A4 (short term car) advice needed

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My A5 SB was recently written off so I am in the process of ordering a new vehicle. However, in the meantime it means I need something until it is built (approx. 4 months). I was looking at renting but to me that seems like throwing money away & I am sure Audi wont give me a long term loan :laugh: so I thought if I buy something for around 3.5k I could run it until my car is ready and either the Mrs may have it or sell it on. I was looking at a Golf GT Tdi or Astra CDTi (partly because if the Mrs does want to keep it she likes them), but then after searching on Autotrader I have found an A4 Saloon and A6 Avant (needs to be fairly local to the Northants area really).

I know if I got a Golf or Astra they would be quite high miles but the A4 is 171k so I was just looking for some advice as to peoples opinions on these 2 cars, what to look out for and if I do end up selling them privately will such high miles put people off of because it is an Audi should it be a fairly easy sale? They both seem like good spec. and the A6 has much lower mileage but I prefer the look of the A4.

Also, I assume things such as cambelt are needed on these and if so when should they have been or be changed?

A4:
Used Audi A4 Saloon 2.0 Tdi Tdv Se 4dr in Kettering, Northamptonshire | Kez Cars

A6:
Used Audi A6 Estate 2.5 Tdi 163 Se 5dr Multitronic in Southam, Warwickshire | The Willows Car Sales

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

If it's short term only advice is paying little as possible to maybe even sell at a profit, wouldn't worry about much about anything else except the obvious service and cambelt. Always gambling buying a car regardless but as it's only four months anything that is rotten will flag up within the first couple weeks or last out the time.

Just speaking from personal experience, be weary of the 2.5tdi A6, I had an A4 with the same engine and the high pressure fuel pump died, cost close to £3k to get it fixed. I've read it's not that uncommon of a problem, hence I wouldn't want to risk that kind of repair bill on something 'short term'.

If you're really looking short term, why not look at a B5 or B6? They've lost even more of their value already so you won't lose at much if/when you sell it on...

I've heard the 2.5TDI and Multitronic gearbox is not a great combination to have. There have been many issues with this, and even some Audi techs admit this. There are other forums talking about it.

If it was me.....I'd stay away from any 2.0 diesel and anything automatic...especially multitronic as Diesel Guy suggests. What about a nice tidy B6 1.9tdi manual?.....they are absolutely bulletproof and capable of astronomically high mileages.....As everyone posted before and after.....it's a gamble in either direction....but staying away from the known issues with diesels and automatic boxes may reduce your chances of buying a dog!

Good luck,

BR
Allan

Thanks very much for the info. guys. Hadn't thought about the 1.9tdi as was seeing what the newest vehicle I could get, found a few close by plus can also look at the Passat I guess as that would be the same engine and found a few with pretty low mileage for the age. Audi have offered whatever I get I can use as part ex too so as long as they come up with a decent price it could be worth doing so less hassle than selling it on.