Fuel tank vent modification

Tiku

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm wondering if it is possible to modificate or disable the fuel tank vent of my car. On the B6-models there is a little button in the fuel filler neck just behind the fuel cap. By pressing this button while fueling up the air comes out of the expansion tank. By doing this one can add more fuel in the tank. I know the risk of this operation, don't worry. :)

However, my B7 doesn't have this button, and what i'm asking is that is it possible to refit one of those to my tank afterwards? Or is it possible to modificate the vent so it would let the air off without buttons?

The button is there on my B7, I typically get 7-10 litres extra fuel in when using it.

Is your B7 a diesel? There is a suggestion that it might only be fitted to petrol B7s.

I never knew you could do this... the guide says specifically NOT to do it to petrol cars, only TDIs...

I shall have a go next time I fill up

Could this be the cause of my car not filling up past half tank (go for a drive - get another 10 litres in etc. until full)...

Or is this just on the B6?

Thanks

Have you got a pic of what it looks like?
Just looked at wifes 05 B7 cant see anything that looks remotely like a button.

Take a look at this picture. There is a little button inside the frame on the left side of the filler neck. That's the one. :)

Vent1

Edit: This is not a picture of a B7, but the button of Audi is similar to this.

I've heard (especially on the petrols) that if you've going to use the extra bit to get some more fuel in, ensure you're going to drive on for a while otherwise if the car is sat around in the heat for example, there's no where for any fumes to expand to etc.

Tom

Take a look at this picture. There is a little button inside the frame on the left side of the filler neck. That's the one. :)

View attachment 31114

Edit: This is not a picture of a B7, but the button of Audi is similar to this.

Thanks Tiku, theres just a vent hole on the wifes motor

I can't help but ask.... Why the need for cramming an extra 12 litres in?! :-s

I reckon its because that like me hate visiting filling stations, I can never work out these people who fuel up next to me and no sooner is the nozzle in their tank then its out again, they must fancy the guy/girl behind the counter, me once every two weeks is enough, ****** me off as its adds ten minutes to my journey!
I did ask a lady behind the counter once what the average fill up was and she reckoned 20 quid, which wont get you very far at all.

I can't help but ask.... Why the need for cramming an extra 12 litres in?! :-s

A good question. :) I live in Finland just next to the Russian border, and diesel costs there less than half compared to our prices. That's why. :)

Reactions: SL11CKK
A good question. :) I live in Finland just next to the Russian border, and diesel costs there less than half compared to our prices. That's why. :)

That's a pretty good reason then :)

Can't say I've ever noticed this on my 07 plate b7 1.9, I fill up once a month on nitro + and that's about 66 litres for £85 gives me just shy of 1000 miles

You're getting an average of 66mpg?!?!