Car broken down. Multitronic Gearbox went bang

Furkz

Reaction score
Hi I've got a 2005 a4 2.0 tdi 7 speed multitronic and I was driving it today faultlessly and all of a sudden I heard a bang and the car lost all power. When I say all power It revs up but the gears are not selected. So I have no getaway. It doesn't even have park so using the handbrake when parked up.

Got it a bad feeling it's the multitronic box blown up but hoping someone could tell me it's not. Or maybe someone had this problem also and found a cheaper fix

Reactions: Cab Steve
Please excuse my lack of knowledge is multi tronic the same as S tronic / flappy paddles ??

Just had a lovely RAC man tell me it's the cv joint exploded. Never had such good news or been happy to hear that

Please excuse my lack of knowledge is multi tronic the same as S tronic / flappy paddles ??

Nope they are different. Have a read on the net.
IMO S-tronic is better and more reliable.

Just had a lovely RAC man tell me it's the cv joint exploded. Never had such good news or been happy to hear that

Good to hear its not as bad.

Reactions: Furkz
Could have been an expensive week if it was the gearbox :|
The joints are easy to do, place in birmingham sell new driveshafts and joints.

I had the same 2.0tdi 140 with multitronic gearbox, maybe worth changing both driveshafts before the same happens to the other side.

I bought mine from J&R both shafts £100 with 2 year warranty. (And by the way I don't work for them or anything lol just thought they were really good).

Thanks Singh, i got a mechanic coming to check it out tomorrow, see what happens but PHEW if it was the gearbox i'd be breaking the cars for spares and GTFO

I might need to call them tomorrow can you Pm me some contact details and hope they deliver :)

Weird dilemma. Took out the old outer cv and nothing seams to be broken. Took out all the bearings and greased it up and seems to be working. This was only coz the cv joint I bought from euros didn't fit for some bizarre reason. Thing the spacing of the spindle was different. Even though we counted the splines and both were 38

What's the betting my cv joint is gonna jump out again.