I'm new to the forum so please accept my apologies if I break etiquette in any way. I really do hope you can help me with my current problem. I'd like to avoid an expensive visit to my Audi dealership if at all possible.
A bit of background about me - I'm not a DIYer, I can change a wheel, top up fluid levels, change a light bulb etc, but whenever I try anything more complex I usually make things worse. So generally I am at the mercy of unscrupulous garages.
I have a 2006 A4 2.0 TDi S Line, B7 Chassis, BRD engine code. It has done 120K miles now. I've had it about a year and have had little problem with it except that it doesn't like starting in the cold and when ticking over the engine can sometimes feel a bit lumpy. One of the number plate bulbs went recently, and on trying to replace it I broke the other one too :-)
My daily commute is around 40 miles on the motorway each way.
A couple of weeks ago the glow plug system light started flashing occasionally. It would continue to flash until the car was stopped. On restarting, even after a minute, the flashing light would go away and stay away for days. This has probably happened a handful of times.
Last week I was driving home and the light started flashing again but this time the Emission Control System light came on as well which is now on constantly, it doesn't flash, it is on permanently.
I took it to Halfords Autocentre and they managed to get three fault codes out of the system. They cleared the codes but the codes just reappeared after startup. I drove the car home, the ECS light is still on, the glow plug light has not come back on yet.
The codes they found were:
Halfords say they don't know what the codes mean. They normally expect 'P' codes - whatever that means. They suggested I go to Audi.
So a few questions that I hope you may be able to answer:
- Has anyone experienced this problem or something similar?
- Is there a way of finding out what these fault codes mean? I've spent quite a while scouring the internet but found nothing so far.
- I believe not starting well in the cold is generally an indication that the glow plugs need changing. Could this be the underlying issue? Should I just get them changed?
- Should I stop driving the car? (I know, probably something you couldn't/wouldn't want to answer)
- Any suggestions on what I should do next?
- Does anyone know of a good (trustworthy) Audi specialist in Northampton?
Many thanks for taking the time to read my post and thank you in advance for any help you may be able to give.