Weight-saving measure - Any reason this wouldn't fit?

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I saw this while browsing eBay the other day. Bearing in mind my spare wheel is a 235/45x17, and the car (a Quattro) runs on 235/40x18s, I figured why not stop lugging 40-odd kg of excess weight around.

Surely a spare wheel well is going to be pretty much the same size in any car, yes, no?

Lmfao easy tiger its a public forum lol

Reactions: jdp1962
Your spare wheel and a jack probably weighs nearer to 30Kg than 40Kg but still a worthwhile saving. I sold my space saver spare on Fleabay for £100 and bought one of those compressors and a tin of gloop for £20. So I am £80 up and 30Kg lighter. If it ever comes to the point that the compressor or glopp won't fix the tyre I will just ring the AA and they can get the car going again.
Karl.

Thats great until you hit one of the many potholes damaging wheel and tyre, then whats the aa guy going to do?
I have always carried a spare and a puncture repair kit, but then if you saw how much extra steel my land rover carries you would probably faint!
Not forgetting tow ropes, jump leads, tools etc.
Last time we had snow you wont believe how many people had no tow rope, I mean who sets out in heavy snow with nothing?
Ive even got a set of steel snow chains like you do!

Your spare wheel and a jack probably weighs nearer to 30Kg than 40Kg but still a worthwhile saving. I sold my space saver spare on Fleabay for £100 and bought one of those compressors and a tin of gloop for £20. So I am £80 up and 30Kg lighter. If it ever comes to the point that the compressor or glopp won't fix the tyre I will just ring the AA and they can get the car going again.
Karl.

It was reading your B8 build thread that made me think about it.

Thats great until you hit one of the many potholes damaging wheel and tyre, then whats the aa guy going to do?
I have always carried a spare and a puncture repair kit, but then if you saw how much extra steel my land rover carries you would probably faint!
Not forgetting tow ropes, jump leads, tools etc.
Last time we had snow you wont believe how many people had no tow rope, I mean who sets out in heavy snow with nothing?
Ive even got a set of steel snow chains like you do!

Thanks, Lynallbel; it's all food for thought.

I currently have 3 sets of wheels for the car, a set of 17 inch winter wheels a set of 18 inch 5 spoke s line wheels and the ones on the car. Thus I have plenty of spare wheels. So as most of my driving is within 10-15 miles of the house at worst I can get one of these on the car. If I am a long way from home then these will do the trick, nearly all the breakdown services carry these .

Universal Spare Wheel - Dynomec Ltd

or similar.
There are more and more cars on the road these days with no spare wheel and it's becoming the norm rather than the exception.

Karl.

Reactions: lynallbel
I've removed my spare for a few reasons:

- Weight saving
- Running 19s not OEM 18s anymore
- Rarely get punctures (touch-wood)
- Have breakdown cover in the event of a flat
- Almost double the boot space in the cab when you use the spare wheel well...

If i get a flat on the front i have to do a front to back swap as the space saver wont fit over 6 pots,i now carry a spare alloy 18" as a spare.I did think about buying some light forged merc rims that could have saved 30 lb and looked smart too,but disappeared off ebay before i had a chance.

I currently have 3 sets of wheels for the car, a set of 17 inch winter wheels a set of 18 inch 5 spoke s line wheels and the ones on the car. Thus I have plenty of spare wheels. So as most of my driving is within 10-15 miles of the house at worst I can get one of these on the car. If I am a long way from home then these will do the trick, nearly all the breakdown services carry these .

Universal Spare Wheel - Dynomec Ltd

or similar.
There are more and more cars on the road these days with no spare wheel and it's becoming the norm rather than the exception.

Karl.

Thats clever not seen that before

Surely it would be able to cope with a different sized wheel for 5-10 miles whilst you drive to get a replacement tyre...? Or am I being naive...?

I think its an open diff, so mechanically Im sure it would be fine, but Im also sure the electrics would get a right sulk on, different wheel speeds etc, but sure beats walking!