2.0T FSI Forged Engine Build Has Started, Big Turbo Build.

My 034 catch can sounds exactly the same set up as the revo one,is there any vent or cap ,or is it a sealed pressurised system,my 034 one is a sealed type.Does the catch can need the mapping altered to suit or is mine rough idling due to something else,its fine when running stock pcv.Craig do you have a link for the intercooler that you have please.[/

No mapping required, it's just a pressurised system.
I'll have a look for the intercooler, was a while ago. You'll have to make your own bracket for it. Well, make everything for it. Map sensor port will need welding in, along with the S3 flange.

Yeah that's how they need to look! 😃

I'll tell you,we were all surprised by just how much crap there was.

I was running 2 bar on that setup.....now I'm only running 1.87bar,and the car is substantially faster.

I'll tell you,we were all surprised by just how much crap there was.

I was running 2 bar on that setup.....now I'm only running 1.87bar,and the car is substantially faster.

I can imagine! I bet it just generally behaved it's self on idle and was much more responsive when coming on and off the throttle. Can't wait to get mine done! In trying not to be impatient. I just need to send the head off, and order the pistons and rods. Just finishing the DTM at present so hopefully we should see some movement over the next month or so :)

Reactions: S3Alex
So! The engine is out! :)

Now to mint up the engine bay ready for the forged Edition 30 engine.

I will post more as we progress! :)

Reactions: Big Al
Looks like a LOT of works been done.

The new engine will be great.

Keep it coming!

Reactions: Craig Cull
Well, after rebuilding 3 A4's over the last month, I've finally got round to my own car again lol!
So, I've decided I'm going to have the edition 30 block oversized to 83.5mm with JE pistons and riffle drilled IE 144mm connecting rods. Also going for a lower compression piston 8.5:1 to be able to run higher boost. Head is going for polishing and porting, injectors will be going to HGP in Germany for the 1400cc conversion. Also to my delight, Owen developments are supplying me a HTA3582R M-Spec turbo with turbo smart external waste gate, custom built into a GT28 housing to allow it to drop straight into its original place without the need for a custom manifold. Also after speaking to the Evo guys, OD have also agreed to put me a smaller A/R housing in, to reduce the lag, with the option to upgrade in the future. Also a nice anodised turbo housing, spiral conical nut and some serious flow. V Band options also included. This turbo should happily handle my 600bhp target, now All I need is to be able to meet the fuel demand... Oh yeah and actually start building it lol.

Most people know me on here for playing with my A4. Some people are expecting it to happen over night, but I believe research is the key to any successful build. When iam happy that I have left nothing to chance, the build will begin. So please be patient and keep tabs on this ongoing project, hopefully you will see this one off weapon of an A4 Quattro at every available meet/show/race next year, advertising my business C R Motorsport.

To coincide with my body shop and tuning business, the car will also have the full eom DTM kit, just with subtle changes to make it unique. I always wanted a red DTM, so I'm building one.... If I was sir Audi, this is how the A4 DTM would have come from factory haha!

Reactions: Mcsquared, V6 Quatt, S3Alex and 3 others
Well, here's the next update.... After abit more research and feedback from tuners across Europe, it appears JE pistons shrink in the long run. JE say this is completely normal but I can't see how excessive oil usage and piston slap is 'normal' so I've decided to take my build into a different direction.
First things first.... I've managed to secure a bulk buy from a tuner in Greece who has been more than helpful in supplying the advice and parts I need to see some big big GG's :)

So I've secured a Garrett GTX3076R turbo (which may also visit OD when it arrives, although we may do that next season instead when we realise that the numbers just ain't enough) with manifold, tail waste gate 44mm, all connecting lines for oil and water (including the lower pressure valve for the Garrett) inlet manifold to cater for an extra 4 injectors (supplied) stage 3 cat cams with lifters and springs, APR Hpfp, Carrillo pistons (which allow for the higher lift) 83mm, Scat Rods and 21mm steel tool wrist pins, AEM watermeth injection and high flow low pressure fuel pump.
The head goes for port and polish in a week or two and the block goes for boring out next week.

And then.... Dare I say it... The build begins!!!!

Once built I will be taking it to olly for a custom down pipe and intake set up, then on the way home I'll be dropping it with Rick @ unicorn motor developments for a week or two, so he can make this car twice the weapon it was before. Even a low boost map for the wife

Also the DTM body kit is now in my possession!

It's nearly a year ago since we accomplished the k04 build and in the grand scheme of things it seems like it was a small conversion. Let's hope this bhp target doesn't become a distant memory.

