A4 2.0 TDi economy, what are people getting?

pin

Reaction score
Noticing mine getting slightly better all the time, only 2300 miles on the clock.

Getting about 550 a tank, and I don't drive like a saint most of the time.

Just interested to know what people get and how they drive, would be interesting to see manual against multi too?

Bought mine with 13000miles was getting 36mpg,now with 22000on it consistently 39mpg nothing like what is claimed 47mpg.

I've been thinking mine is not all that good really. Its now done 14500 miles (4500 from me getting it) but I will check and and post the answer soon.

What is every one getting on a tank?

I could easily get 650-700 miles to a tank in my 2.0TDi 140bhp.

I sometimes didn't have to see a petrol station for 3 weeks, which was great!! :)

A4, When I fill up I zero the trip recorder after the next fill up,I take the litres divide by 4.54 to convert to (Im) gal,divide miles by gallon's I suppose this is the most acurate way for particular driving,mine is very mixed.I had 1.9tdi (90BHP) before i was getting 49mpg plus. My display shows 640-670 after filling but seem to erode away.I enjoy the 2.0tdi more
Thanks

Nearly empted the tank today. I got 431 miles which I guess is poor? I'm only doing town driving at the moment though.

I've got the 170 TDi and am getting between 500 to 550 on a full tank - not as good as the 140 TDi I had before...

Also made a mistake on the S-Line SE - prefer the chrome to the black and the ride is so harsh - looks cool though!

S-LINE TO SE,MINE IS AN S-LINE USED TO FEEL SICK WHEN I FIRST GOT IT (HARSH RIDE) FOUND MY SELF LEAVING SOME AIR OUT OF THE TYRES, BUT GOT USED TO IT AND COULD NEVER GO BACK TO SE.IT GROWS ON YOU

531 MILES SEEM'S TO BE ABOUT IT ON A TANK ARTICLE ON AUTO EXPRESS SHOWED THEIR TEST FIGURES AT 40MPG

I run my tyres on 32 psi - might drop this down. Spoke to Audi about the ride and they have suggested swapping the 18" down to 17"....

Oh for the benfit of hindsight! I'd have got a BMW!!

A4.32 PSI SEEM'S LOW FOR YOUR 18" MAY WEAR ON THE OUTER ,I REPACED MY TWO REAR TYRES RECENTLY WITH 245/40/18 INSTEAD OF 235/40/18 THE (STANDARD A6 TYRE S-LINE) SAME RIM SIZE 8J" WIDTH AND WERE CHEAPER FOR SAME BRAND (MY TYRES .COM)I THINK ITS SMOOTHER COULD BE BECAUSE OLD TYRES WERE WORN WILL EFECT GEARING SLIGHTLY NOT TRIED THEM ON THE FRONT.40% OF 245 AS TO 40% OF 235 GIVE YOU 4MM EXTRA DEPT SEEM'S SHAME TO LOOSE THE 18"MAKE THE CAR LOOK GOOD

Hi All

Now covered 3000 miles in my A4 SLine 170 TDi and thought I would share my MPG results obtained on a recent trip from Nottingham to Scotland and back.

With 4 adults in the car and a very jam packed boot(!) the computer read 49.7MPG on the journey up. With getting up there and driving around for a week, I covered 548 miles with the needle just below the quarter mark. On refilling up to the brim, I had used 11.9 gallons which equates to an ACTUAL MPG of 46 - the overall average on the computer showed 47.5, so it wasn't as far out as I thought it would be.

On the return journey, again with the same occupants, the computer showed a very impressive 52.2MPG from Scotland to Scotch corner, which was about 180 miles. Overall, by the time I got back home, the computer was showing 50.5MPG which I think is pretty excellent.

Usually the computer is 3MPG out but it appears this time it was only 1.5MPG out from the actual results obtained.

Just completed a 3000 mile trip around Europe with a Special Edition 170 TDI Quattro Avant which included everything from Alpine Passes, three figure motorway cruising and town driving. Returned an overall average of 41mpg with the DIS showing 42.5. Well pleased with this considering the variety of driving conditions and the performance of the 170 engine.

