Noooooo It happened, Low Oil Pressure

Low Fuel

Reaction score
Well the wife got home today from work and complained that the turbo is not kicking in all the time and the car will not go above 50 MPH, She then told me its had a Low Oil Pressure light on for the last 10 miles :(

After going off on one about how she should of stopped the car I calmed down.

So its a very very late 55 plate 2.0 tdi with 135,000 on the clock, Audi are unsure if it has the chain or gear mechanisim as it is such a late 2005 model.

So what should I do, I started the car for 20 seconds and believe it or not it sounds normal, but obviously the turbo has gone or will do soon.

My mechanic will attempt to fix it but what will he need.

New Turbo
New Oil Pump
New chain kit

If its a new gear system fitted and that has failed can that be repaired?

Could the engine be knackered as it was drive for 10 miles with low oil pressure? and is there anything I should tell my mechanic to look out for/do

Thanks for any help guys, as I am currently 50/50 on selling it like it is:(

Well the wife got home today from work and complained that the turbo is not kicking in all the time and the car will not go above 50 MPH, She then told me its had a Low Oil Pressure light on for the last 10 miles :(

After going off on one about how she should of stopped the car I calmed down.

So its a very very late 55 plate 2.0 tdi with 135,000 on the clock, Audi are unsure if it has the chain or gear mechanisim as it is such a late 2005 model.

So what should I do, I started the car for 20 seconds and believe it or not it sounds normal, but obviously the turbo has gone or will do soon.

My mechanic will attempt to fix it but what will he need.

New Turbo
New Oil Pump
New chain kit

If its a new gear system fitted and that has failed can that be repaired?

Could the engine be knackered as it was drive for 10 miles with low oil pressure? and is there anything I should tell my mechanic to look out for/do

Thanks for any help guys, as I am currently 50/50 on selling it like it is:(

Read the last 10 pages or so of the Sticky: 2.0tdi oil pump /balance shaft failure and all will become clear .
Good luck.
[h=3][/h]

Reactions: Cab Steve
Yeah I read it all a while back but I thought we were in the clear :(

Just more worried that I will pay for all this work to be done and then find out the engine is ruined anyway...

Well it will be a cheap sale with a oil pressure problem. you will find it hard to sell for more than 2k.
Maybe take the sump off and oil pump and maybe even a big end cap just to see the damage.
If the big end is OK just replace the oil pump and hope is OK.
The turbo not working could be down to limp mode.
I think this will be a first step.

Well it will be a cheap sale with a oil pressure problem. you will find it hard to sell for more than 2k.
Maybe take the sump off and oil pump and maybe even a big end cap just to see the damage.
If the big end is OK just replace the oil pump and hope is OK.
The turbo not working could be down to limp mode.
I think this will be a first step.

I am with you Steve on this one. I would even go so far as to say the car would be unsellable as is ?
Do what Steve suggests and get the sump off and have a look or get a responsible person to have a look for you and take it from there. In the mean time lets hope for the best and research your options.

The light once triggered will probably keep the low oil pressure sign on,so it doesn't mean you have definitely driven 10 miles with 0 oil pressure.
With this Audi/Vw oil pressure set up its hard to tell what oil pressure the pump has or is pumping at any time.
As long as the oil pump can muster 0.2 bar the light will switch off and you will never get a message or warning,even if @ 2000 rpm plus it still pumps 0.2 bar the Audi/Vw will be happy,the turbo on the other hand will be very unhappy.
The only way of telling what damage has happened in this instance is to have a little look,at best you could get away with a exchange oil pump from one of the remanufactured guys and thats it all done,at worst it will be a recon engine.

Thanks guys, Mechanic will be taking off the sump Monday, told him to hold off on ordering parts until we know where we are with it.

Just out of interest, what year are we safe with these oil issues, I have heard of 2007 and early 2008 having a similar problem but if and when we do upgrade what is a 'good year' shall we say.

Thanks guys, Mechanic will be taking off the sump Monday, told him to hold off on ordering parts until we know where we are with it.

Just out of interest, what year are we safe with these oil issues, I have heard of 2007 and early 2008 having a similar problem but if and when we do upgrade what is a 'good year' shall we say.

There is no good year !
Audi did the last upgrade to the design late 2010 ( yes 2010 , 2 years after the B7 models were superseded by the B8 ).
This in effect was little more than fitting a longer hex shaft for those who have looked into it in detail.
The 2.0 tdi engines by Audi as found in the B7 models are the pants period !
There are even reports of this issue being found in the B8 models, up to 2010 being the latest to my knowledge.

Thanks Paul, have saved me some heartache there then.

Would love a Q5 but I have lost faith in the company at the mo.

Thanks Paul, have saved me some heartache there then.

Would love a Q5 but I have lost faith in the company at the mo.

I have driven Audi for nearly thirty years and my 2.0tdi is the most expensive Audi I have ever owned in terms of repair costs. Its a never ending saga with these F*****s.

They are designing the oil pump to fail at a certain mileage in my opinion, that's why they keep tweaking it instead of redesigning it compleatly to a more durable drive,eg.just like the tandem pump drive would suffice.
I think they are tweeking it to reach a exact mileage in most driving styles.I think the dream customers go like this.
Rep decides he wants a Audi so Audi sell brand new car and are happy,they service it for 3 faultless years,and are happy with that.Then it gets sold on to the next owner who they have on file as being a bit of a skinflint,anyway skinflint has a catastrophic fail that requires thousands of pounds worth of parts that only Audi can supply, so Audi are happy again,or the owner scraps it because it will cost to much to repair.
so the second hand cars sitting on the Audi forecourt hold there price higher.same demand and less supply = higher price so Audi are happy again.
All in my opinion.
So the best way to repair your oil pump is to get it remanufactured by someone other than Audi,or to remove the pump throw it in the skip and put a reliable chain driven pump off a alh engine on.(search balance shaft delete). And you will become happy Audi driver once more,maybe even fit a oil pressure gauge so you can gloat at its superior engineering ;-)
Don't trust any big company they all do this now,boiler manufacturers ,washing machine manufacturers you name it they all do it.

A conspiracy theorist if ever there was one ..........................

Thats said could be all true, will we ever know ....................................LOL

Its either that or they are very very poor at engineering.
I find that very hard to believe.
The design of the oil pump drive uses a hex that is not big enough diameter by a long way,a 12 km hex or more would never fail ever.
A drive the same as the tandem pump would never ever fail.
So why stick with a hex the same size as a pencil with very small shoulders that tend to round off?
I just don't understand it.
Very poor engineering, or very clever engineering. You decide

**UPDATE**

So we have taken off the sump and we do in fact have a chain driven system, It is looking absolutely perfect though and we were confused for a sec as to what the problem was...that was until we pulled out the Hex key that sits in the shaft.

It was completely rounded off, ****** annoying :(

So I thought I may as well fit new parts whilst we have it stripped and its going to be about £1400 all in but I suppose we will have no problems for the life of the car now.

Still annoyed about a silly Hex key causing this whole mess though.