna then its in the center of the rear windscreen frame at the top.

a1.png

a2.png

Hmm, thanks for this, i'll take a look.

Out of interest where did you get the info / diagram? Is ot from a CD manual or something that I can get my hands on?

[ QUOTE ]
You only get a sharkfin if you spec RNSE Sat Nav and Phone Prep from factory.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I have, but no fin

[ QUOTE ]
The fin is only on B7's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Every B7 with factory RNSE I've seen has had it anyway!

[/ QUOTE ]

me, me , me, me.. except the fin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sharkfin avant only 100%, with both dash mount gsm or arm rest gsm factory phone prep.......... even without nav, just been through all this @ dealers

imported_VERN said:
Sharkfin avant only 100%, with both dash mount gsm or arm rest gsm factory phone prep.......... even without nav, just been through all this @ dealers
Only in the US!

In the UK we only get the sharkfin if: it's an Avant AND (you have factory fitted sat nav AND/OR factory fitted phone kit).

PetrolDave said:
Only in the US!

In the UK we only get the sharkfin if: it's an Avant AND (you have factory fitted sat nav AND/OR factory fitted phone kit).
EH ??? thats what i said above and i am from the U.K

But Anito said "Every B7 with factory RNSE I've seen has had it anyway! "