Interesting - looks like your computer is only 1.5MPG out from actual too.

Those results are pretty good considering yours is a Quattro too!

I think things are definitely starting to losen up economy wise. My A4 170 TDi is just coming up to 4000 miles on the clock and my usual 30 mile commute has just returned an average figure (on the DIS) of 51.5. I have had a month off from work and before that, the best I could ever achieve was 47 to 48 tops.

I have been very very impressed with my a4 Cabriolet 2.0 TDI. I do a lot of motorway driving but am on average getting between 600 and 650 out of a tank. On a recent drive to nottingham from southampton sitting at about 70mph without the aircon i averaged 51.4mpg on the DIS.... Hope this info helps....

You guys are doing very well with the 170,got 41MPG (brim to brim) this time A4 2.0TDI 140 with 300mile of that motorway 70-80MPH average

hi guys, havent been on the forum for a while but interesting in reading this post. Have just picked up an A4 S-line SE Quattro 170 and have been very disappointed with the economy. Worrying thing is, on the commute to work the DIS is showing 41.5mpg but whenever I get on a motorway and cruise at 70mph it wont show anything better than 37.9. Does the quattro have that much impact on economy. Had the A3 sportback previously with DSG and average was around 55mpg on a long run.

Being to think I might have made the wrong choice!!!!

Only done 900 miles so still 'running in' bout getting 34-38mpg
i hope the mpg improves with the miles!

I've recently bought a 170 quattro s-line avant and i'm only getting 30mpg with sensible driving which only gives me 360miles to a tank which is awful. If i pick up the pace a little (still not that fast) i'm only getting 26mpg.
Is anyone else getting these problems?

360 to a tank?! Thats pretty poor, I'm so glad I went for the 140 version - Never less than 625 to a tank, 690 is the best so far.

I'm dissapointed with the car so far. I only went for the 2.0tdi as i thought the S4 would be bad on fuel, starting to wish i had gone for the S4 which would at least have a bit of speed to it!

Mines awful too - 2500 miles on the clock now and barely getting 420 miles to a tank with careful driving. Also the car feels like I've left the handbrake on when pulling away and stalls really easily. Probably the worst diesel I have ever driven!! Looks good though but drives like a dog.

Same here, not impressed with perfomance or the economy
(which is why i got one and not a new S4)
I've only done 1700 miles so far gettin bout 34mpg on average 420-430 miles on a tank. The dealership keeps telling me it will get better with more miles!
Starting to think i bought the wrong car! want my old S4 back!!

no matter how i drive i always seem to get between 550 & 580 out my 170bhp 2.0 TDI. think its great

just got 620 out of a tank for the first time. Usually average about 530-550. Checked tyre pressures last week and they were well down. I imagine this has something to do with it.:keule:

Unbelievable! I spent ages looking for a 2.0tdi with quattro and it looks like thats the reason for the poor mpg.

I know the manufacturers mpg figures are based on ideal conditions but in the past all my cars have managed to get pretty close when driven reasonably sensibly but this A4 is way off. I'm getting 30mpg which is more or less the Urban figure on the A4 Specs for the Quattro but I don't do any town driving. All my journeys are on A and B roads averaging 40 - 60 mph. The A4 uses as much fuel on my journey to work as my TT does and diesel is more expensive. The dealers have checked the car and say it will improve with mileage. This was never the case with my other cars - they improved slightly but we are talking about a 25-30% difference (I would expect the combined figure 42.2 at least). Has anyone else complained about this to Audi? I for one wish I had gone for the 3.0TDi or the 2.0TFSi now. This car will cost more to run than my TT and that defeats the object of getting it.

Does anyone have any real world figures for a 3.0tdi quattro as i think i may return my 2.0 and get a 3.0 if there is only a few mpg difference as the performance of the 2.0 is pretty poor as well as the poor mpg.

ANNANBHOY said:
non quattro

Ahh that explains it, I thought your figures were good for a 170, most 170's I see are quattro.

