Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jdp1962
  • 1 Post By jdp1962
  • 1 Post By jjmurphy21187

Thread: Coil springs

Neutral

Status

Coil springs

Just fitted a set of 19s on my 2.0 tfsi avant se and wT to lower it a little bit, what are the best quality springs to buy without it becoming a hard an bouncy ride?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Contact Damian at DPM Performance, one of the tuning/modding firms that sponsor this forum. He can give you lots of information and advice on which springs to buy. I run Eibach springs on mine, and they are outstandingly good. H&R are very well thought of too.
    Macdoon likes this.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

Tiptronic

Status
    H&R and Eibach coem highliy recommended by everyone who buys them.

There is a seller of H&R springs on Germany eBay which is cheaper than buying them in the UK: autoteilemann on eBay

Just double check your part numbers on the H&R website before ordering. Also a 40-50mm drop is ideal with 19", no arch gap

Car: 2007 A4 3.0TDI Quattro S-Line Cabriolet
    Mods: Pipercross Panel Filter, Smarttop, LED Plate Bulbs, LED Interior Bulbs, Blue LED Needles, Remap, EGR Delete, Custom Stainless Exhaust (4" Slash Tips), Cupra-R Splitter, Embossed Number Plates, 19" BBS CH Reps & Vredestein Ultra Sessanta's, 12mm TPI Spacers, -30m H&R Springs, MTEC Black Edition Brakes (Dimpled & Grooved), Mintex Pads, RS4 RARB, Vibe Square Subwoofer in Ski-pass & Alpine MRP-350 Amp

VCDS - PM for details (East Midlands)

Neutral

Status
    Will they rub with that sort of drop? With 4 people in the car?

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanner 1980 View Post
    Will they rub with that sort of drop? With 4 people in the car?
    I repeat, contact Damian, and he will do his best to answer all your questions and steer you to the right springs for your car.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp1962 View Post
    I repeat, contact Damian, and he will do his best to answer all your questions and steer you to the right springs for your car.
    With all due respect Jeff the OP has probably came on public forum to get advice from guys who have springs fitted and have ran them over a period of time. No doubt Damian is a great and helpfull guy but personally I'd rather base my decision around what to buy from people like me instead of a salesman who's on loads of forums especially when I can buy exactly the same product cheaper elsewhere.

Spanner, I run 35mm H&R springs and can have a full car with no rubbing and still comfortable. We probably need to know the specs of the wheels and tyres(width, offsets, profile etc) to give you a definitive answer tho.

Here's mine on 19's with the H&Rs,

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Fair dos.

Reverse Gear

Status
    totally agree with ajax1976. comment above..

1st Gear

Status
    Ajax1976 & jdp1962, do you find your springs give a more comfortable ride than OEM springs? Especially given the state of British roads.

I am considering Eibach for the slightly lower stance, but don't want an even harder ride than current OEM.
    2005 B7 A4 2.0T in Moro Blue

Interior, Number Plate & Sidelight LED's from T8ups, 18" 9 Spoke TT Wheels.
    BGB Engine Code.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Star View Post
    totally agree with ajax1976. comment above..
    As indeed do I on further reflection. Apologies, Spanner.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mancdan View Post
    Ajax1976 & jdp1962, do you find your springs give a more comfortable ride than OEM springs? Especially given the state of British roads.

I am considering Eibach for the slightly lower stance, but don't want an even harder ride than current OEM.
    My starting point was an SE, rather than an S-Line, so the ride was fairly good before. Fitting the Eibachs for lowering purposes has improved the handling without in any way damaging the ride, If anything, it is slightly better too.
    mancdan likes this.

Tiptronic

Status
    Upgraded springs usually makes the ride firmer but less 'crashy', that's the general opinion from forums all over the place for the B7.

Note: The s-line is already 20mm lower than the SE and lowering springs state their drop based on SE original height. I.e. if you have an s-line, a -40mm set of springs will actually lower you a further 20mm. Can make all the difference with changing up a wheel size though...

I went from 18s on s-line springs to 19" on -30mm H&R springs (would've gone for -45/-50mm but they don't make them for my model) and I think it makes a big difference to the arch gap with only 10mm difference
    mancdan likes this.

Car: 2007 A4 3.0TDI Quattro S-Line Cabriolet
    Mods: Pipercross Panel Filter, Smarttop, LED Plate Bulbs, LED Interior Bulbs, Blue LED Needles, Remap, EGR Delete, Custom Stainless Exhaust (4" Slash Tips), Cupra-R Splitter, Embossed Number Plates, 19" BBS CH Reps & Vredestein Ultra Sessanta's, 12mm TPI Spacers, -30m H&R Springs, MTEC Black Edition Brakes (Dimpled & Grooved), Mintex Pads, RS4 RARB, Vibe Square Subwoofer in Ski-pass & Alpine MRP-350 Amp

VCDS - PM for details (East Midlands)

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmurphy21187 View Post
    Upgraded springs usually makes the ride firmer but less 'crashy', that's the general opinion from forums all over the place for the B7.

Note: The s-line is already 20mm lower than the SE and lowering springs state their drop based on SE original height. I.e. if you have an s-line, a -40mm set of springs will actually lower you a further 20mm. Can make all the difference with changing up a wheel size though...

I went from 18s on s-line springs to 19" on -30mm H&R springs (would've gone for -45/-50mm but they don't make them for my model) and I think it makes a big difference to the arch gap with only 10mm difference
    Apologies for hi jacking this one.....but how much work is involved in changing all 4 springs?

BR
    A

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Molnboman View Post
    Apologies for hi jacking this one.....but how much work is involved in changing all 4 springs?

BR
    A
    Let me check my invoice, see how much labour I was billed.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Allan, my garage charged 2.5 hours to change the fronts, 1.5 hours to change the backs, plus 1 further hour for wheel alignment. So five hours labour in all.

Neutral

Status
    No need to argue guys as every ones opinion is valid but what Ajax says is right, I wanted real world opinions as supposed to a salesman on commission trying to sell me any old thing. The tyres are 235 40 19 and it has standard se suspension and it looks like it's on stilts lol.

2nd Gear

Status
    I went from S line suspension, notoriously crashy and unrefined and I've never been in an SE so can't really comment on ride quality.
    Rubbing might be a potential issue tho, you really should be running a 35 series profile, 40 is a bit tall and usually found on an 18" wheel. In effect you wheels are an inch taller than they should be. If you're running a 8" or 8.5" wheel a 235 is perfect but the profile is wrong for me plus your speedo will be reading slightly out.