Chipping my 2.0TDI [140] - Advice needed.

Kev Boy

Reaction score
Hi all,I am considering chipping my B7 S-Line from its 143 standard power. Can these be damaging towards the car in any way? Would you recommend one? I have found one called an Evobox which is very cheap but claims 40% more power, 40% more torque and 20% less diesel used. This means my car would go from: 143 BHP --> 200 BHP, 320 ft/lbs --> 450 ft/lbs and a range from 635 miles --> 762 miles. I know that when you put the foot down it will be worse on consumption, but none of that worries me. Is a cheap chip like this likely to do any sort of wrong doing to my car? Its a low milage shining example of a B7 and i dont want to ruin it, but the 143 bhp is just sluggish in such a big heavy car (1800kg or so). Any help or advice/previous experiences with these would be much appreciated. Any good makes of chips that you could recommend would be much appreciated.Cheers, Kevin.

I suggest you should not bother with a chip and get the car remapped on rolling road its a far better way of getting more power and better fuel economy.

Reactions: DieselJake
I'm considering remapping mine too. Personally I would remap the ecu rather than go add on box, and I generally go by the saying "buy cheap pay twice" so far in my research I have noticed a lot of claims that don't live upto what they say. And have heard some of the generic "cheap" maps out there can harm the engine due to applying incorrect quantities for fuelling boost air etc etc. Currently I'm thinking about a couple of tuners, unicorn motor developments, storm developments and angel tuning for tailored ecu remapping, egr and dpf deletion... ( when funds allow). there is a tuning box company that do sound like they know what they are doing on this forum think they are called tdi tuning, might be worth a look if you go that route..

Thats abit optimistic from 140 to 200. With a remap a 140 can see upto 185.

Also, are you sure it weighs 1800kgs? I've got a 3.0TDi quattro and it doesn't weigh that much.

Yeh i thought this too. 40% increase on power and torque. Seems a bit of an exaggeration.

According to my handbook, my car weighs something like 1762 Kg to be exact. Around that figure anyways. A lot of weight for the 2.0 lump. Made me think that the 3.0 would be a bit more but its not according to the internet.

Also, apologies for my posts. When im at work, it doesnt allow me to put in line breaks for some reason. They are in but when i post it all crams together...

I will give this a miss i think from the comments above. Whats the point in spending 100quid to do thousands of damage when i could just spend 300 - 500 for the proper thing that will be better anyways.

Cheers for all the advice, it is much appreciated!

Reactions: jdp1962 and scotty76
I'm currently considering a remap myself on the same engine. I've spoke to a local company (more bhp - Crewe) regarding the map and I was advised the following. The power will be increased to 180-185 hp safely providing it's done on the rolling road. Reason for this is the pd140's have notoriously crap turbos so it's vital to control the higher boost and prevent spikes that will certainly ruin the turbo. I'm also looking at deleting the whole egr and cooler as one of the pipes has a split. All in I was quoted £285 done including vagcom diagnostics before any work starts. £200 was for the map £55 for the rolling road and £30 for the egr warning light mapped out. Seems pretty reasonable to me all I need then is the egr delete pipe (twin flange to retain ASV) £75 and I'm hoping it'll make a noticeable difference!

Hi - I have a similar question on my BKD 2.0 TDI whereby I wanted to map and egr delete at the same time. However, the MIL is showing up and the fault code reported is 19557 - Motor for Intake Manifold Flap (V157). Now I need to MOT the vehicle as it has been sat for a few months and I wanted to map it as well (since its just he 130bhp model) so I thought that once MOT'ed I could remap and map out the EGR at the same time. However, now I am worried it wont pass MOT tomorrow ?

With regards to the actual EGR - I have read many posts now but I am still confused whether it is worth physically blanking it, or removing it and using a pipe instead or just leaving it in, cleaning it up and doing a simple remap to get the power up? Any thoughts??

Iv recently had my 140 remapped which took it around to 180 mark had dpf gutted and Egr blanked and is now around 200bhp the turbo was already on its way out only noticed this when dpf was gutted as the car was smoking loads but I would recommend it to any one makes a massive difference I love it!!

Motor for intake manifold flap is unrelated to the EGR. They have a plastic gear that fails, the new throttle body to fix can be had for under £100.

The engine performance is unaffected whether a simple blanking plate is fitted, or the EGR cooler and plumbing is removed. A4's tend to suffer more with EGR cooler problems i.e. they leak, so when we do an EGR delete on those we often remove the cooler and repipe the cooling system. In short, if you remove the EGR cooler there is less to go wrong but it doesn't seem to be much of an issue on the A3.

Rick

hanks for the info Rick, I was a bit confused as to how blanking off the egr can cause so much of an increase in power. However I have read that installing a race pipe and stopping recycling of the exhaust gasses can make the engine breathe better? I have looked for the throttle body to replace the part for the intake manifold flap and I haven't managed to find it for less than £100. Any suggestions where to have a look? Also any suggestions for remap in south london.?