Stay tuned peeps, I will be back very soon :)

Reactions: ANDYTQ
You arent referring to the Audi Doctor in Greece by any chance :p That has the B6 which was 1.8t now with a supra engine :p

And with all the above said. One question what is the end goal?? Is it a hp figure you aiming for or a certain quarter mile time. Even thou the vehicle will be used by the wife etc. Just curious :)

You arent referring to the Audi Doctor in Greece by any chance :p That has the B6 which was 1.8t now with a supra engine :p

And with all the above said. One question what is the end goal?? Is it a hp figure you aiming for or a certain quarter mile time. Even thou the vehicle will be used by the wife etc. Just curious :)
No mate, he's running an Audi TT at the minute which is running 530bhp without the extra set of injectors.
Aslong as I break the 500bhp marker I'll be happy. It's only coming out in the summer as it will be dry stored through the winter to keep it looking mint. The low boost map is only so the wife can drive it, doesn't mean she will lol! She was scared of it before so I doubt she will drive it now, but the option is always there

Also the quarter mile is our main target. As close to 10 seconds as physically possible :)

Well I wish you the best and will keep a close eye on the project. I think the HP figure is the easy part. Getting 10 seconds is the hard part :p Especially as the car will be stock as possible in terms of seats interior etc. But I hope you get it. :)

Well I wish you the best and will keep a close eye on the project. I think the HP figure is the easy part. Getting 10 seconds is the hard part :p Especially as the car will be stock as possible in terms of seats interior etc. But I hope you get it. :)
Well that's the plan, take it as close to 10 seconds as possible, but still a drive able every day car. It will be down to the driver I think, 13.4 with budget tyres and a more or less standard car was more than we expected tbh. I'm considering the 4.1 LSD front and rear from jh Motorsport, but it might just creep over budget so it may have to wait. We will see haha!

Just from personal experience which you may know already but ill share with you and fellow members that read this post.

The biggest mistake I see with a lot of people doing various projects is that people never have a goal in mind or a end accomplishment. They just want something fast and can blow most cars away as a example. But those people are generally the ones with cars that don't last long or continuously have problems. Because the direction they start in, ends in the complete other direction. For example they dont put a budget in mind which I know this is not the case with you but again just as a whole.

Going out and just adding adding to a vehicle will never make you happy more of a temporary happiness kinda like taking a drug, great for the moment but doesn't last for ever. Yes it may look better or go faster but at the end of the day its you as a person that needs to be happy.

And always remember when it comes to vehicles there can only be 3 ways to modify a car were it be mechanically or cosmetically.

Price, Reliability, Performance.

You can only ever have 2.

So if you still reading and have made no sense of what I just said here is a example..

If you want say a "reliable engine as well as performance" its going to be a heavy price.

Just some food for thought.

Just from personal experience which you may know already but ill share with you and fellow members that read this post.

The biggest mistake I see with a lot of people doing various projects is that people never have a goal in mind or a end accomplishment. They just want something fast and can blow most cars away as a example. But those people are generally the ones with cars that don't last long or continuously have problems. Because the direction they start in, ends in the complete other direction. For example they dont put a budget in mind which I know this is not the case with you but again just as a whole.

Going out and just adding adding to a vehicle will never make you happy more of a temporary happiness kinda like taking a drug, great for the moment but doesn't last for ever. Yes it may look better or go faster but at the end of the day its you as a person that needs to be happy.

And always remember when it comes to vehicles there can only be 3 ways to modify a car were it be mechanically or cosmetically.

So if you still reading and have made no sense of what I just said here is a example..

If you want say a "reliable engine as well as performance" its going to be a heavy price.

Yeah I totally agree, direction in a build is essential. For me it's now become an obsession as this car really does mean a lot to me. I can't find anything else to the quality and looks for the money. The only thing it lacked (IMO) was power. A cracking family car as it was with more than enough poke, but for an enthusiast/power freak like myself, it was the only thing it lacked.
Now I have 2 prodrive Subaru impreza STI's (both will be gone this week) which I took in px on the 2 audi's I repaired. 305bhp, short shift box and a very quick car, but what an absolute piece of **** they are. It's just a micra with 300bhp.... The moral of the story, until I went Audi, I would have chosen au scooby or an evo all day long. But not now, I could never go back, I can't wait till the last one goes tomorrow so I can spend my earnings on my Audi A4. Nothing would please me more than to show my son (who I haven't got yet) the pictures of how me and his uncle started from nothing and grew a business out of something we love.
And to make a nice family car do 1/4 mile in 13.4 seconds and still has all the trimmings inside, is a small but to me, huge accomplishment.

