Sat nav help needed

joinerman

Reaction score
Help, not used my sat nav since i got the car ( 05 quattro ) had to go to north london this morning so thought i would give it a try, after fifteen minuets of faffing about i don't know how but i got it working but with no voice guidence, it got me to my destination though, tried to set it again for the return journey but failed miserably, is there an idiots guide for setting up ? tried looking through the audi nav manual but it's as complicated to me as flying Concorde, also would there be an updated dvd & can i get one somewhere other than an Audi stealership

What sat nav have you got?

RNS-D (buttons either side of a screen in the centre console), RNS-E (button on the right of a screen in the centre console) or BNS (controls down by the handbrake and instructions only shown in the DIS).

Updated DVD - look for an RNS-E DVD (actually it's a 2 DVD set - Western Europe and Eastern Europe) on eBay (not a copy), but don't get an MMI one as that's no good for you.

The 2014 DVD is out (I got mine off eBay in December 2013).

Here's a 2013 one Audi A3 A4 A6 TT R8 Allroad RNS-E navigation DVD 2013/2014 8P0919884BK sat nav | eBay

Here's a 2014 Western Europe DVD only Audi Navigation plus (RNS-E) DVD Sat Nav Disc - Version 2014 West A3 A4 A6 TT | eBay

Here's a 2014 set Audi Navigation plus (RNS-E) DVD Sat Nav Disc - Version 2014 West A3 A4 A6 TT | eBay

If there's no voice guidance then it sounds like someone (a previous owner?) has been fiddling with the settings.
Best advice I can give to set a route is to start with a postcode (enter that as the town name), then choose a street from the available list and then choose a house number. The choose one of the three routes offered when you start guidance.

Thanks all for replies, i do have the operating manual for it, not good at following instructions in it, some of the menu's i need to use are greyed out, just wondered if there's an idiot guide.
Perhaps if i went into my local audi dealer they might just show me how to use it.

You're not alone. I find the RNS-E fiddly and slow to use, and the manual impossible to follow.

I would think voice guidance is turned off settings.

It's just turned off. To turn it on again, when you're in 'Nav' function push the 'Set up' button and scroll down to Voice Information, then select to put a tick in the box. That should do the job.

Slightly off topic here, but is there any way of resetting the rns-e sat nav? Mines usually 15 miles away from where I actually am?

Slightly off topic here, but is there any way of resetting the rns-e sat nav? Mines usually 15 miles away from where I actually am?

How many satellite you picking up.
You could have a failed GPS antenna.

Mines usually 15 miles away from where I actually am?
Sounds like it's using dead reckoning instead of GPS, so I agree it sounds like a problem with the GPS antenna - either it's dud, or the cable to it has broken/disconnected, or it doesn't have a clear sky view with NO metal above it.

Has it ever worked and only recently failed?

Was close to my local Audi stealer today so thought I'd pop in and ask about the sat nav, I was in work clothes, jeans sweatshirt, boots, greeted at the doors by a suited and booted stuck up doorman, can I help he asked looking down his nose, can someone give me a demo how to set up the sat nav ?, did you buy the car here ? No, have you made an appointment ? No, sorry can't help, so I walked in and was quickly pounced upon by another member of staff, I just wasn't good enough to be in there,
There's an old saying, you can't judge a book by the cover, I own my own business, own house and paid for, all my vehicles are mine, I owe nothing to anyone,
They've lost my future custom.

As an aside asi was getting back in my car one of the spanner monkeys walked by and said good morning every thing ok, need someone to give me an idiots guide to setting up the sat nav but no luck in the showroom, oh jump in ill show you, two minutes later all was clear.

Reactions: DieselJake
Was close to my local Audi stealer today so thought I'd pop in and ask about the sat nav, I was in work clothes, jeans sweatshirt, boots, greeted at the doors by a suited and booted stuck up doorman, can I help he asked looking down his nose, can someone give me a demo how to set up the sat nav ?, did you buy the car here ? No, have you made an appointment ? No, sorry can't help, so I walked in and was quickly pounced upon by another member of staff, I just wasn't good enough to be in there,
There's an old saying, you can't judge a book by the cover, I own my own business, own house and paid for, all my vehicles are mine, I owe nothing to anyone,
They've lost my future custom.

As an aside asi was getting back in my car one of the spanner monkeys walked by and said good morning every thing ok, need someone to give me an idiots guide to setting up the sat nav but no luck in the showroom, oh jump in ill show you, two minutes later all was clear.

Would take that first bit a step further and make a complaint, chances are he'll soon straighten out when his jobs on the line. Don't understand how people can work in customer service and not offer customer service.

Any issues with copy discs?
1. They're harder to read than genuine pressed discs which makes the laser work harder and shortens its life - used to be a big issue but with the revised DVD drive fitted since 2005 its less of a problem than it was.

2. When it gets cold and damp, i.e. most of the Winter, a copy DVD can be unreadable until the heater has warmed up the RNS-E.

Was close to my local Audi stealer today so thought I'd pop in and ask about the sat nav, I was in work clothes, jeans sweatshirt, boots, greeted at the doors by a suited and booted stuck up doorman, can I help he asked looking down his nose, can someone give me a demo how to set up the sat nav ?, did you buy the car here ? No, have you made an appointment ? No, sorry can't help, so I walked in and was quickly pounced upon by another member of staff, I just wasn't good enough to be in there.
Sadly that's not unusual in many Audi dealers - the sales people have an overinflated ego and don't like talking to us normal mortals. I have an RS4 and a Citroen C1 - when I turn up in the RS4 they're all nice and smiles to me but when I turn up in the C1 (to buy parts/accessories for the RS4) the showroom people treat me like a piece of dirt - the Spares Dept guys treat me the same every time though.