DTM advice

imotepify

Reaction score
Hi guys, after our bad luck with the 3.2 quattro (cam chain) we have found a nice DTM for sale that we are going to put a deposit on but are there any issues with the 2.0t engine we should look for?

Thanks, Karl.

Hi Karl

If you search this forum you'll find loads of information. Maybe that's why others haven't replied? The DTM is a 2.0T FSI Quattro like mine but a special edition. Check my build thread (link in signature) for the things you should look for. Basically, great service history, VCDS (VAGCOM) checked, how it drives, handles, stops, sounds, smoke, leaks, coolant, dash lights, plus you could always pay for the AA, RAC or another company to check the car for you. The turbo bypass valve often fails so the car feels like it doesn't have a turbo, fuel pump issues give rough running, engine and pedal sensors fail, bushes and shocks wear, turbos fail, PCV valve system leaks, oil lines, boost hoses, MAF failures, aircon issues plus more serious oil pickup blockages, pump & chain failures, camshaft rear chain & tensioner failures, cam lobe wear, carbon deposit on intake valves. Get it on a garage car ramp and take a very good look underneath with a torch - I always do when buying a car! I just offer beer money no receipt for the garage mechanics to take a look with me, checking bodywork, chassis, suspension, brakes, engine, turbo, ancillaries etc.

Good luck and keep us updated on your purchase! Add yourself to this thread - http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4-a4-a4-cab-b7-chassis/180768-dtm-register-owners-thread.html

Alistair

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the advice. The service history shows that the cambelt and the water pump were done at 51631 miles on 10.06.2011 how often should they be changed? As might try and get the seller to meet me half way with the costs.

Just had a look in my service book. On page 15 bottom right table it says 2.0T engines every 115,000 miles to change the camshaft drive belt (and ancilleries V belt), along with water pump and tensioning roller. So it should be fine? Check the air filter, oil service, pollen filter, plugs, coil packs (on recall to revision R), fuel filter, brake fluid, coolant. Then possibly battery, wipers, brake pads and xenon headlight bulbs have all been changed, along with gearbox and rear diff oils (my car has had all these done). Exhausts rust but last, I'm fitting a stainless one. Tyres obviously (I've changed wheels), worth also having a 4 wheel tracking alignment done. Remember to check the spare wheel, tool kit and for locking wheel nut. Swivel joints, front links, track rod ends, springs & shocks plus the clutch/DMF all wear too, but should last 100,000+ miles. My car has just passed 80,000 and these are all still fine. Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lizard-Racing
Thanks again for the advice fella any ideas as to a cost for the haldex/rear dif oil service

Audi changed their mind a fair bit over the cambelt. It's so many miles in the book. Later they decided on so many miles or 4 years. I did the cambelt, waterpump and tensioners at 4 years. Expensive if it snaps.

Sorry just checked back through my emails. 5 years is the non mileage interval.

Thanks again for the advice fella any ideas as to a cost for the haldex/rear dif oil service

No Haldex on our Quattros, it's full time 4WD. Gearbox and separate rear diff oil service from Audi cost me £193.51 - but I live in Solihull, it maybe cheaper with your Audi dealer?

Depending on how mechanically are you inclined to work on your vehicle imotepify,

The cost per the fluids is as follows

Diff oil needs 1.5/1.7 litres - So 2x bottles of diff fluid - Part Number G052 145 S2 - 22.86ea retail and trade is 19.88ea
Gearbox takes 3.5 - So 4x bottles - Part Number G055532a2 - 16.24 ea

So retail total cost - £110.68

So £80 saving. You don't have to use Audi gearbox oil as there is many other alternatives that are better and some are cheaper as well. Particularly brands like Motal and Redline etc

Lol Thanks again fella, cant wait 2 go get it will post up some pics we have put a deposit on the dtm and will bring it home asap if its as described but looks stunning in the pics :)

Depending on how mechanically are you inclined to work on your vehicle imotepify,

The cost per the fluids is as follows

Diff oil needs 1.5/1.7 litres - So 2x bottles of diff fluid - Part Number G052 145 S2 - 22.86ea retail and trade is 19.88ea
Gearbox takes 3.5 - So 4x bottles - Part Number G055532a2 - 16.24 ea

So retail total cost - £110.68

So £80 saving. You don't have to use Audi gearbox oil as there is many other alternatives that are better and some are cheaper as well. Particularly brands like Motal and Redline etc

Thanks for the advice, can do lots myself but will ask a local garage (friend) to do most of the work

Well that's good. But honestly if you can get the car on a ramp or any form of lift will make life so easy.

It literally is just a filler hole and drain hole couldn't be any easier.