S3 to S4! Should I make the leap??

Harveysmith

Reaction score
Hi bigger brothers! I have few questions for you S4 convertible owners. So I currently own a 2007 plate S3, totally standard, and fancy a change for the summer. Still want to obviously stick with Audi brand.

My questions are;

what's the S4 like to own and drive?
how bad or good is the MPG
what low cost mod can you do to bring the 0-60 time closer to the S3's

cheers

Last edited:
I love my B6 saloon S4, a bit heavy if you are used to a smaller vehicle, you'd probably notice as the V8 makes the car front end heavy with the saloon, not sure about the cabrio.

Did you mean to past your mobile number in instead of the reg plate Number?????

Not sure about 0-60 question, what times do you have at the moment with your S3?

Standard S3 time is 5.7 for manual, and about 5.4 for S-Tronic. With basic mods to either you get much closer to low 5s.

S4 is every bit as quick, just doesn't feel it as you don't get the turbo kick in the back. The progressive linear power makes it feel slightly slower even though it's broadly the same.

Ha yes I meant to say 07! We'll they are 265bhp standard with a 5.7 0-60 time, the only thing I have is a new, upgraded DV and at the mo it 282bhp on a recent rolling road so guessing around 5.5.

Where about are you based? Have an 07 S4 cab you could have a look at and a drive if that helps you out!

Hi Abb. That's very kind of you thank you. I live in Plymouth, Devon.

You couldn't have got further away! I am in the North East. Offers still there though! TBH toyed with selling mine last year and then changed my mind, glad I did they really are lovely, understated cars with a lively sound. Has just passed its MOT again, no advisories. One thing to bear in mind is the tax bracket, I have just paid £500 yesterday to tax the thing for another year, it's slowly crept up year on year, from £450. Make sure you look at plenty, there's some rough ones about, I looked at a few, wanted a specific colour combo and spec, held out and found the one. Probably paid over the odds (20k) 3 yrs ago, but it's been nigh on trouble free since, so worth it in my eyes.

Don't get too obsessed with the 0-60 time. It's the least relevant performance measure there is.

Hi.. I have a JHM tune and it's decatted, pulls like a train, keeps up with stock RS's no problem. In fact I now have more torque than an RS. My car dyno'd at 373bhp and 329lb ft. Without sounding like I'm telling you to suck eggs, Torque is key not bhp. Cost wise £380 for the map and £480 for the Downpipes so under £1k for a good chunk of power. Don't listen to anyone saying it's not worth remapping an NA engine! I'm actually thinking about selling as I want an RS but mine's an Avant and I'm in Scotland so probably not what you're looking for.

MPG is bad but if you drive like a granny you could see mid to high 20's, normal driving late teens early 20's. Nail it and you'll see low teens even single figures. Tax is a killer for anything post March 2006.

Common problems- leaking Aux radiators, leaking Rocker gaskets, Coil packs (but it's a recall so it's free) and then the much hyped timing chain guide problem which will be expensive to sort as it's an engine out job but don't get sucked into all the horror stories, they're not all like that. Most folk I know with S4's do rattle on startup but only for a second or 2 which is apparently normal (cue never ending chain rattle debate!) Loads more info on Audizine.

Good luck.