That's the direction I have mate.

But all that's happened is the target has got bigger so we can become recognised in the tuning industry (we're already know in the bodyshop world)
If one more person comes to me and trusts me to answer a question about their car, then That makes it all the more enjoyable. :)

Reactions: DieselJake

Just my few P's worth on this.....

Absolutely right.....direction,planning and attention to detail are essential,or you end up with either a grenade,or a mess.

It's like the guys with a manual boost tap,who wind it up until the poor thing goes bang.....it's cheap,and it works for a bit,until something breaks.

I agree also with the comments about reliability and performance.....having both will amount to a heavy price.

Sounds great craig its going to make mincemeat out of my project
I've just got power issues mate, the k04 conversion is more than enough for most people, and believe me when I say, you will absolutely love it!! IMO it's how Audi should have built the A4's in the first place but where's the fun in that. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished project aswell! I think you'll be more than happy. If not, your engines prepared and safer than mine was. Plus there's always someone like me wanting more lol!

I've just got power issues mate, the k04 conversion is more than enough for most people, and believe me when I say, you will absolutely love it!! IMO it's how Audi should have built the A4's in the first place but where's the fun in that. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished project aswell! I think you'll be more than happy. If not, your engines prepared and safer than mine was. Plus there's always someone like me wanting more lol!

That's true Craig,but it is fun,isn't it!

Yep theres always a hybrid option later,what are bul pistons limit ?
Exactly, or even big turbo. The BUL pistons aren't forged so I've been told they are good for 500 bhp, but I wouldn't fancy pushing them to that. Think you would be safe at 450bhp. Your running water meth so shouldn't get too hot.

Exactly, or even big turbo. The BUL pistons aren't forged so I've been told they are good for 500 bhp, but I wouldn't fancy pushing them to that. Think you would be safe at 450bhp. Your running water meth so shouldn't get too hot.

I think that's the thing about exploring the limits of something.....unless you have the money for a new engine etc,it's easier to let someone else find the safe limits first!

I think that's the thing about exploring the limits of something.....unless you have the money for a new engine etc,it's easier to let someone else find the safe limits first!
Yep totally agree mate! Let someone else fire a piston through the bonnet, that way we can say, yeah, that's a little too much lol!

Reactions: S3Alex
Yep wont be pushing it quite that much,how much should i get from my build with present build spec ,350 ish ?
Possibly more with the wmi, I've seen people achieve 400+ with a hybrid

Possibly more with the wmi, I've seen people achieve 400+ with a hybrid
Both the Loba and TTE hybrids should top 400bhp easily,and are pretty much fit and forget types of replacements,without the hassle of a traditional BT build.

On S3 engines,since these won't exceed 440lbs,there's the added bonus of not having to worry about bending rods,but I don't know the safe limits of the 2.0TFSi.

WMI is great.

Greetings from across the pond!

I am looking forward to this build! The LSD will definitely help you if you are shooting for 10s.

Here is my K03 B7:

Who is doing your tuning?

Jake

Greetings from across the pond!

I am looking forward to this build! The LSD will definitely help you if you are shooting for 10s.

Here is my K03 B7:

Who is doing your tuning?

Jake

I'm liking this jake, I did 13.4 1/4 mile on a k04 hybrid, but as you can imagine with the standard diff it just couldn't put the power down. I've been considering a diff upgrade, what did it cost you for the jhm diff?
Impressive numbers on a k03!

I just ordered all the parts last week so more pics should be up very soon!
The engine will be built before Xmas hopefully! :)

Sorry for got to add.... I will be sticking with rick @ unicorn motor developments as he knows my goals and always looks after me on a personal level. You don't get that with many other tuners. Plus I want him to use my car to trial his mapping with a second set of injectors. (He doesn't know this yet so I'll break it to him gently lmao)

Sorry for got to add.... I will be sticking with rick @ unicorn motor developments as he knows my goals and always looks after me on a personal level. You don't get that with many other tuners. Plus I want him to use my car to trial his mapping with a second set of injectors. (He doesn't know this yet so I'll break it to him gently lmao)

Haha nice! I am not familiar with Unicorn. Are they strictly Europe? Hopefully they are able to help you achieve your goals!

I actually haven't installed the LSD yet, but I do have the 4:1 which definitely helps bring the power to the rear. The LSD was still in R&D/Testing when we ran the 13.3 unfortunately.

We just did a soft release for our B7 A4 Software for the North American ECU's and we are now working on the ROW ECUs and we are also working on a big turbo solution, so I am excited for that!

