Badger5Chris Nott
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Paul B7

Thread: Rust?

1st Gear

Status

Rust?

As above, where do the b7's rust most/first? My old avant had a small bubble just infront of the rear wheel arch but are any other areas a common problem?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    iv never had a rusth b7 or b6

Neutral

Status
    The front wheel arches sometimes corrode.

5th Gear

Status
    Roof gutters.
    Nathan

Red Audi A4 B7 S-Line with Leather/Alcantara interior

Current Mods: Painted Brake Calipers, Gear-driven oil shaft assembly, RS4 grille, Debadged, B8 MFSW, Cruise Control, RS4-style Fog Surrounds, Satin Black Cupra R Splitter, RS4 RARB, Clear Corner headlights, 2011 RNS-e, MTEC Drilled and Grooved Brake Discs.

3rd Gear

Status
    Front wheel arches have had to be treated and painted on my 2005 model.

Neutral

Status
    My 07 already has a couple of small bubbles under the paint on the tailgate... Only 55k too Not impressed...

csm
    Neutral

Status
    My front wings are getting blisters on my b7 56 plate, cant say im happy with what these cars cost thats for sure

2nd Gear

Status
    Tell you all a good trick that works, Ive had a few mercs and trust me they rust real bad, the trick? get a handful of grease and slap it under the wheel arches pulling it upwards and into the lip of the arch, you know the little folded over bit, stopped my wifes merc getting any worse and was still good two years later when we sold the car.
    The grease sweats and leaves a lovely oils film for a few inches inside the arch, really does work.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by lynallbel View Post
    The grease sweats and leaves a lovely oils film for a few inches inside the arch, really does work.
    Spot on. The original BMC Mini had front and back subframes. The rear subframe was notorious for rusting away but the front one - made of exactly the same materials - rarely did. The reason? It became naturally coated with a film of oil & grease from the drivetrain (old Mini engines leaked oil like the sun rises in the east.)
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Craig Cull's Youtube Channel
    Got to say, I've never worked on a B7 for rust related issues. Mines covered 108k and it's like brand new still. Iam a little OCD with it though. Unless it's had a poor repair at some point in it's life, I wouldn't expect to see any form of corrosion at all. They are well known to be very well corrosion protected.
    K04 hybrid turbo. S3 injectors, Autotech hpfp internals, RS4 fuel pressure regulator, custom FMIC, APR carbonio intake, decat pipe, milltek cat back non resonated 100mm tips, unicorn developments custom remap, launch control and flat shift. Valet mode, economy map and full power map options. Stage 3 southbend clutch with single mass flywheel, Eibach pro street coilovers, eibach front and rear anti roll bars, porsche cayenne 6 pot calipers front, S4 rear brake conversion.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by craigcull View Post
    Got to say, I've never worked on a B7 for rust related issues. Mines covered 108k and it's like brand new still. Iam a little OCD with it though. Unless it's had a poor repair at some point in it's life, I wouldn't expect to see any form of corrosion at all. They are well known to be very well corrosion protected.
    Neither would I, from happily owning many audi's and being in the automotive industry for many years, but there is rust appearing and I'm certain the panel hasn't been repainted..

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Well they come with a 12 year corrosion warranty, so could be worth visiting the dealer. Don't worry about paint service intervals, aslong as it's not an outside influence like a stonechip, they should accept the claim, especially if it's an original panel. Worth a shot
    K04 hybrid turbo. S3 injectors, Autotech hpfp internals, RS4 fuel pressure regulator, custom FMIC, APR carbonio intake, decat pipe, milltek cat back non resonated 100mm tips, unicorn developments custom remap, launch control and flat shift. Valet mode, economy map and full power map options. Stage 3 southbend clutch with single mass flywheel, Eibach pro street coilovers, eibach front and rear anti roll bars, porsche cayenne 6 pot calipers front, S4 rear brake conversion.

Neutral

Status
    My near side front wheel arch has some corrosion as does my tailgate. Mine's an 05 plate
    A4 2.0T Avant S-Line Quattro, room in the boot for a leisurely lifestyle

3rd Gear

Status
    Well they come with a 12 year corrosion warranty, so could be worth visiting the dealer. Don't worry about paint service intervals, aslong as it's not an outside influence like a stonechip, they should accept the claim, especially if it's an original panel. Worth a shot

After all the issues with the 2.0tdi oil pump/balance shaft that I have had and the seven lettters ( yes seven not several) exchanged with Audi Uk I couldn't be troubled going back to Audi for the rust I have on my own vehicle and paid to have it sorted myself.
    Audi survive through slick marketing and company car sales not through good engineering and quality control.

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

To be honest I never visit the dealer, if the engine had problems or I have paint work issues, I usually sort it myself. I work for one of the most reputable skoda dealerships in the uk, and we don't do things that way, so I was hoping that others do the same, clearly not. It's a shame to hear. I would offer my services but my bodyshop has unfortunately stepped back a year.

3rd Gear

Status
    To be honest I never visit the dealer, if the engine had problems or I have paint work issues, I usually sort it myself. I work for one of the most reputable skoda dealerships in the uk, and we don't do things that way, so I was hoping that others do the same, clearly not. It's a shame to hear. I would offer my services but my bodyshop has unfortunately stepped back a year.
    It's the thought that counts !
    Craig Cull likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    Think Uk weather does help too. Mine is pretty bad on wheel arches and rear hatch, and really bad on both rear wheel arches where the bumper meets the bodywork. The fronts wings are easily replaced but the back end will be a head@ck to fix! A real shame as its the only negative i have had ownership wise. Audi offered to fix the rear hatch and back end but wanted me to contribute 600 quid for the repair....which i didnt take up.

BR
    A

Neutral

Status
    2006 and all my arches had rusted. Fitted new wings to tje front just the rear now :/

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Wow, I really didn't think these suffered from that much corrosion. Think I would have taken up the £600 contribution though... They would have given you a 5 year warranty on repair, which you could send back 'when' it's returns. Corrosion needs catching early or you have no chance of stopping it unfortunately.

5th Gear

Status
    Wow, I really didn't think these suffered from that much corrosion. Think I would have taken up the £600 contribution though... They would have given you a 5 year warranty on repair, which you could send back 'when' it's returns. Corrosion needs catching early or you have no chance of stopping it unfortunately.
    Yep, in hindsight I should have taken the offer Craig....but I didn't think I would be holding onto it long enough....FAIL! hahaha every car I have owned up here old and new have had rust issues...except my 2002 RAV4.....you are right, any rust needs to be sorted quick and proper or it's f#cked for life!

Cheers
    A