Badger5AH Fabrications
    Grumpy Old Man

Status

Guidance for removing and refitting boot trims

Shortly after I bought my B7 saloon, I had a problem with the fuel flap not unlocking. I tried releasing it with the emergency rip cord tucked behind the boot trim, but that had been snapped off. The only solution at the time (it was a dark Friday night and I only had about a thimble full of diesel in the tank) was for a kindly soul at the nearest dealer to deactivate the actuator, leaving the flap permanently unlocked. I then forgot about and never got round to fixing it. That was three years ago.

Then today, I found a replacement mechanism, including the rip cord, on eBay, for £20. I snapped it up and it's on its way. I know I will need to remove the driver's side boot trim. What else will I have to remove, and what do I need to look out for?
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

2. # ADS
    ADS

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Hmmmm. Should have searched first. Found the answer here.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

God Mode

Status
    Forgive my idiocy but is this for the trim at the side or part that holds the wheel well in place as I would quite like the wheel well out of mine for storage reasons (assuming it doesn't have any negative consequences on structural integrity).

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    In my case, it's about removing the inner wing trim on the driver's side, so I can access the fuel flap actuator. From reading the guide in the other thread, I think I will need to pop the spare wheel out to access a couple of bolts. When I do it, I'll post pics.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    OK, well this morning, I had a go at removing the boot trims, and in fact they came off no bother at all. Once I had access to the existing fuel flap actuator, I reconnected the power connector, tested it a few times, and it worked perfectly. I even managed to find the rip cord. It was still attached to the actuator, but was missing its pull handle and had fallen away inside the trim. So I retrieved it, re-located it in its proper palce with the loose end sticking out of the hole at the top of the trim panel for accessing the rear light retaining screw.

Everything is now back together and the fuel flap is locking and unlocking just fine. If it stops working again, I should be able to yank on the cord with a pair of pliers to unlock it manually in an emergency. When the new one arrives, I'll just hold onto it, and if the old one proves troublesome again, I'll get it fitted at the next service.