Drivers Door Mis-Aligned Top & Bottom - Unsure How To Adjust???

Lion Heart

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have a 2006 Audi S4 Avant.

I'm in the UK, so drivers side being the right hand side of the car for me.

Basically the drivers door is misaligned and is rubbing against the wing when opened, which has caused a rust patch which I will get repsrayed once this issue is sorted...

Upon further investigation it's not just the top edge of the door which is mis-aligned (I originally assumed it had dropped hence rubbing on the bottom edge), rather it is misaligned on both the top and bottom.

The gap between the wing and door edge is tiny all the way down the edge, and the gap between the other edge of the door where the two doors meet is rather big.

So the whole door needs shifting 'backwards' by a good few mm on both the top and bottom.

Is this possible, and if so how's it done???

Much appreciated!

Hi Guys

I have a 2006 Audi S4 Avant.

I'm in the UK, so drivers side being the right hand side of the car for me.

Basically the drivers door is misaligned and is rubbing against the wing when opened, which has caused a rust patch which I will get repsrayed once this issue is sorted...

Upon further investigation it's not just the top edge of the door which is mis-aligned (I originally assumed it had dropped hence rubbing on the bottom edge), rather it is misaligned on both the top and bottom.

The gap between the wing and door edge is tiny all the way down the edge, and the gap between the other edge of the door where the two doors meet is rather big.

So the whole door needs shifting 'backwards' by a good few mm on both the top and bottom.

Is this possible, and if so how's it done???

Much appreciated!

Sounds to me like the car has had a bump and a repair.
I am not aware of any adjustment that can be made ,but guess others will chip in ?

Yes, I'm thinking maybe it's had a slight bump.

Not 100% certain though because the alignment looks 'even' all the way around - just needs shifting backwards.

Not sure but could the hinge mountings be removed & a thin spacer plate go in between hinge & A pillar thus moving the door back.

Yes - spacers may well be the solution actually!

Do the hinges not allow for adjust as-is?

could it be an aftermarket wing fitted causeing the small gap ?
iv see it on a few audis

or take a pic so we can see the problem
and the gap at the lock side aswell

Hi there

Yes, I take take some images no problem!

Is it easy to add images on this forum? Some forums I've usd in the past need them hosted elsewhere and it was a major pain!

Hi Guys

Here are some images as requested:

LEFT EDGE OF DOOR (Fairly even and large gap all the way down the edge):

Image 01

Image 02

RIGHT EDGE OF DOOR (Fairly even and small gap all the way down the edge - rubbing at bottom):

Image 03

Image 04

Image 05

So, as you can see the entire door needs moving 'back' by around 5mm or so.

Any help much appreciated!!!

looks like a bad repair
whats it look like on the post ?

id say it needed to go on a jig and wasnt

Only thing you could do is remove the wing and give the hinges a crack with a block of wood and a lump hammer. Sounds drastic but it's what should have been done to help align the post and hinges up prior to panel and paint. It won't take much so don't go mental. Then re fit the wing partially and adjust as you see fit. If your close to Leeds I could help.

Had a closer look at the pictures. I could sort that no problem. The A pillar ligns up nicely which indicates it's near enough. Just wants paneling up properly, then The rest can be adjusted.

i too have a 06 plate A4 avant and my drivers door is rubbing on the wing slightly at the bottom. I was hoping that i could adjust the door slightly to cure the problem befor i get the paint touched up. Iv read else where that you can wedge a 13mm socket into the bottom hinge and close the door carefully with a bit of pressure which aligns the hinges slightly. Not sure if i want to try that though.

Hi Craig

Nowhere near Leeds unfortunately (over 3 hours away!) - but thanks for the offer, that would have been great!

Can you talk us through how you would do it?

Hi Craig

Nowhere near Leeds unfortunately (over 3 hours away!) - but thanks for the offer, that would have been great!

Can you talk us through how you would do it?

No worries mate.

Tbh it's a case of trial and error. You'll have to tap the hinges both top and bottom to keep them in line, and then adjust the door in or out at the bolts to get it where you want it. It's easy to throw it the wrong way. Especially if you hit the hinges too hard. All I can say is give it a go, but it is skill getting it right.

Where the hinges attach to the body of the car - is there much movement when you slacken off the bolts??

I assume when you say tapping the hinges I assume you are talking about tapping the hinge on the car side (rather the door side!) outwards? Wouldn't slackening off the bolts essentially do this? (I've probably missed something!!)

Where the hinges attach to the body of the car - is there much movement when you slacken off the bolts??

I assume when you say tapping the hinges I assume you are talking about tapping the hinge on the car side (rather the door side!) outwards? Wouldn't slackening off the bolts essentially do this? (I've probably missed something!!)

Slackening the bolts would be glorious if you get to them. Like all vags the bolts are bolted from the dashboard side unfortunately, so that's why the block of wood and lump hammer is the only way without getting too involved. If you tap the hinges (A pillar side) with the door closed, you will see the progress quite quickly so just take it one step at a time, trying the wing on after each moment of persuasion. You don't want to end up with it too close to the rear door either so make sure you work within the limits of the gaps. If that makes sense

Is it easy to get the wing off?

Take the wheel arch liner and front bumper off, then the bolts across the wing top, coupe down the a pillar then a couple near the headlight. You may need to take the lower trim off at the bottom of the wing but can't remember. If you take the wheel off make sure you put it back on and drop the at back in the ground before aligning anything up.

Ah - that's very interesting!!

So, where exactly are the bolts located on the inside of the car? Is one of them under the plastic trim to the right of the accelerator pedal (UK car)?

And where's the top one??

How much play do they have if you do manage to access them from the inside and slacken them off???

Most occasions it's a case of stripping half the dash down. You'll just have to start stripping it and see how much access you can get. But I think it will be in vain.

Hi there

Yes, that's what I figured. Just interested to know where the bolts are...