I thought about quattro for a while as lots of people bang on about it being the best thing since sliced bread. When I looked at the figures, higher purchase price, higher CO2, lower MPG, higher service costs, slower acceleration - Couldnt see any positives in that lot!

Im now convinced I made the right decision to go with 2WD.

Turbo Steve said:
Does anyone have any real world figures for a 3.0tdi quattro as i think i may return my 2.0 and get a 3.0 if there is only a few mpg difference as the performance of the 2.0 is pretty poor as well as the poor mpg.

30-35 I would imagine, I know audi state higher figures but you never seem to achieve what they quote unless you drive everywhere only using 10% throttle.

Just had another 170Q as a courtesy car while my B6 130 FWD was in.

My drive to the dealership is about 19 miles of twisty A, B and unclassified roads. This gave just about 40mpg in the 130 going there (included about 15 minutes in stop/start traffic) and about 45mpg on the way home. The same journeys in the 170Q gave just over 36mpg in totally free flowing traffic. Not too impressive but a fair bit better than the 32mpg I saw on the DIS from the previous 170Q I've sampled. I should point out that this one had over 4K on the clock and was so much smoother than the other 170Q which had done less than 1K.

From what I've read on this site and elsewhere, some people are only seeing high 20s in 3.0TDIs. If that's really the case then I'd probably get a 3.2V6 instead.

It's also worth pointing out that mpg figures quoted by manufacturers are not produced by them. They are the result of a strictly controlled government test that in no way reflects real world driving so it can be hard to match the figures. I found with previous cars that we got near the figures but only by doing mostly A road and motorway miles and having reasonably long journeys

well if high 20's are acheivable in a 3.0tdi then it is probably worth changing as the extra 60bhp should mean i don't have to push the engine so hard if i want to get somewhere fast as earlier today i did 65 miles on A roads and only managed a 22.5mpg average. i know i was driving fast but no diesel should do that. My 1.9D astravan still returned 29mpg around the nurburgring! and when chipped still returned between 36-40mpg, yet would quite easily see off a 225bhp TT. now thats the sort of diesel i've been used to which is why i'm so disappointed with my A4.

Turbo Steve said:
well if high 20's are acheivable in a 3.0tdi then it is probably worth changing as the extra 60bhp should mean i don't have to push the engine so hard if i want to get somewhere fast as earlier today i did 65 miles on A roads and only managed a 22.5mpg average. i know i was driving fast but no diesel should do that. My 1.9D astravan still returned 29mpg around the nurburgring! and when chipped still returned between 36-40mpg, yet would quite easily see off a 225bhp TT. now thats the sort of diesel i've been used to which is why i'm so disappointed with my A4.

65 miles on A roads giving 22.5 mpg! Something is well wrong with your car or else you haven't realised that you've got a 4th, 5th and 6th gears :jump:

Just refilled the tank on mine and calculated average as 29.7 mpg !! No town driving here, mainly A and B roads but quite a lot of short journeys - my office is only 8 miles from home. Still the TT averaged about the same doing the same journeys - not why you buy a diesel is it? So far the economy has dropped since I got the car -first 2 tanks averaged 34 mpg, the last 30 mpg and this 29.7mpg. Does the Quattro drive train add that much load to the engine - if you believe the sales specs you wouldn't think so.

lawco said:
Just refilled the tank on mine and calculated average as 29.7 mpg !! No town driving here, mainly A and B roads but quite a lot of short journeys - my office is only 8 miles from home. Still the TT averaged about the same doing the same journeys - not why you buy a diesel is it? So far the economy has dropped since I got the car -first 2 tanks averaged 34 mpg, the last 30 mpg and this 29.7mpg. Does the Quattro drive train add that much load to the engine - if you believe the sales specs you wouldn't think so.

I think the main issue is your short journeys. Diesel engines take a lot longer to warm up compared with petrol so your TT would have been at its full operating temp halfway into your journey while the diesel may not heat up fully by the end of your trip. According to the mpg figures for FWD and Quattro, the Quattro drops mpg by about 5 in a TDI170.