Badger5JMB Retrofits
    Reverse Gear

Status

Ignition key - excessive battery drain

One of my keys has normal battery life but the spare discharges a battery completely flat in less than a week even if it isn't used. This means I have to keep a supply of new batteries handy 'just in case'.

Has anyone else come across this problem and if so, is there a simple fix?

I'd appreciate advice.
    58 plate A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet in Misano Red with retrofitted cruise control and Westfalia removable towbar and dedicated electrics.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Are you sure they are actually dead? My S3 spare key used to do this but once I'd unlocked the car manually and started the car with it it worked fine.
    2002 Nogaro Blue 8L Facelift S3
    WTB. Concert CD player unscratched (8L0035186G)
    Heater control unit unscratched (8L0820043H)
    Headlight switch. (

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnie013 View Post
    Are you sure they are actually dead? My S3 spare key used to do this but once I'd unlocked the car manually and started the car with it it worked fine.
    Yes. I have a battery condition tester that shows the batteries to be completely discharged after a few days.

If I fit a new battery and synchronise the key to the car again, it works fine - but not for long. It's very frustrating.
    58 plate A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet in Misano Red with retrofitted cruise control and Westfalia removable towbar and dedicated electrics.

1st Gear

Status
    Now that is strange! Can't help then I'm afraid buddy.
    2002 Nogaro Blue 8L Facelift S3
    WTB. Concert CD player unscratched (8L0035186G)
    Heater control unit unscratched (8L0820043H)
    Headlight switch. (

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for your interest.

6th Gear

Status
    What's the remote part number i could supply a new remote?
    '02 TDi 130 Sport: Mods to date: BXP 160 conversion, EGR delete, Decat, Helix SMF fast road clutch, 312mm front rotors, full DIS , CC, Xenons.
    VCDS fully registered and happy to help.
    *Need a Spare Key or Remote? SKC retrieval? Clock/ECU swap or milage correction? I am fully insured to work on your vehicle! Offering a good deal and quality service to ASN members Nationwide!*

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklar View Post
    Yes. I have a battery condition tester that shows the batteries to be completely discharged after a few days.

If I fit a new battery and synchronise the key to the car again, it works fine - but not for long. It's very frustrating.
    Sounds like a faulty remote - it hasn't got wet at any stage (like being dropped in the sink or accidentally washed while in a trouser pocket)?
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    Sounds like a faulty remote - it hasn't got wet at any stage (like being dropped in the sink or accidentally washed while in a trouser pocket)?
    No, Dave. It was like that whan I bought the car second hand but I didn't notice the fault until a few months later when I tried to use the spare and it was completely dead. I fitted a new battery, resychronised the key and when I tried to use it again a week later, the battery was dead. It happens every time I replace the battery.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklar View Post
    No, Dave. It was like that whan I bought the car second hand but I didn't notice the fault until a few months later when I tried to use the spare and it was completely dead. I fitted a new battery, resychronised the key and when I tried to use it again a week later, the battery was dead. It happens every time I replace the battery.
    I would say it's definitely a faulty remote, don't bother wasting any more batteries on it - bin it and get another one.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5