Definitive Answer: Where to Place Axle Stands B7 S4

Lion Heart

Reaction score
Hi guys

This one's proven quite frustrating...

I've done several Google searches and nobody seems to offer a definitive solution as to where the axle stands should be placed.

Description with an image would be ideal!

Do Audi main dealers have an 'official' axle stand point, or do they never have use of axle stands due to having various ramps?

WOuld be really useful to lock this down for people, like me, who are searching for a clear and concide answer.

Any help much appreciated!

under the car ?

Reactions: DriverN00B and kanecullen89
Under the wishbones/subframe or I have little blocks of mahogany cut that fit in the top of my axle stands with a slot for the sill. Pretty much any where you'd jack it from, Google jacking points.

the stands i have have rubber blocks.
i stick them under the sills where the caps are

This may be of some use

Jack

For a 2003 - 2008 Audi S4

When you say sills I assume you mean the standard jacking points (shown in the image)?

I find it really hard to jack it up and have enough space to then put an axle stand next to the jack to lower it back down on to.

Any images of the points for the wishboes or subframe??

Reactions: iucle
I don't have pics of the subframe, but basically as the above comment put the stand where the bolt goes through the subframe onto the body.

Don't think many people would take pictures of where to put an axle stand when doing work tbh mate. If you're not really sure and can't work out how to support your car are you sure it's something you should be doing yourself? Truth is there is no definitive answer, depends what your doing, height car needs to be at, type of head on the jack and stands etc, I usually just work it out as I go.

It seems this is a common question when doing a Google search, but nobody has provided a firm answer.

Many people say where the suspension arm meets the chassis.

I thought it would be useful for people to find out an answer from those who have done it, and images say a thousand words.

I've put cars on axle stands before, just not an S4.

Reactions: Khanage
Can anyone here try Google to get some images together? You don't have to take your own as appreciate that's a hassle, but would be really useful for forum users to get a solid answer on this.

Thanks guys!

cant you google yourself ?
plus the image above is where the stands go

Like Bez says, if you think this would be useful information for the forum, why not establish it yourself, and then share it with the forum?

its been worked out for you in post 6
i dont see a problem the question you asked has been answered with a very good image
including 3 diffrent methods of raising the car
1 jack
2 stands
3 2 post lift
all useing the oem jacking points.

Yes, but if you read any posts on the net about this subject most mention, quite rightly, that there's not enough room in the sill jacking points for both a jack and an axle stand.

Additionally, people have mentioned using various sub frame and suspension points - which I feel is the correct answer, but are not the 'official' points shown in the image above.

So no, it's not quite that straight forward I'm afriad.

But if I'm really the only person who needs an answer to this (seemingly) quite common question then not to worry I'll work it out.

I'll get my car on a lift tomorrow if I can and will get some pics for you. Subframe mounts are best in general due to their inherent strength. They are holding the car up anyway.

ricostuart

You are a gent and a star! Look forward to seeing those - and I'm sure they'll be useful for many people for a few years to come as seems to be a fairly regular question on the various forums!

Uploadfromtaptalk1398504113152

Shop a little busy so can't get the Audi on the ramp today so will get some stock photo this evening for you.

Reactions: iucle
Here's my car on a post lift ramp, supported from the sills using rubber inserts on the ramp arms to stop the pinch welds being crushed.

2014-04-24-6877_zpsc84ce809.jpg

You can use a V cut piece of wood on the top of each axle stand to protect your sills OR you could invest in ECS RS4 sill protectors which fit over the sills? This is the best solution, which I'm considering buying myself.

Here's a link to the ECS website -Audi B7 S4 V8 ECS News RS4 Jack Pad Kit for your B6/B7 A4/S4 plus the parts page itself Audi B7 S4 V8 Search SiteSearch RS4 Jack Pad Kit - 8E0801789KT2 - RS4 Jack Pad Kit - ES#2598405

If you use a jack like this you'll be able to fit an axle stand other end of the car on the other jack pad? Or you could use drive on ramps instead?

20130809112543_large.jpg

Alistair

Last edited:
You can use these points:

The rear wheel suspension arm
Uploadfromtaptalk1398516275954

The front:
Uploadfromtaptalk1398516333807

You can see the bolt bush that the front suspension connects to the chassis.

They ain't the best places as the sills are better, but they will certainly work fine. Use these with the 2 post lift with no issues.

Here's a picture from another thread by Andy TQ who had an exhaust fitted. You can see the front suspension lower support brackets quite clearly.

20140327_124004.jpg

I cant remember the name of the item or which post it was on... but someone did post about a type of jack and axle stand combo which worked together. it was an American company. In which the axle stand has a cutout so it fits around the jack and lifts/secures it from the same spot. very clever idea!

This is where I use the 2 post lift on the s4

8ydanuhy.jpg

emyzepub.jpg

But if I had longer arms I would put it here on the front
ageny6e2.jpg