2.0T poor MPG

novril

Reaction score
Hi there,

With a little one on the way I finally made an upgrade and got my mrs an A4 56plate avant Sline SE 2.0TFSI. It's a lovely car and love it to bits, it has been blue finned but even before that it returned poor mileage to a tank.

Since we have had it I think its been close to 400miles to a tank everytime. Works out to be around 30MPG on most tanks, though we had a bit of a motorway run for 200 miles the other weekend and it went up to 33 average on the tank. This is working it out rather than the dash display.

Since we have had it I had replaced the PCV valve as the EML came on, changed the diverter valve and it was serviced before we had it. The temp doesn't sit bang on 90 so I have a new stat and temp sensor to go faults on VCDS.

Next steps for me are to check the air filter and the mesh, change the stat and temp sensor to make sure that's reading okay. Though the temp prob flicks from 75-90at extremes.

Any help would be great as I'm getting it in the ear for buying a 'rubbish car that's rubbish on fuel'! If it doesn't get better than this I may have to sell my mk4 golf 1.8t aspiring track toy to buy a B6 1.9tdi wagon as the long range car!

Cheers, Mark.

That's around the right ball park, as said it's the wrong engine for mpg figures.

well 30-33 MPG from this engine seems normal/ good result.
I usually get between 26-30 while driving in the city, 30+ on the motorway 37 was the max I've reached since I own the car.

Well done mate. Your getting very good mpg out of a 2.0t fsi! I've never seen 300 miles per tank in 3 years! Unfortunately this engine isn't the one for big mpg figures. Try 99 Ron v power. You may return 40 miles more per tank... Or in your case 80 miles per tank lol! I would be mega happy with them results.

That's a good mpg mate. Mine is 1.8t fwd convertible and so far I haven't been able to do better than 28mpg on mixed driving.

Thanks for the bad news! haha, I'll try the new stat as that might help a bit. I'll also try the v power and see how that does for a tank. I wanted the quattro but couldn't justify the extra fuel costs, I'd have been in big trouble if I had gone for it I think!

I'll update this once I have done that and see how it goes!

I wasn't sure if how I was driving wasn't good for the engine, I change gear fairly early usually, around 2k. I've tried revving a bit higher before changing, but doesnt seem to affect it.

Cheers, Mark.

Thanks for the bad news! haha, I'll try the new stat as that might help a bit. I'll also try the v power and see how that does for a tank. I wanted the quattro but couldn't justify the extra fuel costs, I'd have been in big trouble if I had gone for it I think!

I'll update this once I have done that and see how it goes!

I wasn't sure if how I was driving wasn't good for the engine, I change gear fairly early usually, around 2k. I've tried revving a bit higher before changing, but doesnt seem to affect it.

Cheers, Mark.

Hej Novril

My mpg suffered when my thermostat gave up the ghost....If your temp isn't bang on the 90c mark when warmed up and driving for a bit then my money is on a gubbed thermostat.

Oh and don't apologise for owning a FWD, they are great cars too Matey!

Cheers
A

Last edited:
I get 24mpg (mostly around town) with 34mpg best on long runs. Making sure your engine is serviced properly makes a difference - plus where and how you drive it of course! Letting it warm up properly before booting it saves quite a bit on fuel and preserves engine life too.

But if you cant afford to boot it and have some fun, why did you all buy one?
Surely if you bought a diesel version you could have the cake and eat it:moa:

But if you cant afford to boot it and have some fun, why did you all buy one?
Surely if you bought a diesel version you could have the cake and eat it:moa:

I put a k04 hybrid on mine, so I can afford it thanks.

I expected a little better than this, but love it all the same. A similar spec TDI was about £1500 more, so it will take a while to use that amount in fuel difference! That's how I won my mrs over anyway!

Mark.

Yes same here there as thirsty as girls on a hen night lol get about 20 ish around town and 30-35 on a long run

I changed both the n75 and n80 valves, this made a huge difference to the mpg figures. Don't have part numbers to hand but do have receipts with them on, let me know if you want them. I get between 24-28 around town and up to 37 on a long stretch cruising around 70mph. Mine is a Quattro, remapped and always filled up with VPower.

My average MPG calculated online (fuelly) over the last 22,879 miles is 29.4 and average miles to a tank is 401.9 based on 57 complete fill ups.
Best mpg is 38.1 to a full tank of 95% motorway driving.
Worst mpg is 23.9 to a full tank of 90% town driving.

See my signature below.

I put a k04 hybrid on mine, so I can afford it thanks.

Craig wasnt being critical of you or any of the other posters, but surely any sane person knows fuel is going to be their biggest cost by far running a car so would do some research and have an idea what to expect mpg wise? just pointing out the obvious.
You I and quite a few other people can probably afford to run cars that do poor mpg, but I still wouldnt want to.

Last edited:
Craig wasnt being critical of you or any of the other posters, but surely any sane person knows fuel is going to be their biggest cost by far running a car so would do some research and have an idea what to expect mpg wise? just pointing out the obvious.
You I and quite a few other people can probably afford to run cars that do poor mpg, but I still wouldnt want to.

Fair play mate, maybe I took you the wrong way. Mines shocking with a k04 tbh 117 miles to £40 of V Power...

C32 I reckon thats one very underrated car, mainly I think because they look duller than dull, cheap as well and the merc M112 engine is almost indestructible, proper simple engineering, unfortunately like all mercs of that age they rust really bady!

I am a new a4 owner with the 2.0tfsi. I am getting 32mpg on motorway and 15-20mpg in town. I mostly drive in sports mode on this multitronic.