I also noticed that you have the fastest B7 A4 k04 1/4 mile time! The fastest I have seen have been 13.7s

B7 A4 1/4mi List:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/172629-The-B7-A4-1-4-Mile-Dragstrip-Database

Audi 1/4mi Database:
http://audirevolution.net/quartermile/

Haha nice! I am not familiar with Unicorn. Are they strictly Europe? Hopefully they are able to help you achieve your goals!

I actually haven't installed the LSD yet, but I do have the 4:1 which definitely helps bring the power to the rear. The LSD was still in R&D/Testing when we ran the 13.3 unfortunately.

We just did a soft release for our B7 A4 Software for the North American ECU's and we are now working on the ROW ECUs and we are also working on a big turbo solution, so I am excited for that!

I also noticed that you have the fastest B7 A4 k04 1/4 mile time! The fastest I have seen have been 13.7s

B7 A4 1/4mi List:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/172629-The-B7-A4-1-4-Mile-Dragstrip-Database

Audi 1/4mi Database:
http://audirevolution.net/quartermile/
Unicorn are a local (to me) tuner who do a lot over Europe tbh, rick seems to get to the safe limits and still manages to get good power output.

That's a shame, atleast when you next run it will be on the 4:1, I'm very interested in seeing what a difference it makes tbh :)

Sounds like you have plenty in the pipeline which in also excited to see!

Wow! Even managed to break an APR tuned A4! I'm very pleased with that result! Maybe I should send a message with all the details and get us to the top of that list! Hopefully we will break the BT list aswell! :)

These cars actually have quite a bit of potential and can make some nice power safely!

You should definitely get on the list, it is pretty bare. It hasn't been updated in a couple of months though because there are a few people who ran. There was a self tuned k04 car that wen't 13.8@102 and a GTX28 car went 13.8@106 but with a terrible DA of 8700ft.

I already had the 4:1 (center diff upgrade) in my car for those runs, but I didn't have the LSD (limited slip differential)

4:1 -- http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalog/jhm-41-center-diff-upgrade-manual-trans-only-p-46.html

LSD -- http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catal...r-b6-b7-a4-s4-manual-transmission-p-1888.html

These cars actually have quite a bit of potential and can make some nice power safely!

You should definitely get on the list, it is pretty bare. It hasn't been updated in a couple of months though because there are a few people who ran. There was a self tuned k04 car that wen't 13.8@102 and a GTX28 car went 13.8@106 but with a terrible DA of 8700ft.

I already had the 4:1 (center diff upgrade) in my car for those runs, but I didn't have the LSD (limited slip differential)

4:1 -- http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalog/jhm-41-center-diff-upgrade-manual-trans-only-p-46.html

LSD -- http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catal...r-b6-b7-a4-s4-manual-transmission-p-1888.html

I'm on the list now and shared with others to try and make it a little bigger lol!

So your running the 4:1 in the gearbox and will be running the LSD on the rear? I'm a little out of touch with this side of things so I may need educating.

I love the potential of the b7 as well, it looks nice still and is a great platform, especially with no haldex to get in the way :)

At least i have a time to aim for craig.
Launch control and flat shift probably aided that time tbh. But even then there's not much in it. I wouldn't say my car was running at it's best that day either, not to mention the ditch finder 19s I was running.

All the new parts should arrive this week, then it's time to start the build :) seems like my cars been off the road for an eternity!

I'm on the list now and shared with others to try and make it a little bigger lol!

So your running the 4:1 in the gearbox and will be running the LSD on the rear? I'm a little out of touch with this side of things so I may need educating.

I love the potential of the b7 as well, it looks nice still and is a great platform, especially with no haldex to get in the way :)

I saw! I have been trying to get more and more people to go to the track. The list is slowly growing which is good!

You are correct, I only have the 4:1 on my car. I know a lot about these cars, so if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Jake

As promised, a quick update on the parts that have arrived!
Now just to send the head off for port and polish, then have the block re bored to 83mm and the build can begin!

Garrett GTX3076R Turbo
Tial external waste gate
APR Hpfp
Cat Cams (wild)
C.P custom pistons 83mm
Scat rods
Custom inlet manifold & 2nd set of injectors
AEM wmi

So the build will begin as soon as the head is complete and ready to fit.

For the time being, the RS4 injectors will be used until we're on the limits, then we will be looking into running the 2nd set of injectors on a standalone ECU with their own separate fuel pump.

I will keep you posted on any progress as it happens

Reactions: JudderMan