Volks AutosSky Insurance
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dpaz

Thread: Caliper Painting - Quick Question!

Neutral

Status

Caliper Painting - Quick Question!

Hi All, My Car is a clean example but the calipers and disc guards are starting to look very tired. I was going to give them a spruce up with some paint and refurb my wheels (from anthracite to silver). My question is: What is the method of going about this? Im putting new discs and pads all round at the same time, so theres no worries with trying to paint round them or anything, its going to be a proper job. What do i need to do to prep the parts? Would a wire brush be alright? I was just going to put on some black hammerite metal paint. Is this paint good enough for the task would you say? Any help would be much appreciated. Kev.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    I did my 3.0tdi quattro callipers 18 months ago. Just used a wire brush & Black smoothrite paint.
    They still look as good as when I first did them.
    Although I do believe there are special paints available for callipers but I've been more than happy with the smoothrite.

4th Gear

Status
    I used wire brush, wire drill bit and hammerite red pad and its a perfect over year ago.

5th Gear

Status
    POR-15. Go see 'Rusty rear wheel hubs' and/or 'Afternoon with the mad professor!!' on the RS3 Forum.

Over the years I've painted the brake calipers of my A2, TT3.2, S3, and TT 2.0 with POR-15, it's a rust preventative paint that's extremely 'tough' and provides long-term gloss.

It is by far the best product I've found (in 40-years and more of hands-on car maintenance).

4th Gear

Status
    I didmine a couple months ago. Wire brush, wire drill bit and ferrari red caliper paint. 1 coat and still shiny new.
    Current - 2006 B7 A4 S Line Saloon 2.0T TFSI Special Edition, Unicorn stage 1 remap, Metallic Dolphin Grey, 18" TTRS Rotors, Ferrari Red front/rear Calipers, 3.5" Powerflow tailpipes, BOSE, Cupra R splitter, Chrome grille slats, S4 Mirror covers, Black/silver leather interior, Debadged, Arm rest delete, LED plate lights, Dectane LED Red/Crystal tail lights, HID 6k, RS 4 pedals, Rev D D/V, APR snub mount, NGK 7s

Gone - 2005 B7 A4 Avant 2.0 TDI

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Craig Cull's Youtube Channel
    Wire brush and some degreaser or brake cleaner. Obviously use heat resistant paint. If you thin it down a touch and put it through a mini jet spray gun, they come out mint. (If you have access to a compressor or know someone that does it makes a much better job)
    K04 hybrid turbo. S3 injectors, Autotech hpfp internals, RS4 fuel pressure regulator, custom FMIC, APR carbonio intake, decat pipe, milltek cat back non resonated 100mm tips, unicorn developments custom remap, launch control and flat shift. Valet mode, economy map and full power map options. Stage 3 southbend clutch with single mass flywheel, Eibach pro street coilovers, eibach front and rear anti roll bars, porsche cayenne 6 pot calipers front, S4 rear brake conversion.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 45bvtc View Post
    POR-15. Go see 'Rusty rear wheel hubs' and/or 'Afternoon with the mad professor!!' on the RS3 Forum.

Over the years I've painted the brake calipers of my A2, TT3.2, S3, and TT 2.0 with POR-15, it's a rust preventative paint that's extremely 'tough' and provides long-term gloss.

It is by far the best product I've found (in 40-years and more of hands-on car maintenance).
    I notice the POR-15 stuff isnt available in a spray can which is a bit of a let down. I wonder if I could get my local paint shop to put it in a can with some thinners.... hmmm...
    45bvtc likes this.

Neutral

Status
    image.jpg
    Wire brush and black hammerite, what do ya think?

Neutral

Status
    Very nice Ray.

Just what i was after. Got myself some Sline decals to go on too. What you have might not be to everyones taste with the badge but i love it and am going to do it. Did you do the disc shield also?

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add A4_MaJiK on Facebook Visit A4_MaJiK's Instagram Channel
    Done mine a few months back, went a bit mad if I'm honest and ended up brush painting over my spray painting LOL.

MTEC Discs + Mintex Pads + Painting Calipers [PICS]

Audi A4 B7 3.0TDI S-Line Sprint Blue
    ~ MTEC DRLs & Sidelights ~ 8000k D1S ~ 19" A6 Le Mans Edition Wheels ~ Eibach Wheel Spacers (5mm F/15mm R) ~ Rear Ambient Lighting ~
    ~ UK Legal Pressed Plates ~ Full Interior LED Lighting ~ Rear Numberplate LED Lights ~ LCR Front Splitter ~

Neutral

Status
    You did go a bit mad with them mate, but my god it was worth it. Look amazing on the car like. Wish mine was a quattro so i could add the decals but ill just be adding "S-Line"

Nice car though mate, and good thorough job on the brakes

Neutral

Status
    I would say if you want good results it is all about the prep work before hand and taking your time like.

I went down the route of wire brush and sand paper and give the calipers and discs a while good cleaning which a screwdriver flat tip came in hand to chip away at crap on the disc vents. I used e tech caliper paint before on a previous car and it is good but i wanted to give this foliatec paint a go as it mixes with a hardener to give a better uniformed finish and easier to clean when dried in. So basically i used the wire brush and sandpaper then i used brake cleaner and done the same process then sprayed more brake cleaner and wiped down to clean so that dirt away and paint sticks no problem with any flaking in future. Then i masked up the work area and used two brushes which a fat one for larger areas for less brush strokes and skinny brush for awkward areas but rule of thumb is two coats of the paint i.e. paint then move onto next caliper and reapeat until all done then back to start for second coat.

I didnt need to do my disc guard but removing the disc would make your job easier and separating the caliper for preping and painting.

I have to paint my discs around hub flange but im trying to see if i can get a close match to L8AU as im getting 18" audi double spokes done in that colour yet to put on. Took the pics while doing it.
    Photo 23-02-2014 16 03 20.jpgPhoto 23-02-2014 16 03 32.jpgPhoto 23-02-2014 17 12 18.jpg
    Last edited by etxeondo; 22nd March 2014 at 15:32.